What's new

Little House On the Prairie? (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
I own all 10 Little House On The Prairie box sets.
They have to be the most miserable quality in a non public domain release ever released!
Incredibly bad!

anyway, does anyone know if we'll ever get a high quality re-release of all 10 box sets?
Or, are we stuck forever with this junk!
Such a fantastic show deserves a much better treatment.

appalling.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that I didn't buy them then ... and I was hoping to buy the series but if they're suffering that bad in quality ... sheesh ...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The first two seasons don't even have the title sequences. You get it for one episode, but every other episode just starts.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I own all 10 sets, and I watch an episode each week. I don't see what's wrong with em. (They are certainly better than the stuff the networks try to pass off as "Entertainment" these days, and unlike the episodes they show on Cable, they do not have those annoying "Bugs, Banners and Pop-Ups, not to mention the "Breaks"!) :laugh:

Chas_Michael

Second Unit

how on earth did you come up with this???

umm, we're not talking about content quality. LH is one of the best things that was ever on TV for family quality viewing.
My gripe is PICTURE QUALITY of the DVD's they terrible sources used to master these.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
Not only is the picture quality bad, but most of the episodes are edited horribly. One episode is missing 8 minutes. Also, they left off the 3 hour Thanksgiving flashback episode completely. I don't think we'll see a re-release anytime soon since Lions Gate just took over distribution from Goldhill and released the same discs.

A proper release is definitly in order. Also, A&E needs to get out the last 2 seasons of Highway to Heaven.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If Universal has the negatives, forget it. Their in-house transfer costs are astronomical.

Don3996

Agent
Real Name
Don

Really?? I recently bought my wife the first few seasons and I hear this theme song playing so much I dont know where its coming from if its not from the opening title. Not a fan myself but she seemed pleased with the discs.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe they corrected it with later pressings. I know that they took heat for not having them at first and included the sequence for subsequent seasons. I'd be interested to know if they were added back later. It might be worth a rebuy.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, I bought seasons 1 and 2 together the first day they were released and was really dissappointed. ONE opening title sequence was used for each disc and it was the same sequence for all the discs on both seasons. This wouldn't really have mattered if all the Little House opening credits were generic, but they weren't! The guest stars listed on the final shot of the opening credits were different for each episode, so that most guest stars get no credits on these DVDs! In 'The Lord is my Shepherd' Patricia Neal and Ernest Borgnine are nowhere in the credits because the individualized episode credits were not reproduced. Also I noticed that nobody pointed out that seasons 1 and 2 (can't speak for the rest) were TIME-COMPRESSED, which is evident in the higher pitch of the soundtrack. Everybody sounds like they are on helium!

Helena

Agent
Real Name
Helen
I love this show and I purchased all the R1 seasons as they were released. While I agree it would have been much more preferrable to have the episodes uncut etc, I didn't find them as bad as some have described them. I found them all totally watchable and enjoyable. Didn't notice any problems with the sound speed and the quality of the picture transfers while not perfect was certainly acceptable. I have certainly seen worse (e.g. R4 S2 of 6M$M; some of the R1 Emergency! episodes).

I got the impression that these may have been the best transfers that they had access to, since effort was put in to include extras (e.g. interviews) and the art work was lovely and so on.

I am certainly glad I purchased them and find they are one tv-show that I enjoy re-watching again and again :) Just my 2 cents worth.

Helen

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I picked up seasons 1 and 2 at Target today. They are on sale this week for $17.99 each (reg. price 24.99). They have been repackaged in a slimmer Amray Case Packaging. I had read that the discs originally came in digipak-style Packaging. Bummed that there is no episode guide, so you don't know which episode is on which disc. But anyway, I was happy to pick this up for the price.

I originally wanted to get the complete series, but it is expensive and $200 is lot to spend at one time. Also, it takes me forever to watch a season's worth of episodes, so there is no hurry for me to have all 10 seasons at once.

I'm pretty sure the discs are the same as the previous sets because I watched the first disc, and the opening titles are only shown once at the beginning and not on the other episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks