What's new

Loews Jersey October Film Program (1 Viewer)

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
I am passing on the following promotional announcement for the Loews Jersey's (in Jersey City, NJ) October film schedule:
Are you looking for a King; a Count; some friendly (and not-so-friendly) ghosts; and a pair of "Mighty Monsters locked in Mortal Combat" all in one thrill-packed weekend? Well, who ya gonna call? The magnificent Loew's Jersey of course! The Metropolitan Area's premiere movie palace venue for classic film proudly presents its first annual Halloween Horror Spooktacular!
On Friday October 25th, the 8th Wonder of the World returns to Journal Square for the first time in nearly 70 years. The original KING KONG (1933), the landmark classic that set the standard for stop-motion special effects, will be presented on our huge 50-foot screen in a beautiful 35mm print. This new print includes deleted scenes that were cut in the late 1930's, and have only recently been restored from 35mm materials. Also shown will be the classic 1942 Tom and Jerry cartoon, FRAIDY CAT.
On Saturday October 26th, our matinee presentation is the hilarious 1984 comedy GHOSTBUSTERS, starring Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd. This brand new stereo print will be presented in wide screen Panavision. Also on hand for this special kiddie matinee will be Casper, the Friendly Ghost in a newly restored print of the 1954 cartoon, BOO MOON.
Saturday evening, October 26th, is a double-feature that any horror fan can sink their teeth into: FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN (1943), starring horror icons Lon Chaney Jr. and Bela Lugosi, will be shown in a new 35mm print. Plus, the 1958 Hammer Studios classic HORROR OF DRACULA, starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, will be presented in an archival, Technicolor print. This film helped to launch the enormously successful horror cycle of the fifties and sixties which, for the first time, presented all the horror in lush, blood-red Technicolor. This screening will mark the first time it is being shown in an original dye-transfer Technicolor print in the New York area in over 30 years.
The Loew's Jersey opened its solid brass doors in 1929 as the "most lavish temple of entertainment in New Jersey." Once slated for demolition, it stands today as one of the finest surviving movie palaces in the Tri-State area. Currently undergoing restoration, the Loew's Jersey is strongly committed to the serious presentation of motion picture film, and is the only theatre in the Metropolitan Area presenting 35mm prints of classic films with carbon arc illumination.
The Loew's Jersey is located on Journal Square in Jersey City. We are directly across the street from the Path Transportation Center, and convenient bus and train service is available from mid-town Manhattan. The theatre is just minutes from the Holland/Lincoln Tunnels, George Washington Bridge and New Jersey Turnpike. Ample parking is available in the lot directly behind the theatre. For more information and detailed directions, please visit our website at Click Here or call 201-798-6055.
Don't miss this unique opportunity to experience classic films in the way they were meant to be seen - in the glory of 35mm on the big screen in a magnificent theatre. Bring your friends, bring your family and enjoy the "Movie Palace Experience" at the fabulous Loew's Jersey!
/Mitchell

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
There are some updates for this weekends Loew's Jersey Horror Spooktacular.
The print of KING KONG arrived yesterday, and it is absolutely stunning. Great quality and beautiful black and white printing. With the exception of occasional scratches, the deleted scenes are inserted flawlessly. I've never seen the film look this good!
Unfortunately, Warner Bros. advised us yesterday afternoon that the print of FRAIDY CAT will not be available. Apparently, someone at the studio has determined that this classic Tom and Jerry cartoon is not politically correct. In its place on Friday, we will screen Daffy Duck in THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY. My apologies for this last minute change.
Our usual level of showmanship will be somewhat compromised this weekend. The grand curtain in front of the screen has developed a problem on its track, and has begun to tear. In order to avoid further damage, we will not be able to utilize the curtain this weekend. It's very frustrating to not have it operational. Until we can raise the necessary funds to perform the repairs to the track, I'm sorry to say that the curtain will have to remain open.
Some true Friends of the Loew's have gone to bat in helping with material this weekend, and I'd like to thank them. Pete Apruzzese, Brian Bavosa, Bill Duelly, Mitchell Dvoskin and Ray Faiola have allowed us to display some unique, original memorabilia from their collections. Special thanks to Sabucat Productions and Jeff Joseph for loaning some rare 35mm trailers from their vast trailer archive. Thanks to all of you for your help!
Bob Furmanek
Director of Film Programming
Loew's Jersey Theatre
www.loewsjersey.org

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Anybody going to any of these shows? I'll be there with my collection of rare HORROR OF DRACULA memorabilia on display in the lobby at Friday and Saturday night's showings. Stop by and say hi...

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
KING KONG was probably the first or second movie I'd ever seen, way back in the '50s on New York's Channel 9, but I never saw it in a theater until tonight. The awesome power of this film, seen the way it was intended to be seen, was nothing less than overwhelming. Sitting in the front row made the impact even greater, and when that's the front row of the Loew's Jersey - man, that screen is TALL! The perfect place to show KING KONG.

Great lobby displays, Peter. Unfortunately I can't make it for HORROR OF DRACULA but at least I got to see the trailer. And those short subjects were a riot!

--Bill

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
To quote Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong), "Holy mackerel - what a show!"
I felt like I was a 10-year-old again seeing Kong last night. I've only seen it theatrically twice (in 1982 and in 1993, when I ran it), but this time was the best. Great movies really are a time machine.
I was wondering who was sitting down there, Bill! :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can't tell you how upset I am that I missed last nights show!!:angry:
Was it a good crowd Peter? And what's coming up next?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Too bad you didn't make it there, Tino. It was something to see. There were around 300 people for Kong on Friday. But last night's double-bill of FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLFMAN and HORROR OF DRACULA drew well over 400 people. FmtW was fun to see with a crowd - it's not a very good picture - as they were enjoying it for what it is. HORROR OF DRACULA, on the other hand, was incredible. The audience was giggling a bit - as they always do - until Lee shows up. Then when there's the big staking scene with Peter Cushing later on, dead silence through the end of the movie. It was great to see. Prints were wonderful - FmtW was virtually unused and with pretty good contrast (a hair dark for my taste, but still very nice on the screen). The HoD was unbelievable, though. An original 1958 dye-transfer print that was near-mint. Gorgeous color and very good sharpness. It's a cliche, but it was like seeing it for the first time. Let's put it this way, I've seen HoD a number of times in 35mm, but never like this. I have no desire to ever watch the (very good) DVD after this screening - there'd be no point!

Coming up on the weekend of November 22 & 23: Friday night - a double feature of the newly-restored Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes films (probably THE SCARLET CLAW and PEARL OF DEATH) in 35mm, Saturday - an afternoon matinee of Laurel & Hardy in BABES IN TOYLAND in 35mm, and Saturday night with Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis in Frank Tashlin's ARTISTS AND MODELS in 35mm IB Technicolor.

dave wright

Agent
Real Name
Dave Wright
seeing a film at the loews is always a great experience and the screening of king kong was no exception.the memoribilia in the lobby and the trailers were a great treat as well.looking forward to going back----dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks