What's new

London in 'hot weather' Shocker! (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Panic gripped the streets of London this morning when patches of sky took on an unusual blue colour and a ball of fire appeared above the city.
The phenomenon, known as the 'Sun' and commonly found in Mediterranean countries, unleashed a terrifying heat and brightness upon the capital, causing some pedestrians to panic and seek shelter, some bravely took off their hats and scarves, while motorists were able to turn both their headlights and wipers off.
Tony Blair addressed the nation urging people to be calm and return to work as normal stating: "We've seen this sort of thing before", he said, "but it never lasts."
There are forecasts that the 'Sun' could be seen throughout the weekend but a spokesman for the PM said, "I wouldn't hold my breath".

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
It rained here last night for the first time in weeks (fast hard rain for several hours). Ground sucked it up so fast when I looked out at 6:30am I couldn't even tell it had rained.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
it was 103F/39C here the day before yeasterday.. I would welcome some English "summer" weather :)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I got caught out in a fast moving downpour two nights ago. Of course it was like 94° with like 95% humidity that day so it actually felt great and refreshing. It was flooding the roads though and I took a bypass from the trails cause they would of been mud so I got to see the sewer drains overflowing and cars backed up on the highway due to some accident. Great because the past two days have been perfect cycling weather and the rides to and from work have been great.

Rain isn't supposed to appear around NYC until next week!

Jay

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Steve, great post! :emoji_thumbsup:
I took a trip to London back in May. I remember one day where there was an EXTREMELY tiny 'hole' in the clouds where some blue sky was showing. Everyone I was talking to that day kept commenting on how great the weather was :)
To be fair, the last day I spent in London was a gorgeous day! Not a single cloud in sight. I was still carrying my umbrella though :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
David the weather has changed 4 times today, all we need now is a snowfall to make my day complete.:D
Oh well it looks like summer has been called off this year for us Londoners, bugger, and I so wanted to try out my sexy new Spiderman shorts, oh well.. wheres my blanket? Brrrr...

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
David the weather has changed 4 times today, all we need now is a snowfall to make my day complete.
When I was in London a few years back, playing the ole' licorish stick in smyphonic band, I was quite shocked to see the differences, weather wise.

Let me preface this by reminding you that I'm Canadian.

We were expected to play, out of doors, during freezeing rain. But when it snowed for 20 minutes, and left what I'd not even call a 'dusting,' London literally shut down.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to what that young whippersnapper Christou has said, we've had a very nice summer. It lasted the first few days of July, and now we're looking forward to autumn.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
That thing in the sky .....the sun , I believe. I think it's the root of all the UFO reports.
After living in San Francisco I always thought London was too damn hot....banana belt if you ask me.
I also think that London Fog is a myth.
The 49ers (grid iron as you refer to it) used to play in my neighborhood. After a touchdown once, the player had to tap the ref on the arm to show that he scored and he had the football.
One thing that always gets me is the snow that you see in London in historical movies etc. When did it stop snowing there?
Ive read that San Francisco use to get feet of snow before the 1906 Earthquake. The quake changed the water currents so now even a few flakes is pretty rare

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A couple of years ago we escaped the 95 F/90% humidity of Houston by coming to London.
The day after we got there this terrible plague struck. Our hotel room got rather hot so we spent a lot more time in Hyde Park.
Do you realize people don't have AC units over there? What are you guys trying to do, relive the Renaissance or something? ;)

RogerB

Second Unit
My sister-in-law just got back from London. She said it was cold and rainy. The good news is she got to see some Wimbledon semi-final matches for $8. She had bid up to $450 on a pair of tickets on Ebay and, thankfully, lost.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steve:
I sent you a PM asking for that "burning" object back. It's ours. We have, of course, enough warm weather to last--it's 80 degrees F at 9:35 p.m. PDT (yes, 9:35) as I type. But we like that ball of fire in our Southern Californian skies.
San Francisco doesn't know how to use that ball of fire. :)
JB

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
funny, in 1999 when I was in London in late September, I remember it was a nice blazing 28C or so for several days. blue skies, bright sun, everything! I felt a bit of an idiot the first day (I'd arrived very early that morning) for having brought a windbreaker out with me when I'd left the hotel; the next few days it was T-shirts/polos only!

I then went to Italy for a few days. on the way back (by now, early October), I transited in Stansted on the way to Stockholm. by now it was a chilly 11C outside -- chilly to me, I live in 30C+ 90%+ humidity all year long...

strange phenomenon, London weather...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great Balls of Fire, Jack! I'm jealous I wish we had some of that Californian sunshine over here, the only time it gets hot here is when I have Sandra in my evil clutches [maniacal laughter ensues].
Hard to believe that a ball of fire 865,000 miles in diameter, burning at 15 million degrees can't penetrate the cloudy skies of London!:eek:
Oh well it is getting a bit chilly, time for an evil clutch methinks, I'll be wearing Sandra tonight, must keep warm (if that isn't sexist I don't know what is).;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks