What's new

Looking for affordable 2.1 speaker system (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a little 2.1 system (small mains, doesn't have to be as small as Bose cubes) that can be mounted on stands (no PC speakers that are designed for desktop use only) and a fairly small sub.
Even better would be if the whole system were powered so I would not have to use a receiver. I do have a receiver available if needed, but I'm not sure if I can fit it in the TV stand.
Any suggestions?
Geez, I can't believe I just said all that I just said.
Well, to put this in perspective, this is not for my home theater system...this is for the 'regular' 27" TV upstairs that is only used for watching (some) TV...not even movies. I'm just sick and tired of the terrible sound from the internal stereo speakers.

Robin Casady

Agent
I'm using a pair of NHT 1.5 for my bedroom TV. They are currently on sale at onecall.com for $326.27 pair which is getting near half price ($600 at Crutchfield).

I really like this speaker. It is very smooth. When NHT designed it, the idea was to make the best small speaker regardless of price.

The 1.5 is not shielded, so it cannot be right next to your TV.

There is also a matching center speaker (NHT AudioCenter1) on sale for about $300. it is shielded.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Ok, these are mainly PC speakers, but they have gotten quite resounding reviews for sounding good. They have stands available as well, I think.
I'm thinking about the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system
Seem to fit what you described fairly well - powered, standmountable, good sound.
However, there seems to have been some quality issues with the Promedia gear at least according to the forums etc... no firsthand experience with these, just lots of glowing reviews mainly on PC gear sites. At $179 they're pretty affordable too. The Omnimount stands are just below $90 if memory serves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks