What's new

looking for dvd player comparable to RP82 but not progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Dougie B

Auditioning
Hi everyone ! This is my first post here, after having read many posts concerning a great many issues/categories. I've been in the market for a dvd player, and after seeing how many positive reviews and remarks were made about the Panasonic RP 82, I was just about convinced to take the plunge. Unfortunately yet fortunately (I'll explain) all of the stores I've gone to have claimed that it's been discontinued..though I still can get it online and at this one side place on Canal Street in NYC. (where I reside)
Anyway, I've decided that I really have no use for a progressive scan player since I don't have a HDTV, nor do I plan on getting one anytime soon. I'm pretty happy with my cinema series Toshiba. Here's my question:
Which Panasonic model most closely resembles the RP 82 but with no Prog scan ? Does it have a non prog scan sibling ?
Thanks, and glad to be aboard ! :)
D.R.B.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dougie, welcome aboard. ;) It seems that the 'RP82 is disappearing fast. A player to consider is the Panasonic DVD-RA60, which is an interlaced (non-progressive-scan) DVD-Audio player. It is last year's model, but last time I checked, 6th Avenue Electronics had it on close-out on their web site for a mere $117. Check www.6ave.com for more information.
Panasonic does not offer an interlaced DVD-Audio player in its range any longer.

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
people will love this....I would say the rp-82 is a low quality player, the fact that it has a top notch de-interlacer is the reason people freak over it. The build quality is horrible. Look for a Sony 7700 used, it's as good as it gets in the interlaced world. But really, why not just get a progressive player anyhow, the cost diff is very slim.

Dougie B

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice keith. I checked up on it and to tell the truth, I wasn't too happy with alot of the reviews...Some telling of bad scanning lines, others of bad MP3 interface/support etc. I don't really care so much for DVD-A as much as I do for great PQ. That's number one on my list of priorities. Number 2 is good audio/ DTS or DD encoding since my receiver doesn't have that. Well, DD, but not DTS. Definetely has to support MP3 playback. What did you mean by
Panasonic does not offer an interlaced DVD-Audio player in its range any longer.
Did you mean that to get a player with an interlacing function, I'm going to pay throught the nose ? If I'm going to wind up spending $200 for a player that I like just because it has interlacing, I may as well go for the RP 82 in that case. I just figured that I could get away with spending half that for one with out Prog scan.

Dougie B

Auditioning
Hey Ben.
Point well taken about the minimal price difference. That's sort of what I figured but, perhaps what I should have asked was "What Panasonic or other DVD player is comparable to the RP 82 in that it doesn't suffer from the Chroma bug and has PQ to match it for the same price or lower ?" I'm definetely not going to spend more than 2 clams at this point being that (believe it or not) this is my first dvd player. (Go head and snicker..just never had the time) :)
I must say though, I'm very picky about picture and sound quality...I've got a very fine tuned ear (musician..Jazz blues and write compositions for films for fun...not professionally) and a very discerning eye when it comes to detail. So I don't want just any rinky - dink, run o' the mill dvd player like what you get with the PS 2. I was really sold on getting a Panasonic, but if you guys want to fill me in on another manufacturer who makes their own encoder chip and is of good build quality OR if there's another Panasonic to consider...I'd be glad to listen.
Thanks !
Doug.
P.S. I'll look at the sony (I never buy used...don't like head-aches) but I've personally always stayed as far away from them as if they were bearers of the plague.

Dougie B

Auditioning
Well, after reading spec sheets and multiple reviews, I think that I've come to a decision which involves three models..it's a showdown between the
Panasonic RA 60
panasonic rp 62
panasonic DVD RP56
The differences between the RA 60 and the other 2 is tht the 60 has DVD-A and the others are progressive scan but don't have DVD-A. so now it boils down to which of the three have better qualities whether they be in the Audio or video dept. Also, I think that the 62 is capable of playing dvd-r while the 56 is not ? I'm tired and that could be backward :) Hopefully, I'll wake up refreshed and find a bunch of answers from you guys while waiting for my Koss Porta Pros to arrive via UPS.
Good night.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dougie,

I would grab the RP82 if you can. It has the superior Panasonic MEPG Decoder that the RP91 had, while the RP62 uses an inferior MPEG decoder chip then the RP82. This will result in the RP82 having both a better interlaced and progressive picture then the RP62 plus it has DVD-A.

Dougie B

Auditioning
James, around where I live there's a place named B&H Photo. I actually found their web site before I even knew that they existed..The way I found them was through www.resellerratings.com they seemed to have the RP 82 and also got some of the best ratings around. Then after realizing they were in NYC, I actually went to the store...What a mob scene it is in there ! (crowd, not mafia :) Anyway, they're currently out of stock, but one of the salesmen told me to check back in a couple of weeks (that was about a week ago) because they should be getting them back in. Since then, I've heard from at least 3 different retail stores such as J&R, the Wiz, Pc Richards etc. that they've been discontinued...so I called Panasonic and they say that this is not the case, but rather that they've been "undersold" and "under stocked" At this point, I'm not sure of who to believe anymore.
So this brings me to my next question for you Jason
HOW superior do you consider superior ? (The decoder chips) Do you think that it might be wise to wait until the RP 82's successor is available ? I mean, there should be one if the 82 is discontinued right ? very confusing dilemma here. I'll probably check back at B&H AND this one other place:
I stopped into this store near Canal St. and they told me that they could order it for me for around $220 but it would take 4 weeks. Here's the information:
Ti-Tone Communications Inc.
390 Broadway, New York, Ny 10013
Tel:212-431-7765 fax:212 925-8375
E-mail: [email protected]
License # 0902635/0858605:Licensed by the Dept. of consumer affairs.
They're an authorized dealer for Panasonic; DBS and Toshiba.
The store did not have any of the usual "grey market" looks to it..quite the opposite, so it would appear that the Authorized part is true...The 2 clerks at the front desk were donned in some standard company branded uniform and they had everything that a professional should have in order to conduct business...I guess I'm trying to say that they appear to be on the up and up.
If anyone tries to get one through them and runs into some shipping problem in case they have some wierd shipping policy, let me know and I'll take it upon myself to pick it up and ship it for you. (Or something to that effect)
P.S. Please call me Doug..I had to use dougie cause Doug B was already a user name. Thanks ! :) Not a big deal though.
D.R.B.

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Dougie,

By saying superior I mean a noticable PQ difference between the RP62 and RP82. Try to compare the two for yourself, you will probably find the RP82 to be more 3D, sharper, and to have better color saturation. Try calling Ultimate Electronic's Corp Office. They have some RP82s In Stock and they will ship you an RP82 if you don't have a local store. Good Luck.

Ryan Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Ben, I've got a bone to pick with you...
excellent said:
The way you worded this in your posting made it sound like the de-interlacer was just a cheap gimmick. The reality is that a high quality progressive player is supposed have a top notch deinterlacer.
I'm sorry Ben, but comparing the S7700 to a 2002 progressive unit under a completely different price range just doesn't make much sense.
Dougie, good luck in your DVD player search!
Ryan

Dougie B

Auditioning
jason, do you have the number for Ultimate Electronics cooperate office ? I'd appreciate it. I did visit the web site and was directed to one particular place ABT I think..who will be restocking them towards the beginning of January. $229 was their price. How much does the cooperate office want for it ?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dougie,

What I was saying is that all Panasonic DVD-Audio players do progressive-scan now. Of course, you can use any of them in interlaced mode.

Regarding the 'RA60, I had not read such bad reviews of it. Interesting. Everything I have read about it has been positive. Perhaps you should continue your search for an 'RP82. Alternatively, you might want to track down the Panasonic 'XP50, which is similar to the 'RP82. The 'XP50 offers progressive-scan output and DVD-Audio, but it is in a thinner, more stylish chassis. Also, the 'XP50 offers gold-plated RCA outputs and a coaxial digital output, unlike the 'RP82. Crutchfield recently had the 'XP50 for $250, but they have sold out of it. You may still be able to find one out there.

Note that Ultimate Electronics is based in the western part of the US. I don't know if they ship nationwide. I doubt it. Good Guys, another western US chain, does not ship outside its region.

Ben,

I also disagree wholeheartedly with your assessment of the 'RP82. For $230, the build quality is very good. Also, there are a number of more expensive players out there that do not have as good a deinterlacer as the 'RP82. Panasonic really has its act together in that department. Note that I do not own the 'RP82, so I am not biased. I just know an exceptional bargain when I see one.

Ben Hanrahan

Stunt Coordinator
I'll sell my RP-56 for $125 shipped if anyone wants it. As far as build quality goes you're all right, but you definitely get what you pay for. The panny's are $230 and there's a reason for that. That being said, they're probably quite serviceable, but I've heard complaints about the rp-82 being very noisy and those are the type of problems that I don't want to have.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ben, the 'RP82 is not a high-end player by any means, but it is better than a lot of budget players as well as some more expensive models in that it doesn't show the chroma bug. For $230, it is a great deal. You can't expect high-end performance at the price, but when compared to other budget players, you might expect worse than what the 'RP82 delivers.

Dougie B

Auditioning
I made up my mind. I'm not buying any of them ! Not now anyway...I've got a Lian-Li Pc 70 that's just begging to be dealt with. So I've decided to get the remaining parts I need to finish building it and I figure that by the time I'm ready to get the dvd plyaer, the whole which one should I get issue won't BE an issue anymore. Thank you all very much for you input, it was a great help to me. :)
I'll be back.......
Be well and HAPPY NEW YEAR !
Douglas.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Dougie,

the Panasonic RA-60 is a very solid interlaced player. It uses the same highly-regarded MPEG decoder as the RP-91 and RP-82, plus offers DVD-Audio. People might complain about the MP3 interface (which I've never tried to be honest), but anyone complaining about the video quality has a bad unit or a bad link elsewhere in their system, IMO

at $117 this player is a steal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks