What's new

List of 70mm Films on Blu-ray 1926-Present (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Dr Griffin said:
The Bible: In The Beginning

I wanted to put this in its thread, but there doesn't appear to be one. Also, there seems to have never been a review here of this Blu-ray. I watched this one again recently for the first time since 2011 (pre Lawrence of Arabia), and, dare I say it, there are some segments that look as good as LOA. Did I miss the review here on HTF? Am I out of my mind? Should I have my eyes checked? I remember thinking it looked good at the time, but Lawrence set the catalog title standard on BD since then, and I must have forgotten just how good a lot of this looks. There's not much here on HTF about the Blu-ray of this title, except for a few praises here and there that I could find. If I missed it, someone please give me a link. Otherwise, I'd like to hear some other opinions, and possible outrage for my statement if warranted.
I can't remember if this disc came out after I was named the designated Fox reviewer or before, but I can say that it has never been sent to me or it would have been reviewed. Fox has always been spotty with sending review materials. We can go for months on end and get everything, and then all of a sudden, they stop sending and refuse to honor any requests. (Notice there was no review from me on Birdman; repeated requests got us nothing.) So this may have been issued during one of their "down" periods.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I had heard about the damage to the early section of the film (I also read it was water damage), and I always thought the garden of Eden section had a dreamlike quality to it - it is not one of the better portions of the film I mentioned before. The image really crystallizes in the Noah sequences. There is some sharp detailed photography beginning with these segments. I've read of the Huston narration as sounding boxy, but I like the somewhat otherworldly effect.

Reactions: PMF

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I was reading some information about Dimension-150, the Todd-AO process that was designed to use a 150 degree lens, then in turn be projected using the D-150 projection process and systems. Apparently the screen had an arc of only 120 degrees and the projectors required the use of a special D-150 lens to minimize distortion. It seems that the 150 degree lens was problematic in filming a typical Hollywood movie, and the Dimension-150 150 degree lens was rarely used or even never used in any segments of the release prints, though a special printer lens was used for making prints. Less extreme angle lenses were mostly used during filming. This bugeye was apparently getting more of a picture than was practically usable. The two films made in the Dimension-150 process (projected in the D-150 systems in equipped theaters) were The Bible ...In the Beginning, and Patton, oddly both featuring George C. Scott. The theater installed D-150 systems continued to be used for other films, and could be used with masking for other aspect ratios.

d-150logo.gif

b70-640

patton.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
The Bible is on the 3 movie boxset I got for The Robe and The Greatest Story Ever Told. Never got round to seeing The Bible! Time to remedy that - especially as it's by one of my favourite directors, John Huston!

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have a page over at in70mm.com about Star Wars being shown in Dimension-150 at the Odeon Marble Arch in 1978
that lovely screen had a 17ft curvature.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I see they are screening Grand Prix in 70mm at the AOMPAS in June it must be the version with separate sound, its a pity its so far away.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
RolandL said:
I have the Blu-ray of The Bible and also have never seen it.

I wouldn't bother. Great director, worthy subject, stellar cast, and one of the most mind-numbingly boring films of all time.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Interesting quotes from Harvey Weinstein at Deadline Hollywood about Tarantino's Hateful Eight and the use of film:

At the top of the talk, Weinstein updated festival goers on Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming western The Hateful Eight. “Quentin is shooting in 70MM, and he’s making no compromises, so we’re not using snow blowers, we’re using snow. Anyone who doesn’t believe in climate control or climate change should be on our set. We’re right near Telluride where it snows incessantly and this year it hasn’t snowed.” Regarding why Tarantino continues to shoot on film in a digital age, Weinstein explained, “There’s a difference. We did The Master with Paul Thomas Anderson, and if you saw the 70MM presentation, then saw the digital or the 35MM, it’s real; it’s a different feeling. Digital is faster and cheaper, but it’s not film. (Christopher) Nolan and Quentin are at the vanguard of this.” Weinstein also mentioned how a handful of studios, along with Weinstein Co. are negotiating with Kodak, which unfortunately was rocked by the digital transistion, seeing its employee count shrivel from thousands to hundreds. “They’re gonna put film back,” said Weinstein. Like Babe Ruth to Yankee Stadium, Weinstein referred to Miramax and Weinstein Co. “as the houses that Quentin built. We had other great directors such as Anthony Minghella, but Quentin was the cornerstone.”

http://deadline.com/2015/04/harvey-weinstein-tribeca-film-festival-the-hateful-eight-sony-hack-1201412263/#

john a hunter

Screenwriter
DP 70 said:
I have a page over at in70mm.com about Star Wars being shown in Dimension-150 at the Odeon Marble Arch in 1978
The Egyptian in Hollywood also used D-150 when showing Empire strikes Back. I was lucky enough to see both presentations.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
I see they are screening Grand Prix in 70mm at the AOMPAS in June it must be the version with separate sound, its a pity its so far away.

Tempting to see this in a new print as the Blu-ray is good but not great.

I won't cross an ocean for it though ;)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
DP 70 said:
Whereabouts DP? Can't seem to find it despite searching their site.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Whereabouts DP? Can't seem to find it despite searching their site.
Hi John, if you just goggle Star Wars in D 150 it should come up thanks Derek.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Re: Patton

For anyone interested in the effect of the Dimension-150 18mm 150 degree lens in use, I found in reading an interview with Patton DP Fred J. Koenekamp, the scene in the chapel where Patton prays right before his apology to the troops. The lens was utilized in this scene to capture the breadth of the chapel ceiling and the fresco.

Reactions: PMF

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
Re: Hateful Eight. It's odd Tarantino is using a process almost no theater can present correctly. I don't want to see a narrow ribbon across an Imax screen.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Dr Griffin said:
Re: Patton

For anyone interested in the effect of the Dimension-150 18mm 150 degree lens in use, I found in reading an interview with Patton DP Fred J. Koenekamp, the scene in the chapel where Patton prays right before his apology to the troops. The lens was utilized in this scene to capture the breadth of the chapel ceiling and the fresco.
There are a fair number of 150 degree shots in Patton-few in Bible.

Interestingly, Richard Zanuck said that Patton was one of the best photographed films he had seen.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
So far, 10 friends have watched the Spanish'bootleg" Blu of Ryan's Daughter and have enjoyed it and were impressed by the quality. They consider themselves lucky as they also feel WB will never release a proper Blu of Ryan's Daughter. I already have requests and the next time in Spain. I need to buy 15 copies. Too bad WB does not want to release it.

2nd best may be the best.....the it looks like the 1st best will never be released. Sad

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Ken Koc said:
So far, 10 friends have watched the Spanish'bootleg" Blu of Ryan's Daughter and have enjoyed it and were impressed by the quality. They consider themselves lucky as they also feel WB will never release a proper Blu of Ryan's Daughter. I already have requests and the next time in Spain. I need to buy 15 copies. Too bad WB does not want to release it.

2nd best may be the best.....the it looks like the 1st best will never be released. Sad
Add to that list--LOCAL HERO---GOODBYE MR CHIPS---PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---THE GOODBYE GIRL.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
nara said:
I wouldn't bother. Great director, worthy subject, stellar cast, and one of the most mind-numbingly boring films of all time.
I totally agree with you.It was showing in 70mm at the cinema where I worked and I had to suffer seeing it every day. It was originally to have covered the entire bible but they only filmed part of it - hence the title being changed to 'in the beginning'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks