What's new

Logo! channel premieres! (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
News:
When the Logo cable channel debuts Thursday on cable television systems reaching 10 million homes, it will make history as the first basic cable channel aimed specifically at LGBT audiences.

Logo is the newest channel from the MTV Networks, a part of media giant Viacom, which also owns the CBS network. Logo will initially be seen on cable systems in 20 U.S. cities, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia and Atlanta.

Logo will air movies, documentaries and original series programs. It is also teaming up with CBS News to present LGBT news stories and headlines.

The first program scheduled to air on Logo this Thursday will be a documentary about the history of gay Americans. That will be followed by documentaries about gay rugby players, transgender actresses, lesbian surfers, gay Republicans and teenagers with same-sex parents.

The network is developing a scripted series called "Noah's Arc," about a group of African-American gay men living in Santa Monica, Calif.

Logo's lineup will also include a reality program about same-sex weddings, hosted by gay actor Scott Thompson, and it is gearing up for the first-ever telecast of the annual GLAAD Media Awards.

Logo will compete with two existing gay channels, Here! and Q Television. But while those two networks are offered on a premium subscription or pay-per-view basis without ads, Logo will operate as a basic cable channel, complete with commercial breaks, available on any cable or satellite operators that choose to offer it.

Logo General Manager Lisa Sherman told Reuters news service that studies have estimated there were some 15 million openly gay people in America, an attractive demographic for advertisers. Companies are already lining up to advertise on the new channel, including travel company Orbitz, carmaker Subaru, mobile phone maker Motorola and Miller Lite.

Logo president Brian Graden told the New York Times that advertisers see LGBT people as a largely untapped market segment. "In a world of 400 channels, there aren't that many underserved markets left. As a business opportunity, people get it," he said.

Anti-gay groups are already criticizing the new network.

Janice Crouse, a senior fellow at Concerned Women for America, which describes itself as a conservative evangelical group of 500,000 members, said it was "unconscionable" to present a positive view of a promiscuous lifestyle that causes "illnesses and diseases."
----------------------

Not even addressing the last line, I'm pretty happy about this. I'm just wondering how many cable companies are actually going to carry this. I know Time Warner here in NYC is carrying it but that's a big "duh."

Anyone catch it starting yesterday?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
What's with that channel's name? It makes me fear for the bottom-right corner of the screen!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Why does Comcast carrying a channel make you glad you don't get Comcast? Even if you had comcast, it doesn't force you to watch it, and pretty much all cable/satellite receivers allow you to block individual channels.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
I just noticed that Directv had the channel and an Indigo Girls concert was on. It made me laugh. But hey if there's some good stuff on the channel like the show Wonderfalls and they show movies letterboxed like IFC I'll check it out. And I ain't gay by the way, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit

What do you mean by this remark? You don't agree with Comcast carrying a channel that caters a group of 15 million largely affluent people?

I for one say it is about damm time we got our own channel. Everyone else seems to have one. Congratulations Comcast for taking the step and carrying Logo.

Laters,
Jeff

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

It is statements like this which make me want to chant "We're here, we're queer, get used to it."

Frankly, I've come to expect better behavior of the participants on this forum.

Meanwhile, I have one more reason to consider transferring from E* to D* satellite.

- Steve

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok so what does LOGO mean and what does LGBT mean?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I have no idea if LOGO is an acronym or the world's stupidest network name next to Spike, but LGBT stands for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and it's used to represent the entire community. It's gonna take forever before LOGO trickles down to my local cable system... if it ever does.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
LOGO... "Lesbian Only / Gay Only"? Just a WAG. And probably a bad one, since it does not include every last stripe in the rainbow flag.

- Steve

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Now how I do e-mail Comcast and request this channel?

That was unwarranted. Please keep such ugly comments to yourself.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

I wonder how many people felt compelled to make a comment akin to that when BET was launced.

Don't like it, don't watch it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I doubt that even those who thought such a thing would have gone as far as to post something like that publicly - unless on some nut-job hate site. Even if you think ugly thoughts (and which of us hasn't had an ugly thought from time to time?) ordinary courtesy - or at least prudence - would suggest keeping such ideas to oneself.

Regards,

Joe

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well it's not like only animals watch animal planet....people like it too! Somebody with opposable thumbs has to hook up the cable

And if you don't fit in to their planned demographics; I am sure the occasional lesbian sex movie /reality dating thing will fluff their ratings.... so to speak
More so if they are brave Americans who uphold their rights to show Naked lesbians.....(I think it was a good effort to bring the 4th of July tie into this thread. Freedom to watch naked lesbians is a God given right like automatic weapons, roman candles and freedom to file frivolous lawsuits)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
We got it on Direct TV over the weekend. Some interesting shows and movies and even the disaster that was Cant Stop The Music.
Hope they expand upon the schedule and offer more of a selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks