What's new

List of 70mm Films on Blu-ray 1926-Present (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Dr Griffin said:
A lot of them have been released on DVD, even Cheyenne Autumn, and other more popular titles such as West Side Story, but the main point is Blu-ray. The comment about no 70mm cinemas available was ported over from the Wiki list - I have no idea if it is true or what the circumstances were at the time, so it's a toss up to remove it or not. The Mackenna's Gold info I'll change. Also the info for The Great Meadow DVD would be appreciated; I couldn't find anything for a US DVD release.
WIKIPEDIA is a very flawed site. With tens of thousands of additions daily, there is no way in which such a massive amount of data can be verified. In the old days most studios owned and operated their own cinemas. MGM was no exception and if they did not have 70mm projectors in their cinemas, then they only released them in 35mm.This could also be another reason as to why RAINTREE COUNTY was never released in 70mm. Many of MGM's cinemas were not suitable for 70mm conversion. They owned many cinemas where I lived but none could be adapted for 70mm.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
cinerama10 said:
I do have a dvd of THE GREAT MEADOW. It was given to me by a friend in Australia who had a similar interest in 70mm films from the 1929/31 era.He originally got it from the USA - possibly from another collector.There are thousands of old films on video or film that people buy and convert to dvd.The USA publication CINEMA CLASSICS is a much favoured monthly magazine in which to find thousands of titles that are available on dvd .

What is the quality like? I know there are DVD-R's out there of things recorded off of television etc. I've seen some and they are severely lacking.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brenty said:
Hope you enjoyed it Josh; I think it's a cracking film and screen each version alternately, once every year or so!
Thanks! It just arrived, haven't had a chance to watch it yet. But I couldn't resist a little sneak peak, so I watched the first ten minutes of the 35mm version... even at 1.33:1, the scope of the setting in the opening scene, with all the wagons and extras, was amazing. And then I watched those same ten minutes of the 70mm version, and it was just astonishing. I'm looking forward to seeing the entire movie soon.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
You're in for a treat Josh! Personally I'd suggest watching the 35mm version first, waiting a week or so then watching the 70mm. It is, literally and figuratively, a different film. There's a pretty good breakdown of the differences here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Trail#The_two_versions

I don't consider the 35mm inferior in any way; just... different. Bear in mind that's how the overwhelming majority of moviegoers saw it at the time and I'm sure Raoul Walsh and his team put at least as much effort into it as they did the widescreen version.

Now, what I'd really like to see, is those four simultaneously-shot foreign language versions!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw the 35mm version of The Big Trail first (on film) during the Walsh retro at MoMA, and was frankly not too impressed. Later on MoMA showed the widescreen version and I was floored. Totally different experience, superior in every way!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It seems the reason for the release of 35mm prints of Raintree County had to do with a lack of 70mm projectors. From Widescreen Museum:

Panavision contracted with Mitchell Camera Corp. to build a 65mm camera. Metro dug several 70mm cameras out of storage, (they had been used on a few films in 1929-1930 in their Realife system.), and had Mitchell convert them for use with 65mm Eastmancolor negative. Ultra Panavision was ready for use before the studio was ready to begin filming Ben-Hur. In 1957 the new system was used to produce the studio's Raintree County . M-G-M distributed the film only in 35mm reduction prints, claiming that all available 70mm projectors were tied up showing Mike Todd's Around The World In 80 Days. Of course the projectors were tied up. After all, they were built for Todd-AO and only one film was running in that process so it's obvious that extra 70mm projectors didn't just appear out of thin air.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since it hasn't been mentioned, widescreenmuseum.com says that all the Fox Grandeur pictures save for Big Trail (preserved on an anamorphic 35mm reduction in the 60s) are lost in that format.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Ryan's Daughter!!!! I am very excited to have found my most wanted 70mm films on Blu Ray today in Madrid! It is region A-B C

Attachments

• IMG_6263.jpg
    IMG_6263.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6265.jpg
    IMG_6265.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Ken Koc said:
Ryan's Daughter!!!! I am very excited to have found my most wanted 70mm films on Blu Ray today in Madrid! It is region A-B C

Thanks! Added to the list.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This one looks legit.. I will watch it tomorrow night upon my return to New York. They did put it on in the store and it looked spectacular!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Allansfirebird said:
Is that a legit release of the film? I'd have thought we'd have heard about it long before now...

Can't find out much about it. It's only listed on Amazon Spain.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Interesting that I see no mention anywhere of MGM or Warner Brothers, who in theory would own the rights. Apparently the 5.1 version is in Spanish and the English track is 2.0. Last fall saw a 70mm print with Swedish subtitles, I'd have to wonder what the source element was for this... and why this would show up in Spain before anywhere else. Keep us posted on the quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks