What's new

Looking for new 16:9 HDTV, have restrictions (1 Viewer)

Anthony Sa

Agent
Hey guys, since you all have helped me learn so much in the past few months, I might as well throw this one at you. My father is currently looking for a new widescreen digital RPTV. He currently has a Sony 61HS10 but would like to put a widescreen in the basement (the basement is soon to be a theater-like area) to compliment the new sound system that he will be putting down there. I have tried to convince him to got FPTV but he hates FP and is unfamiliar with it, and thus refuses to try it (even after I explained every detail to him, took me a few weeks...). He wants a widescreen that is around 53'' (can't go bigger because we cant get it down the stairs, nice little 90 degree turn that is impossible to fit things down). The main restriction is not price, but where it is from.
The TV MUST be bought from BEST BUY since a business associate of his has a son who works there. Here are the Best Buy RPTV's
Please help me out here guys, I know you will pull through for me!
The only restriction is the size, but no Grand Wega or Plasma. The TV will be 90% movies and 10% TV, so good picture is obviously a must have!
Thanks Again!

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Of the widescreen sets available at BB, your best choices would be the Pioneer 533HD-5, the Sony KP51HW40, or the Toshiba 50H81.
The Pioneer is a bit pricey at $3499, but they did discount it to $2999 for a month or so last fall and may do so again. This model does not have a self-convergence feature like the Tosh or Sony, so your dad may prefer one of them.
You might want to check out Home Theater Spot for pros and cons on these 3 sets.
I have the 57 inch version of the Sony and am very happy with it.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
The 16:9 area on the Sony 61HS10 is almost exactly 53" measured diagonally...why does your dad want to upgrade? I could see going to front projection, but if he's constrained to a 53" 16:9 RPTV, you're going to notice very little difference between the new set and what you already have. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks