What's new

List of 70mm Films on Blu-ray 1926-Present (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
cinemiracle said:
I totally agree with you.It was showing in 70mm at the cinema where I worked and I had to suffer seeing it every day. It was originally to have covered the entire bible but they only filmed part of it - hence the title being changed to 'in the beginning'.
Very uneven but there are few sequences in the first part such as Noah which I find enjoyable.

However for the title of the most mind ( and bum) numbingly boring films ever made, it is difficult to go past Greatest Story Ever Told.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
john a hunter said:
Very uneven but there are few sequences in the first part such as Noah which I find enjoyable.

However for the title of the most mind ( and bum) numbingly boring films ever made, it is difficult to go past Greatest Story Ever Told.

It's as solemn and as long as a Catholic funeral.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Added details about The Great Meadow (1931). Apparently never publicly screened in 70mm.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Dr Griffin said:
Interesting details about The Bat Whispers (1930) Milestone Press Kit:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/7896/files/BatWhispersPK.pdf?1009

Great info there, thanks!

While it's cool to see a movie from 1930 in widescreen, IMO the 35mm version of this is the better of the two by quite a distance. The performances and the compositions within the frame are far better handled. I don't think they knew what to do with all that space in the early days!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Added a new title to the list: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. To be released in December 2016 from Lucasfilm and Disney. Not related to the episodic Star Wars series, though featuring the character Han Solo, I believe. Some scenes filmed with Ultra Panavision lenses in 70mm.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
As with a lot of action/sci-fi films, some scenes are utilizing 65mm film in some form. I've added Batman v Superman (2016) to the list for its use of Panavision Super 70 and Imax film along with digital.
Also added Sunset Song a UK/Luxembourg English language film with use of 65mm lenses and Kodak 65mm negative in D-Cinema.

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I think the reference to 65 refers to the size of the chip used and is to suggest a higher resolution than usual.
Does The Revenant count? That was primarily shot with the Arri Alexa 65.
Purely digital technology but I would like to hear from someone with more info than yours truly.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Coming in December. Some scenes filmed in 65mm.

I heard they were using the Ultra Panavision lenses that Tarantino used on Hateful Eight, but that they were being used on a digital camera and not a film one. That would be so cool if I misread that and it turned out that they actually did shoot it on film!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I can't find any information that The Revenant used a 65mm negative, sounds like it was purely digital.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I heard they were using the Ultra Panavision lenses that Tarantino used on Hateful Eight, but that they were being used on a digital camera and not a film one. That would be so cool if I misread that and it turned out that they actually did shoot it on film!

I think that was referring to being released on 70mm film. There was use of 65mm negative in some filmed scenes.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
It's getting sketchy with these pictures using digital and film. Some will mainly use Codex/Arriraw for example, but also have some scenes using 65mm film. When I started the list, some wanted to add the large format 35mm titles (VistaVision, Super Technirama etc.), but I kept it to 65mm negative, so I add those titles that have used it in the production.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The Arriflex Alexa 65 is a digital cinema camera with an imaging chip which is the same size as a 65mm 5-perforation film frame (actually a bit bigger). The Revenant was not shot on film.
Yeah the film sensor is 2.20:1 at 6k resolution and the lens it uses is a proper 65mm lens. It is a legitimate 65mm camera, just doesn't use film.

So the question is is 70mm defined entirely by whether or not its shot on celuloid. With the 765, that no longer seems to be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks