What's new

List of 70mm Films on Blu-ray 1926-Present (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I will. Ironically a few years ago the AMPAS showed a restored 70mm version in their theater in LA. It was breathtaking!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
The Spanish Amazon site for this title lists Resen as the studio.

http://www.amazon.es/Hija-Ryan-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B00VMU9328/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1429804874&sr=1-5&keywords=Ryan

Resen are the merchants who have ported all sorts of transfers of varying quality onto BD-R before. My guess is they've simply used the already high quality DVD image and possibly digitally tinckered with it for a port to Blu. Otherwise I can't see them getting access to a restored master before other major distributors elsewhere - especially for a Warner holding! I'll happily eat my hat if I'm wrong as I'd love to see a restored version of Ryan's Daughter on Blu!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Resen is bad ( nowhere does it say Resen)...but this Blu..lists feelfilms.es

I will be prepared to be disappointed.....I won't find out until tomorrow night.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Ken Koc said:
Resen is bad ( nowhere does it say Resen)...but this Blu..lists feelfilms.es
Ken, I'm going by the matching covers - from the one you uploaded to the one in the Amazon Spain link here:

http://www.amazon.es/Hija-Ryan-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B00VMU9328/ref=sr_1_5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1429804874&sr=1-5&keywords=Ryan

The Amazon Spain site definitely lists the studio as Resen with a release date of April 14 2015.

I take no pleasure in playing party-pooper here, but I think it's another Resen 'release'!

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
The aspect ratio is stated as 2:40. not the Super- Panavision 70 ratio of 2:20. I am sure this is not a transfer from a large format source.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I didn't carefully review every post, but here are some potentially missed ones, although most are Super Technirama 70. Rather than limiting to either U.S. or English-language films, I included anything on my lists that were ever released in the U.S. Some of these were never shown in 70mm in the U.S. Use or not as you see fit.

1927 The American (Essay Corp.) 63mm Natural Vision (short)

1930 You're In the Army Now (Lorenzo delRiccio) 56mm 1.85:1 Paramount Magnafilm (short -shown only once)

1930 Niagara Falls (short). (Fox) 65mm Grandeur 2.13:1

1959 Sleeping Beauty (Super) Technirama 70 Disney/BV

1959 Solomon & Sheba (Super) Technirama 70 KingVidor/UA

1960 Spartacus (Super) Technirama 70 Universal

1961 The Trials of Oscar Wilde (Super) Technirama 70

1961 King of Kings (Super) Technirama 70 MGM

1961 El Cid (Super) Technirama 70 Samuel Bronston/Allied Artists

1962 55 Days at Peking (Super) Technirama 70 AA

1962 Music Man (Super) Technirama 70 WB

1962 Barabbas (Super) Technirama 70 Col

1963 Lafayette (Super) Technirama 70 Copernic-Cosmos/Maco

1964 The Long Ships (Super) Technirama 70 Col

1964 Zulu (Super) Technirama 70 Embassy

1964 Circus World (Super) Technirama 70 Bronston/Paramount

1964 Mediterranean Holiday (Super) Technirama 70 WR-Sterling

1966 Cinerama's Russian Adventure Super Panavision 70 United Roadshow Productions

1966 Is Paris Burning? 70mm Super Panavision (last reel Panavision 70). Par *some sources say this was completely a blowup

1967 Custer of the West (Super) Technirama 70 Cinema

1967 Playtime Jolly/Specta

1968 War & Peace 70mm Super Panavision Mosfilm/Water Reade/Satra/Continental

1968 Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 70mm Super Panavision UA

1968 Dr. Coppelius!! MCS Superpanorama 70

1976 Dersu Uzala Sovscope 70 Mosfilm

1977 Nights and Days (uncredited 65mm) Polski

When "Far and Away" was released, Variety had a special issue on 65mm origination. On their list, they included everything you have or I have above to that date, except for the following, which they probably didn't consider U.S. releases:

The Trials of Oscar Wilde

Holiday In Spain / Scent of Mystery

Mediterranean Holiday

Cinerama's Russian Adventure

Playtime

Dr. Coppelius!!

Dersu Uzala

Nights and Days

Symbiosis (I've never heard of this film before either)

RAH: On the Vista-Vision list, I think the film you wrote as "The Dangerous Hours" is actually "The Desperate Hours".

And unless my info is wrong (certainly possible), I think "One Eyed Jacks" was released on 3/30/61, not 1959.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Any additions are appreciated. An International 70mm thread should be started, though I'm not sure how many are available in region A. I know a lot of members have multi-region players so it may be appreciated. It may be a little more difficult to confirm details on those films and releases. I think of this thread as a good start. Maybe separate threads for other larger format films - (Super) Technirama, VistaVision etc - would be good; adding details to the already included info by others in this thread.

By the way, reading the technicalities and differences of these other processes - Technirama, CinemaScope, VistaVision... the stretching here, the squeezing there - can be an eye-crossing, glazing over experience. :P

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Cinerama's Russian Adventure was filmed in Soviet Kinopanorama 3-panel. It did play in 3-panel Cinerama at the Chicago McVickers theatre. All the other showings were in 70mm.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
WilliamMcK said:
OK... I was scared into cancelling... I can reorder once you guys report back! Thanks! :)
Biff, Ken has since posted an update on the Ryan's Daughter thread, and the waters seem safe. I'm going ahead to place my order - Resen or not. While I'm at it, I might as well order The Big Heat from Resen as well - DVDBeaver's comparison shows the transfer to be identical to Twilight Time's out-of-print Blu (knock-off or legit?)
Wow - I'm going to buy 2 Resen Blu's! Truly discaholic-worthy conduct!
Ken's update on Ryan's Daughter can be seen here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334062-what-about-a-blu-of-ryans-daughter/page-6#entry4235720

Edit: Ignore above. Definitive warning by RAH - "The Spanish release is a junk bootleg"
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/334062-what-about-a-blu-of-ryans-daughter/page-7#entry4235870

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Dr Griffin said:
I think of this thread as a good start...

By the way, reading the technicalities and differences of these other processes - Technirama, CinemaScope, VistaVision... the stretching here, the squeezing there - can be an eye-crossing, glazing over experience. :P

Selling yourself a little short there, Doc! This has been an excellent and thorough effort, and many thanks for the eye-crossing and glazing to bring it to us - much appreciated!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The Bible: In The Beginning

I wanted to put this in its thread, but there doesn't appear to be one. Also, there seems to have never been a review here of this Blu-ray. I watched this one again recently for the first time since 2011 (pre Lawrence of Arabia), and, dare I say it, there are some segments that look as good as LOA. Did I miss the review here on HTF? Am I out of my mind? Should I have my eyes checked? I remember thinking it looked good at the time, but Lawrence set the catalog title standard on BD since then, and I must have forgotten just how good a lot of this looks. There's not much here on HTF about the Blu-ray of this title, except for a few praises here and there that I could find. If I missed it, someone please give me a link. Otherwise, I'd like to hear some other opinions, and possible outrage for my statement if warranted.

Reactions: PMF

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The Blu-Ray is easily the best home video version of "The Bible...In The Beginning" I've owned (VHS, laserdisc, DVD), and the only one that compares favourably to my memory of seeing the film first-run in 1966. The visual quality does bear comparison to the nice restorations of other grand 60's productions, and the score sounds great. I've always enjoyed the episodic nature of this movie (it never gets too boring) and it certainly has star power.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Dr Griffin said:
The Bible: In The Beginning

I wanted to put this in its thread, but there doesn't appear to be one. Also, there seems to have never been a review here of this Blu-ray. I watched this one again recently for the first time since 2011 (pre Lawrence of Arabia), and, dare I say it, there are some segments that look as good as LOA. Did I miss the review here on HTF? Am I out of my mind? Should I have my eyes checked? I remember thinking it looked good at the time, but Lawrence set the catalog title standard on BD since then, and I must have forgotten just how good a lot of this looks. There's not much here on HTF about the Blu-ray of this title, except for a few praises here and there that I could find. If I missed it, someone please give me a link. Otherwise, I'd like to hear some other opinions, and possible outrage for my statement if warranted.

The Bible is a solid effort imo but a tad lacking in natural textures, something to the picture that makes it look like it may have been processed with the same software as other Fox titles by Illuminate but at lower settings. But these issues mainly pop up on larger screens and with very close seating distances so the majority of viewers will be very pleased.

It should go without saying that it beats all other home video version by a huge margin and it would be a complete disaster if it did not but David is probably right in pointing this out for users who might be on the fence about buying this. It is a really cheap and really good lookig disc so what is there not to like, a safe buy imo.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I've read that there was damage to the exposed film of the Garden of Eden sequence due to extreme heat in Africa, where they were filming. It's always been a murky, fuzzy-looking segment on video. I just get a feeling that Fox really made an effort to make this Blu-Ray as good as possible (unlike, say, "The Greatest Story Ever Told"), and I think fans of this movie and this genre will be pleased with it, as I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks