What's new

Look at my DVD collection. Tell me what you think. (1 Viewer)

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like a good start!

Bjorn -- Yojimbo, Sanjuro, and Hidden Fortress --no Seven Samurai? I didn't check your LD list, probably there, eh?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's a great start, too. Nice variety.
In another post, you talk about the value and cost/waste of buying DVD's. Now that I see that some of your purchases were perhaps rather pricey - at least their MSRP's are - I can see where you are coming from. I hope you're shopping around a bit!
Check the Bargains and Coupons section of the HTF. Each week, on Sunday or Monday, I post a "Weekly Roundup" of new items being released the following Tuesday. I list the titles that MY family wants to buy (I do this for me, primarily, but I share it with the HTF...why not?), with perhaps a couple of other hot titles thrown in that many HTFers would want to know about. I do a quick compare of the B&M's (that's HTF talk for Brick-&-Mortar, which refers to non-online stores) and their prices. "The Grid" has prices for Best Buy, Circuit City, CostCo, and Sam's Club, but starts with prices for Amazon...just to have a compare-able "baseline" of what the biggest e-tailer in the world is selling that DVD for. Below The Grid, I list a catch-as-catch-can of what other bargains are going on and what some other B&M's are doing; Target, K-Mart, Wal-Mart when I'm able to, FYE and Tower sometimes, and anything else that I hear about. I also list the old titles getting marked down that week, where possible.
You have a nifty start there. It looks like you're concentrating on the "classics" where buying is concerned, but don't skip out on getting a movie you always thought was fun if the price is right. Airplane! is a step in the right direction. Don't be afraid to get sillier than that. If you enjoyed Link Removed and can still find a copy of this OOP disc for $14.99 or less (check FYE or Borders if you do happen to like this one!), then go ahead and add it to your collection like I did!
Someone at work asked me recently if I had so many discs because I have a lot of "junk" in there. I told him that "it's not junk to me". :)
Enjoy your collection, and most of all don't let anyone else - not even me with my "advice" above - tell you what should or should not be in there. It's for YOU, after all!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Can somebody please tell me how I make my DVD profiler available like Kevin? I have DVD profiler on my computer and would like to make a link to my DVD profiler list. Please?

Please feel free to e-mail or Private message me if you don't want to post in this thread.

Thanks!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yep, nice start! But you must run out right now and pick up The Third Man CC and Chicken Run! :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Sean, the Yojimbo,... reference was for Bjorn's collection, which is linked under his sig, and NOT the collection of the original poster (which has 16).

All that said, Kevin, are there anything in your collection that you particularly liked and want to see more of??

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Oh, Thanks Steve, my bad.

Will somebody PM me or post on how I can make a link to my DVD profiler? Please?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have 6 of those 16 titles. I would also recommend...

- Gladiator

- Vertical Limit (if you like the film)

- The Mask Of Zorro

- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

- The Perfect Storm

- X-Men

- The Fifth Element (SB)

- Men In Black

- Jurassic Park - Terminator 2

- Dinosaur

- Titan AE

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Of the top of my head, I'd reccommend:
Mallrats: Collector's Edition
Ghostbusters: Collector's Edition
Superman: The Movie: Special Edition
Die Hard: Five Star Collection
Gladiator: Signature Selection
Forrest Gump: Special Edition
I'm sure those with bigger collections than my own can offer more variety and more obsure titles worth having.
Cheers and good choices so far.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have 9 of your titles (Citizen Kane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail: SE, Snow White, Shrek, Young Frankenstein, Fantasia Anthology (counted as two), Airplane!, and The Wizard of Oz: SE.) and you have a great collection already!

I reccomend you picking up the following:

City Lights

Modern Times

Dumbo

Doctor Zhivago

Lawrence of Arabia

North By Northwest

Nosferatu: Special Edition (red cover)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Any collection with a good number of the Disney Collector's Edition DVDs is more than alright in my book! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks