What's new

Long Narrow room.. 4:3 screen width of room.. why should i.,.. (1 Viewer)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I have a long Narrow room, currently i have a 4:3 projector and screen which nearly covers the entire wall. I watch probably 50/50 4:3/widescreen material. ...

Im telling you this because i plan to upgrade my projector in the near future and want to find out if there is any reason why i should consider a 16:9 projector given these circumstances. (with a 4:3 projector i am not losing any size when watching 16:9 material, with a 16:9 pj i would be losing alot of size with 4:3 material)

get it? let me know if ive lost you yet...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton

It depends on your point of view, really. When I watch 16:9 material on a 4:3 screen, I feel I am sacrificing a significant amount of "size" because in order to fit the full widescreen image into the 4:3 screen, it has to get smaller vertically, thus resulting in black bars, which I consider "wasted space".

It's an interesting argument, actually. I think the years and years of watching letterbox movies on 4:3 screens has given most of the population the perspective that 4:3 is "bigger" since it filled the whole screen. I've always believed the opposite - that widescreen material expanded the screen BEYOND the confines of the 4:3 box, and is therefore always "bigger" than 4:3 material.

Personally, I also prefer the feeling that watching widescreen movies is a "bigger" event than watching "Seinfeld" reruns - hence my display system is biased towards widescreen material.

There are also arguments (that I'm sure you've heard ad nauseum) about how 16:9 is the wave of the future, and 4:3 programming will only diminish over time. You may find it difficult in the coming years to even find a 4:3 projector.

Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but 16:9.

-Jason

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Get yourself the Panny AE700 and a new widescreen screen.

For the money (about $2,000) it's hard to beat... until the D5 LCD chips come out next year at up to 1920x1080p resolution. However, they may be pricey.

I'd love to see HD2+ 720p DLP projectors with the newer 7 segment color wheel drop in price significantly with all this talk of 1920x1080p chips arriving next year, but with TI's strange DMD chip pricing strategy I don't see it happening soon.

Dan

Jimi C

Screenwriter

I just want to clarify, I do not have the space to get a 16:9 screen that is any wider than my current 4:3 screen which spans from wall to wall.

I would really hate to have to get rid of this screen. I got a great deal on it.. $250 for a 84" motorized Draper w/remote. I have it installed so that it drops right in front of my entertainment center and my television.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I don't understand getting a widescreen projector if you watch a 50% mix. That would mean that if you watch 4:3 material you'd have to watch it within the 16:9 screen. A smaller picture than before. Unless of coarse your 4:3 material is cable? Then the picture would look better.
Maybe with a 800 x 600 fullscreen projector in widescreen you'd loose some resolution than what a widescreen projector would have to offer.
If you're going for a higher resolution projector?
http://www.projectorcentral.com/format_resolution.htm

Jimi C

Screenwriter

My current projector is only 640x480 so i definatly want something with better resolution, better black levels and a short throw lens.

That NEC LT240K looks like it would be perfect.. does anyone have experience with NEC projectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks