What's new

LINN \ NAD problems-what should I upgrade next? (1 Viewer)

I had an old stereo system which consisted of:

NAD 302 integrated amplifier
NAD 502 CD-player
NAD 402 tuner
Linn Index speakers
Linn k-20 speaker cables
Sony DVD player

Few weeks ago I started upgrading my old system for HT. After some research I got the following:

Linn Trikan center speaker
Linn Unik surround speakers
Linn Afekt subwoofer
NAD T753 a/v receiver
Monster interconnect cables
(I will be using the old Linn Index in the front)

I am getting a new NAD T753 from my dealer, since the first one had the hiss problem. I hope the new one will be OK.
The sound from my old NAD 302 had better low freq response to the front speakers. The NAD T753 receiver doesn't come even close. Of course the sub can compensated for that, but I have the feeling that I am not getting the sound that I expected from the front speakers (I cannot really compare the rest of the speakers, since I never had HT setup before). I played with the crossover settings, I also removed the sub completely but the front speakers still did not performed as well as on the NAD 302. Is this normal? I would expect the same sound quality (for 2 channel music) from the T753, considering the fact that the 302 is 10 years old and it was not a top of the line model. Maybe this is just a fact and I have to live with it.
Do you see something wrong with my choices (well I guess now it is too late since I made the purchase already)? What do you think is my weak point / or what should I upgrade next?
Your opinion will be very helpful.
Thanks!

MikeVM

Grip
Check to make sure your front speakers are set to "large" otherwise they'll be crossed over at 80 Hz or whatever you have your sub crossover set to.

I have the 753's predecessor, the 752, and have absolutely no problems with low frequency response.

-Mike

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Are you comparing the sound of both NAD's powering the Linn speakers. Or is it the NAD 302 with old speakers and T753 with new ones?

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would not use the Monster interconnects with gear like that, for one thing....none of the ICs they make are that great. That is not where your problem lies though.

Are you comparing the setups with the same player hooked up with the same cables? Do you have all DSPs turned off and have you calibrated the speaker levels with the 753?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Yeah just to clarify, you have used the old NAD with the new Linn speakers, and the sound was improved over using the new NAD?

Two things that I think you may be encountering.
With today's economy, a lot of things over the years may have new and improved technology in them, but the build quality suffers as they try to reach certain price points. It is no big secret that many mass market products from many moons ago are built like tanks compared to today's mass market goods. One area that they often over built in was the power supply, so it could be that the power supply of the old integrated may be larger than your new reciever's.
Again with your old NAD integrated in addition to it maybe having a larger power supply ot begin with it definately asked said power supply to do less. You had a separate tuner in your old setup. The integrated's power supply only had to deal with preamp and amp duties. The receiver has to deal with those two, plus tuner, plus processing, plus crossover, plus etc. All of those things eat up the available power that the receiver can provide to the preamp and amp areas.

These things could very well be the reason why you are lacking in bass with the new reciever. This is why you see a lot of foks on this site who have added external amps via their receiver's preouts, in order to free up some of the demands on the receiver's power supply. Most of these same people also report back that increased bass is one of the first things they notice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks