What's new

Press Release Lionsgate Press Release: Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Best Buy Exclusive Steelbook (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think Hamilton was fine in what was not a terribly exciting film, which I blame the script and direction for. I think the big problem with Dark Fate was that, from Cameron’s point of view as the guy signing off on the story idea, it was all fresh, new and bold, but from the audience perspective, was a rehash of elements from all of the post-Cameron films jumbled up into a new film that felt mostly “been there, done that.”

There's also the awkward friction between what the director wanted to do with the movie (likely something more irreverent or kookily inventive like Deadpool) and what Cameron would actually let him do.

'Dark Fate' director Tim Miller notes he is unlikely to work with James Cameron again

Real Name
Joe Birrittella
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
From visionary director James Cameron and iconic action star Arnold Schwarzenegger comes the 30th anniversary release of TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY. Stunningly restored for modern viewers by Cameron himself, T2 arrives November 23rd7 on 4K Ultra HD™ Steelbook from Lionsgate, exclusively at Best Buy. It has been 10 years since the events of Terminator. Sarah Connor’s ordeal is only just beginning as she struggles to protect her son, John — the future leader of the human resistance against the machines — from a new Terminator, sent back in time to eliminate him while he’s still a child. Sarah and John don’t have to face this terrifying threat alone, however. The human resistance has managed to send them an ally, a warrior from the future ordered to protect John Connor at any cost. The battle for tomorrow has begun. Featuring all new artwork from artist Orlando Arocena and Tracie Ching, T2 will be available on 4K Ultra HD™ Steelbook at Best Buy for the suggested retail price of $27.99.

BLU-RAY™ / DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES
  • *NEW* 55 minute T2 documentary featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Cameron, Edward Furlong, and more.
  • 2 Deleted Scenes with Audio Commentary
  • 2 Feature Commentaries
  • “The Making of T2” 30-Minute Featurette
  • View 3 Different Versions of the Film
  • Trailers

CAST
Arnold Schwarzenegger The Terminator franchise, Total Recall, The Expendables franchise
Linda Hamilton Dante’s Peak, The Terminator, TV’s “Beauty and the Beast”
Edward Furlong American History X, Detroit Rock City, Pecker
Robert Patrick TV’s “Scorpion”, Walk the Line, TV’s “The X-Files”

PROGRAM INFORMATION
Year of Production:
Title Copyright: Terminator 2: Judgment Day ™ & © 1991 STUDIOCANAL. All Rights Reserved. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2019 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terminator 2 ® is a registered trademark of STUDIOCANAL. Lionsgate,
Rating: R for strong sci-fi action and violence, and for language
Type: Catalog Re-Release
Genre: Action / Sci Fi
Closed-Captioning: N/A
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French, and German subtitles
Feature Run Time: 137 minutes
4K Format: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 16x9 (2.40:1) Presentation
4K Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, French 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™, German 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™

Let's stop with an umpteenth re-Release from the same source already. Giving out crumbs like this will only hurt Blu-Ray's longevity.

No One Is Demanding Another T2.
WE ARE, HOWEVER, HAVE BEEN SCREAMING FOR AN ABYSS BLU-RAY FOR YEARS.

If they care not for what fans really want, what makes one think they care about us?

A Steel Book? A new interview with the aging actors? Big deal, bcuz that's where your money is really going.

And No Extended Edition?? (is that on here?)
Case Closed!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Let's stop with an umpteenth re-Release from the same source already. Giving out crumbs like this will only hurt Blu-Ray's longevity.

No One Is Demanding Another T2.
WE ARE, HOWEVER, HAVE BEEN SCREAMING FOR AN ABYSS BLU-RAY FOR YEARS.

If they care not for what fans really want, what makes one think they care about us?

A Steel Book? A new interview with the aging actors? Big deal, bcuz that's where your money is really going.

And No Extended Edition?? (is that on here?)
Case Closed!
The UHD disc has only the theatrical version. The extended version is on the BluRay, but the extra scenes look appalling- a pink tint on them. I don’t get why these scenes look so bad in comparison to the older BluRays.

You’re right about things being released several times, and other things not being released at all, and The Abyss is a great
mention.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I love Terminator 2 and I can watch it over and over again but I honestly not sure this latest release is even necessary since it is the same grain scrubbed release from the previous 4K release. Again yes I love T2 and it is the 35th anniversary of the film but how many people are going to buy it just for the tin? How many people do not own this film on disc or digitally at this point? I would have been all for a new 4K release with the grain intact that was a better representation of what the movie should have looked like. I may have gone out and purchased this movie yet again especially to replace the previous 4K release. And at this point IMHO it is more important to get a new restored 4K release of The Abyss! But since T2 is basically the same release as before only just in a tin, I say no sale!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This isn’t a release targeted at people who already own the 4K disc. This is a repackaging to get a fresh SKU to get it back on shelves to get a few more sales from people who don’t yet have it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
This isn’t a release targeted at people who already own the 4K disc. This is a repackaging to get a fresh SKU to get it back on shelves to get a few more sales from people who don’t yet have it.

I didn't buy the previous release on 4K... and won't again this time if it's the same heavily DNR-ed mess.

_Man_

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
To be fair, it doesn't look any worse than the original Star Wars movies on 4K, and those received mostly positive reviews.

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I think the best thing that can happen here is that this sells really well and perhaps this will justify a new 4k release in the future that represents the original look of the film.

T2 has a big following so it's a possibility especially when you see some of the 4k releases getting put out that seem to be headscratchers.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If they release T2 again but with the transfer that more faithfully reproduces the film with no heavy DNR I will buy it again to replace the 4K Blu-ray with DNR! Will wait and see what happens but since I also own the previous Blu-ray release and the 4K DNR mess I am set and will not repurchase till there is a better transfer without the DNR.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think the best thing that can happen here is that this sells really well and perhaps this will justify a new 4k release in the future that represents the original look of the film.

Not sure why Lionsgate would interpret strong sales for this old transfer to mean they should do a different transfer.

Good sales = they figure fans are fine with the current version.

In any case, I doubt this one will sell all that many copies - assuming it is the same transfer.

Most who already own the old 4K won't buy it. I can't imagine it'll move many units...

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
Not sure why Lionsgate would interpret strong sales for this old transfer to mean they should do a different transfer.

Good sales = they figure fans are fine with the current version.

In any case, I doubt this one will sell all that many copies - assuming it is the same transfer.

Most who already own the old 4K won't buy it. I can't imagine it'll move many units...

Because a lot of people would probably purchase a remastered version in 4k.

All the labels are doing it.

We already have two 4k UHD versions of Halloween. There will be more to follow of other movies.

It might not be Lionsgate that will do it but some label would take a shot.

I think you will be surprised how many units this could sell.

Steel-books are hot right now and many will purchase the movie just for that.

I don't think Lionsgate are stupid. They will make money on this.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Because a lot of people would probably purchase a remastered version in 4k.

All the labels are doing it.

We already have two 4k UHD versions of Halloween. There will be more to follow of other movies.

It might not be Lionsgate that will do it but some label would take a shot.

I think you will be surprised how many units this could sell.

Steel-books are hot right now and many will purchase the movie just for that.

I don't think Lionsgate are stupid. They will make money on this.

I agree that people would buy a remastered 4K.

I don't agree that Lionsgate will see good sales for the old transfer as an indicator that they will make big $$$ off a new transfer.

They'll say "people are giving us $$$ for a product we've already sold to them" - why would that motivate them to spend money on a new transfer?

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I agree that people would buy a remastered 4K.

I don't agree that Lionsgate will see good sales for the old transfer as an indicator that they will make big $$$ off a new transfer.

They'll say "people are giving us $$$ for a product we've already sold to them" - why would that motivate them to spend money on a new transfer?

Maybe not Lionsgate but I think some label would recognise that T2 has a big following and would be willing to take the risk of creating a new transfer with expectations of very good sales.

I'm thinking 4k remastered in a steelbook case with a poster and booklet etc.

Ultimate edition kind of thing.

However, I am aware it would depend on the licensing costs etc. The margins may be tight.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m sorry but that doesn’t really make sense. Studio Canal and Lionsgate are the rights holders, not licensees. The current master was created under the supervision of and approved by the filmmaker.

This is simply a case where the filmmaker’s preferences are different than that of a small portion of the audience, but that’s not cause to redo the work. The film looks and sounds as the people in charge of it want it to look and sound.

Why would they redo a product that came out as they intended it to?

Carl David

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Carl
I’m sorry but that doesn’t really make sense. Studio Canal and Lionsgate are the rights holders, not licensees. The current master was created under the supervision of and approved by the filmmaker.

This is simply a case where the filmmaker’s preferences are different than that of a small portion of the audience, but that’s not cause to redo the work. The film looks and sounds as the people in charge of it want it to look and sound.

I was thinking in relation to other labels "licensing" the rights to release the movie in 4k from the holders which in this case as you point out are Studio Canal and Lionsgate.

I have not seen nor do I have the Blu Ray or 4k version of T2 where the movie has been released with the approval of James Cameron.

However, going by reviews of the people that have watched these versions they somewhat are different to how the movie was originally shot and subsequently shown in cinemas. Comments such as the removal of film grain etc.

Some people and me included like to view a movie as it was originally produced with the technology available at that time and not manipulated to the director's or cinematographer's whims many years after which seems to be the case with previous T2 releases.

I believe they would be willing to redo the product because there are many people who would purchase the movie as it was originally shot and not tinkered with as many people have talked about.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

To be clear, Studio Canal owns the movie. Lionsgate is just the licensee distributor for Studio Canal product in the U.S.

There is precedent for this. William Friedkin tinted The French Connection purple. In the "Restoration" featurette on the original Blu-ray, you can see him watching the tinted version of the movie and raving about how wonderful it looks, how it was exactly what he wanted and the movie could not possibly look better. He was very excited to do the same to all of his films, including The Exorcist. The reaction to this was so negative that Fox eventually reissued the movie with a new, non-tinted transfer supervised by the cinematographer. Warner Bros. also insisted that the DP (same guy) oversee The Exorcist, which came out with sensible colors, not the "pastel" nonsense Friedkin wanted.

Along similar lines, cinematographer Vittorio Storaro had the DVD master for Apocalypse Now cropped to 2.0:1 to conform to his kooky "Univisium" theory. The later Blu-ray and 4K editions disregarded his instructions and restored the movie's 2.35:1 OAR.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
There is precedent for this. William Friedkin tinted The French Connection purple. In the "Restoration" featurette on the original Blu-ray, you can see him watching the tinted version of the movie and raving about how wonderful it looks, how it was exactly what he wanted and the movie could not possibly look better. He was very excited to do the same to all of his films, including The Exorcist. The reaction to this was so negative that Fox eventually reissued the movie with a new, non-tinted transfer supervised by the cinematographer. Warner Bros. also insisted that the DP (same guy) oversee The Exorcist, which came out with sensible colors, not the "pastel" nonsense Friedkin wanted.

Along similar lines, cinematographer Vittorio Storaro had the DVD master for Apocalypse Now cropped to 2.0:1 to conform to his kooky "Univisium" theory. The later Blu-ray and 4K editions disregarded his instructions and restored the movie's 2.35:1 OAR.

Unfortunately, unlike those cases, Cameron has much much more (very likely more than enough) weight (for the foreseeable future, especially of physical media) to prevent that from happening against his desires...

Heck, we even get fairly extensive humor about how much control he holds in a TV series like Future Man... :P

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks