What's new

Liteon 5006 (1 Viewer)

Steven_MB

Agent
I have been searching for some time now for a DVD recorder that records audio discs also. This summer I found one by Liteon (LVW 5005) that met those specs, and it has now been replaced by the 5006. I notice that Radio Shack now sells the 5006 in the U.S. BUT - This DVD recorder came out in Europe first, and I have been watching a European board called Digital Spy where lots of problems such as jitter and color shifts are being reported. Since it such a neat machine on paper, I would like to hear about some US experience with it, to see if these glitches are early production problems only. So - does anyone have any experience with the Lite-on LVW 5006?

Thanks, Steve

Steven_MB

Agent
I finally broke down and bought a Liteon 5006. I spent $249.95 from Radio Shack - not a bad price considering no shipping and no 30 day hassle return.

Comments thusfar:

1 - Very good and easy to use user interface and remote.

2 - DVD+r's I made if finalized)play on several other old and cheap machines. DVD+ rw does not play on my old Sony player.

3 - Same with Cd-r's. It's great to be able to record music from my DirectTv receiver and play it in my car CD player!

4 - Quality in 2 hour and 3 hour modes looks ok. I need to test more rigoursly, now that the original infatuation is over.

Steve

Steven_MB

Agent
More Observations as of 3/5/05

With some more usage, I have some more observations:

- Prerecorded DVD's play well through the unit but,

- DVD recordings I make seem to have suffer from a low level of video gain or color level, somewhere in the recording process. The blacks tend to gray, the deep reds to orange-red, the deep blues to more baby blues. This is true in the 3 following input modes: composite, S video, S video + 2db gain.

I've checked all cables, replaced and bypassed some, but its the same.

The Liteon Co. Forum site seems to be gone. I've put in a question to another Liteon site, but no answer thusfar.

More info when I get more time.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks