What's new

advice on replacing a sub woofer (1 Viewer)

dlfish1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have the Athena Technology Micra M225 Surround Sound system. The subwoofer on it has broken. Can anyone recommend a substitute so that I do not have to replace the entire system (looking to spend no more than $300, used is fine). Here are the specs:Surround System:http://www.athenaspeakers.com/products/m225-specifications/My amp is a Yamaha RX-V663:• Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround, Surround back20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ω ...................................... 95 W • Dynamic Power (IHF)Front L/R, 8/6/4/2 Ω ..................................... 135/165/195/240 W• Maximum Useful Output Power (JEITA) [Asia, General, China and Korea models]1 kHz, 10% THD, 8 Ω .......................................................................................... 130 W• Maximum Output Power [U.K., Europe, Russia and Asia models] Speaker impedance setting: 8 Ω, 1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 4 Ω.......................................................................................... 145 W • Dynamic Headroom [U.S.A. and Canada models]8 Ω ....................................................................................... 1.4 dB• Rated Output Voltage/Output Impedance OUT (REC) .......................................................... 200 mV/1.2 kΩ PRE OUT ................................................................. 1.0 V/1.2 kΩ SUBWOOFER (2ch Stereo, FRONT SP: SMALL)

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So your driver is broken and you just want to replace it while keeping your enclosure and amp? Not recommended. If at all possible get a replacement driver from Athena.

If you still decide to do it, we need more information. What is wrong with the current driver? Surround torn? Then it just needs a re-foam. That can be as low as $10 to repair. Blown voice coil? Then you need a new driver. What is the impedance of the current driver? What is the size of the enclosure? Is it ported or sealed? If ported, what is the enclosure tuned to? Don't know, then measure the port diameter and length and we can figure it out.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What's "broken" about it? Does it make no sound whatsoever? Is the sound distorted and/or weak? If it's just a blown speaker driver, you can probably get a replacement driver from the manufacturer or a local dealer for a LOT under your budget. It's really, really easy to replace a speaker driver!

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i could be wrong, but i think david is looking for a replacement sub, not to fix the old one or replace the driver.

if i understand correctly, the system is the athena micra 6 system, and the m225 is the sub that comes with it. so to find a replacement sub for this for $300 or less...

if you got lucky you could find the system or the sub alone on ebay for very little. doesn't seem likely but you never know.

so basically you are in the market for the best sub for $300 (or less). you might get different responses if you tell us about your room, music tastes and sound priorities (loud, low, accurate) but at this price point you can assume you will be compromising on all of these except maybe loud.

my picks for this would be the monitor audio asw100 or psb 5i from saturdayaudio.com. both are on sale for $300. i'd say i preferred the sound of the monitor audio but the psb has more power (louder). they are both good values. the monitor is smaller if that matters.

whatever you buy, the sats in your system only get down to 100hz so make sure you set the crossover (presumably on your receiver) to 100hz or maybe a little over like 110hz so you're sure not to have a hole in your bass. you don't want to go any higher because you will start to be able to hear the location of the sub, which you do not want.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks