What's new

Looking For New Receiver - Under 600$? (1 Viewer)

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey guys.. its been a long time since i've posted on here. I am looking to upgrade my system and I've been outta the home theater scene for a bit so I am not sure whats new or impressive these days in terms of good new Receivers.
I currently have a Pioneer 1014tx which still sounds amazing but I'm looking to upgrade to something that has HDMI inputs and outputs. When I got the 1014 the thing that sold me is that it was considered to be equivilant to a Pioneer Elite but without all the flashy stuff and high price tag.. I am currently looking at the Pioneer 1020 for 530$ (Canadian) I'd like to keep the price under 600$

Thanks alot!

~mike

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Marantz 5005 (NIB $489 + sh 3 year warranty) from Ac4l.com is about the best deal going right now. They also have the Onkyo 708 as a factory refurbished for $499 + sh with a one year warranty but I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or not. Onecall.com and Vanns.com also have the 5005 listed for $489 shipped on Amazon.com

The 1020 is a fine receiver but it's not just a newer version of the 1014. In order to include all the new features of todays avr's they've had to make some concessions, mainly in the amp section. If you don't need a strong amp (most don't) then the 1020 should be O.K. To get a real Elite reciever in Pioneer clothing you need to step up to the 1120. It has a better amp section and the new Marvel Qdeo video processor.

Others to consider would be the Denon 1912 and the Yamaha and Harman Kardon 2600, if you can find them from an authorized dealer for $600. But that Marantz 5005 is pretty hard to beat at that price.

Before you decide, check the manufactures websites and download the manuals to be sure they can do what you need them to do.

Crutchfield.com is also a great source of information on the brands they carry.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got the SR5005 for my living room system and it is a no-brainer to me. Very nice receiver. It lacks networking capabilities, which I think are mostly marketing garbage anyway. There are plenty of other ways to include that. It does have the single best upgrade path, which is full pre-outs. You can't find another receiver for near the price with that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks