What's new

Long and thin or short and wide--Room lay-out help, get your mind out of the gutter. (1 Viewer)

Greg Risley

Second Unit
I have a good problem. My theater is a dedicated enclosed room with light control measuring 17' x 12'8" with 9" ceiling. With my current CRT projector layout to get the 80" wide image I had set the room up with the screen on the short wall and the seating position 12' back. The wife has never liked the big CRT hanging from the ceiling and when I showed her the NEC LT150 projector the other day and had just sold my old truck she said I could buy one. Well thanks to the small size and short throw distance of the NEC projector it leaves me the option of turning the theater lay out sideways, by moving the screen to the long wall and the seating position up against the wall (same distance away from the screen as the previous layout). Directly behind the new seating position is a window with a very good blackout blind and curtains. I played with this layout last night in just a stereo config. and it sure was a nice sound stage but my problem lies in the surrounds. I have Def. Tech. BP-10's. So how would I place these surrounds? Before I had them set-up in the corners pulled out from the walls and pointed directly at the sweet spot and I got great surround, it even gave a phantom center image when needed. The projector isn't here yet, and I just painted the room so everything is out of the room and now is the time to really set it up right, also the wife isn't going to let me leave all the stuff out in the formal living room for to much longer, so I don't have a lot of time to play with different lay outs so any suggestions would be gladly take. Sorry this is so long.
Thanks
Greg

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Keep the screen on the short wall as it is.
You wouldn't be able to easily do 7.1 surround at some future date the other way.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Greg,
Long time no see or hear from. How have you been? Looks like you have been a busy boy again.
I second the notion of keeping the screen on the short wall. I think you will be much happier with the sound. Can you mount the new projector in a cabinet that is on the floor (coffee table height)?
I have several A/V Interior mags that have similar layouts that I can let you borrow. Send me an email and I will forward you my work phone and maybe we can hook up one evening soon.
Have you checked with Nils yet on the new setup?
Frederick

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The only problem with the wide width, short depth room lies in the placement of the surrounds (especially direct firing speakers). Dipoles are easier to place and can be 2ft from the back wall, practically in line with where you would sit- so they would be to each side of you. I was never a fan of placing directs to the sides. I always preferred them to the back where the sound should be coming from. The further back you place them, the more natural the sound. I also do not like direct surrounds right behind my back a few inches away. The need room to "breathe".
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Hey Frederick. Hows things? I think you guys are right. For 2 channel the long wall set-up is nice but it totally ruins surround, so the screen stays where it is. Now I just got to get in that little beauty of a projector in. I think since the LT150 is so small that the cieling mount won't matter that much to the wife. I'll post some new pic's when I'm finished.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks