What's new

looking for another DVD player (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey guys, I'll be getting a new HDTV in the bedroom soon and am looking for a decent DVD player to compliment it.

I'm thinking that I want progressive scan(this appears to be a standard feature since I bought my current player 5 years ago), and I'd like to try to stay under $200. I think this will be pretty easy to accomplish since I've been looking around and I've seen plenty of nice looking progressive scan players for $60-$150.

I have a question though concerning some of these newer upscaling players I'm seeing. It is my understanding that these players take a standard DVD, capable of displaying at 480P, and upconvert that signal to an "HD" 1080i signal. Am I right here? Should I consider picking up one of these instead of a progressive scan player? will I see a benefit?

Thanks!

Marc Doggett

Agent
Hi Keith,

What TV are you feeding... and what inputs does it have and support what resolutions, and I can give you a very good answer... hopefully. :)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle

I'm looking at getting one of the 30 inch CRT Toshiba models. The model I'm looking at has component, and HDMI. I'm pretty sure the Tv will do 1080i, and 720p (upconverted to 1080i). I'm kind of a novice to all this HD stuff, been in to HT for years but never have done HD, so I'm not sure if I'm answering your questions right.

The last DVD player I bought was a standard non-progressive scan model, and at a time when there was no such thing as upconversion.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks