What's new

Pre-Order Little Women/Marie Antoinette - Double Feature (Blu-ray) (1994/2006) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91eQdJSh--L._SY679_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Seems an odd pairing indeed, and curiously timed, as Little Women just received an MOD-Blu from Sony less than a year ago. Point?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just an epic fail.

Both films I have been dying for pressed NEW HD transfers for... I mean Little Women alone is worthy of a 4K UHD from Sony!

But wow.

Also shocked after all these years Little Women wasn’t even released by Twilight Time which seems like a perfect release for them. (Possibly they hate the film, or Sony said NO)

I love Marie Antoinette and saw it at the movies when it came out.

This release is just awful.

Would it be so hard to at least give each film a separate BD 50 Disc release?

This is Mill Creek after all these are gonna be roughly 10.00 purchase? Id gladly purchase each title separately with HD audio and and 50GB discs

I wouldn't be surprised if both or either film gets DVD quality DD audio only

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Just an aside here: but I wonder what happened to that Sony 4K poll we partook of a little over a month ago. Results?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, you all can bitch and moan about it, but I'm happy. The separate Sony MOD discs were too expensive and I'm happy to get a bargain double header from Mill Creek. As for the bit rate, the Sony discs were each single layer and this will be dual-layer (a layer for each film) so the quality should be equivalent. Yes, ideally each film should get its own dual-layered disc, but you take what you can get!

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Unless they botch the encode or remove things from the MOD discs, I'll happily buy a pressed dual layer for $10 instead of two $25/ea burned single layer discs. Overall I've had pretty good luck with my $5 Mill Creek discs -- not 100% great, but really very few truly throwaway discs

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
To each his own, but after buying Mill Creek’s abominable “Postcards From the Edge” which looked not much better than the DVD, I won’t take a chance on them again. A shame too, since I really wanted to buy The Shield series, but I heard they managed to screw that up as well.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Since Mill Creek is like Olive and others just put the files on the disc that are given to them and distribute them.
The fault when they exist is almost always with the originating company. As far as I'm aware, Sony made all teh choices about
what went onto the discs for THE SHIELD.

Mill Creek didn't edit the scene nor change the aspect ratio to the EU OAR instead of US OAR and I haven't heard anything about discs being bad other than possibly slightly lower bitrate than the spec people would like to see though trying to find a lot of issues with the bit rate/compression seems harder to note than actually quoting the numbers.

Unless Sony gives them worse transfers than already exist on the Choice Discs it seems unlikely it will look any worse than they do now..
Little Women is apparently excellent, Marie Ant apparently less so.

I guess wait for the reviews, but MC has had far more good outings than poor over the last couple years.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow, I went from excited about this to canceling my pre-order due to the 4K announcement of Little Women. At least Sony had the decency to announce the December 4K release BEFORE the Blu-ray came out! I'd still like to get Marie Antoinette in some HD format, so maybe I'll just wait until the next time iTunes has it on sale for $4.99.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Regarding two movies on a single disc and bit rates... I’ve been ripping my collection for a HTPC and I’ve been shocked at the file sizes for the movie itself for many discs. A lot of movies which have spectacular transfers and come on dual layered discs are only taking up 20gb or so of space (including just the movie and it’s primary audio track) with the rest going to alternate audio options and bonus features. In other words, two 2-hour features without bonus features or a dozen audio options doesn’t actually sound so bad for one disc, so long as they’re authored properly.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wow, I went from excited about this to canceling my pre-order due to the 4K announcement of Little Women. At least Sony had the decency to announce the December 4K release BEFORE the Blu-ray came out! I'd still like to get Marie Antoinette in some HD format, so maybe I'll just wait until the next time iTunes has it on sale for $4.99.

Ack! Guess we won't be getting any proper 4K disc release either...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks