What's new

Linksys Wireless...so far so good (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I had the thing up and running in under 20 minutes, and that includes the WAP+cable router, the wireless PCCard on a laptop and 2 deskstops with wired NIC cards.

Thing is...now I think I need one with a print server. Can you guys recommend one...or do I just return this thing and get one with a print server?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Just use one of your PCs as a print server, the one the printer is hooked up to now. Just enable printer sharing for the printer.

KJP

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
my university has a wireless network covering the entire campus (its not that big...) and its great to be able to go anywhere, including outside and surf the internet...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Getting a standalone print server is expensive, they're about $200 each. So unless you want to have one PC as a the print server (won't work for me, as I don't have any desktop PCs at home), your best best is to return the Linksys and get a SMC Barricade router. My mother in law just got one at my recommendation, and she setup the whole thing in an afternoon. It's got three built in 10/100 ethernet ports, the 802.11b wireless and a parallel port based print server. Works great for her. I've got a HP LaserJet that has a JetDirect card built into and and support LPR based printing. But thats overkill for most people.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Eric,
If you are looking for an inexpensive print server solution check out this link: Hawking print server
We use about 25 of these where I work. They work flawlessly, have a 2 year warranty and can be found for about $70 online. It takes less than 10 minutes to set one of these up. Let me know if you have any questions about them.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Wireless is a great technology but also a technology that

scares the hell out of me for home use.

You know how easy it is to tap into wireless phone conversations?

From what I have read it's just as easy to get into wireless

Networks.

That bothers me..

Of course I guess it all boils down to this, If they want

in bad enough. They are going to get in reguardless of what

you are running!

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Brett,

I wouldn't be afraid of wireless. I use it at home, and am perfectly happy with it. I'll bet $20 that your current modem or ethernet connection is just as easy to get data off of using a packet sniffer. Do you use Kerberos, SSL, or any other encryption techniques on your current connections? Most people don't.

At home, I use wireless without WAP (the wireless encryption) because all of the services that I connect to use some sort of encryption (the ones that I want encrypted anyway). I do use MAC address lists to prevent other people from using my wireless network, and that has worked out well (although that can be foiled too; I monitor usage to make sure it looks correct).

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
The PC as a print server (in case Eric doesn't know this) will only work if the PC with the printer on it is turned on. This will work by going into network neighborhood properties, and selecting file and print sharing. You can share drives like this too, but they have to be told to do so.. by right clicking on the driver letter that you want to share in explorer, go to sharing, and then assign a password... you will see a hand under the drive letter in explorer if it is shared. Don't do this without password protection guys.. If you have any trouble with this, you can try adding the netbeui protocol.

Secondly, if your router acts as a firewall, than you should be ok, using wireless inside your LAN. If not, you may want to find a software of hardware firewall application. This is a wise decision regarless of internet connection type. My .02

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Well the reason I got this router thing is to avoid having one PC always on. I would be doing that if I would have one as a print server. I'd like to have the luxury of popping on a laptop, hitting the print button and the printer (which would be always on connected to the router) would just zip away.

I've been "researching" on other wireless, cable routers with print servers.....not one has a USB connection...all have parallel. DUH! That would again be added cost for a parallel to USB thingy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks