What's new

Liton lvd-2001 questions before purchase (1 Viewer)

Tim Knapp

Agent
I'm considering buying a litom lvd-2001 to try out it's hdtv resolutions on my hdtv compatible mitsubish xd200 projector. I can connect to the projector via component inputs. Will the liton send the hdtv signal through it's component outputs?

Second question: I read that you have to have an HDMI interface to watch copy protected dvds? Are all/most the dvd movies i buy or rent copy protected? If so, where can i find the interface that i would need.

Thank you.

Tim

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
it will upconvert to 1080i-not true HD but a very fine picture nonetheless.There is a secret menu to disable copy protection-do a search and you should find the link.I don't know if its needed however-I have yet to play a disc it doesn't upconvert flawlessly,even without disabling macro

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
The LVD-2001 will upconvert even copy protected DVD's to 1080i over component (some or all don't even require disabling macrovision first). It does not have a DVI or HDMI connection at all. All other upconverting DVD players that I know of do have a DVI or HDMI connection, and will only upconvert over that connection. That is why the LVD-2001 was so popular.

Of course all of this is largely a moot point, as the LVD-2001 has been discontinued, and it's replacement does not upconvert at all. You might be able to find one for an exorbitant price somewhere, but you most certainly won't find it for the $150 it was selling for in it's prime.

As for your other questions, yes almost every DVD has macrovision copy protection. The only exceptions might be things like demo or calibration disks.
If your projector does not have a DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP connection built in, then you will likely never be able to use any of the other upconverting players that require such a connection. While in theory it is possible to build a box to convert DVI or HDMI to some other format, such as component or VGA, that would be illegal for HDCP encrypted signals thanks to the law known as DMCA.
Suffice it to say that if you're in that position you would need a new projector to get where you want to go.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You can take up the issue with congress, the MPAA, and the DVD forum (as they all are responsible for various parts) if this state of affairs is not to your liking. Oh, and things will only go downhill from here without some major event happening, so expect to have similar problems every technological generation.

-- Dave

Tim Knapp

Agent
Thanks for the replies. Discontinued uh. That sucks. Any other units that will convert to 1080i over component? Conflicting messages on the copy protection though. According to Doug he has had virtualy no problems regarding this copy protection.

Tim

Jay Blair

Second Unit
The Momitsu V880 will upscale to 720P or 1080i (and other custom resolutions) using DVI or component, is region and macrovision free. But this unit is not usually sold in the States. The player also goes for around $250.00 and is more problem prone than the LiteOn, but from what I've read it supposedly puts out a good picture.

www.hivizone.com in Hong Kong is a very reliable merchant and carries them and ships to the States. There are a few other places you might find them by doing a search here or at AVSforum.

The LiteOn is still available on eBay and you can probably also find one if you keep looking in the for sale section here or at other forums. But expect to pay $300 or so (and worth it IMHO).

Tim Knapp

Agent
One last question.

Do you guys think the liteon upscaling to 1080i will be able to out perform my projector's faroudja DCDi which is currently being fed by a standard dvd player? The line doubling is pritty impressive but not perfect. I own a mitubishi xd200 projector.I'm just trying to gauge whether buying the Liteon lvd 2001 might be a potential dead horse. Thanks again for the input.

Tim Knapp

Agent
Maybe this is n unanswerable question uh?-Since no one has this projector in hand and a liteon dvd player to compare. I though mayebe one of you more experienced folk might have an opinion on my final question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks