Need advice before plunge to X Box Live

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Michael Ballack, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

I'm very close to taking the plunge into a bigger universe by purchasing X Box Live. The hard part for me is the connection. I've done my research and have decided on the linksys BEFW11S4 Router along with the Linksys WET11 Bridge. A wired network is out of the question for my situation(1. No dad to set it up 2. I'm clueless myself to get wires through walls 3. Don't have enough money to hire someone) so I needed to choose a wireless solution. I'm a little concered though. I've heard there can be problems with speed and such. The good news is the rooms aren't to far away from each other.
    Here's my questions: Are the components I choose fine with the X Box Live or am I wasting my money? Does anyone else have the setup I'm about to purchase? Any other adivce for me? Once I do get setup on X Box Live, how do I get one of those nifty tags or logos that I see so many of you have and can you host the tag for me? Any and all adivce for a newbie Live member will be greatfully appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I'm using exactly those components with XBL. My connection with that isn't the fastest - on RtCW some games reject me saying I'm too slow, sometimes games start lagging when I join and so the host kicks me off, and I can't host games with too many players with the larger maps. However, I know that people with wired setups have also experienced these problems, so I don't know how much of it is caused by the wireless connection. For the most part, I can always find several games on any given night that run perfectly smoothly.

Read up a little on wireless security - change the default SSID, disable SSID broadcast, enable WEP (if these terms are Greek to you, some quick searches on Google should get you all the info you need). Straight out of the box, your gear will come configured with a security level where anyone walking by your apartment will be able to use your wireless network (and maybe even access your computer). A few simple steps will make things secure enough so that only a determined hacker will be able to get past (and there's really not much you can do against those unless you're a serious computer enthusiast yourself).

Have fun [​IMG]

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

6. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

7. Michael Ballack

I went to a bunch of websites and tested by modem speed out and it's somewhere between 1.5 and 3 mbs per second, so in conclusion should I just go with the B adapters and routers?

8. Michael Ballack

9. Michael Ballack

I'm right at 145 so I guess I can't host. That's alright though, isn't it? Not all people on X Box Live host games right? I can still play people head to head I assume.

10. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Correct, you can still play head to head. You can even host on sports games as the 1 on 1 matchups do not use up that much bandwith.

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

12. Doug H

Doug H Agent

Michael, the differences in the version 1 & 2 kits is 1 has demos of Whacked & MotoGP, 2 has demos of MotoGP & Mechassualt, and the full version of Tetris Worlds Online. Don't forget to join the HTF Gamertag list when you get all setup (see link in my sig).

13. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Have you looked at this ?

I have the BEFW11S4 router in my home, and it works great. I primarily bought it so I could use my laptop without wires.

However, I also wanted to get my XBox online (which I haven't gotten around to doing yet... maybe this Christmas.)

I *had* planned to get the WET11 bridge, but the cost had been holding me back. (Dunno how pricing is in Chicago, but the WET11 would have cost me more than the router AND the card for my laptop.)

Check out the new WGA11b. I think it might be a better option than the bridge for dedicated home gaming. [​IMG]

Have fun!

14. Michael Ballack

Thanks guys for all your help. I finally ordered the BEFW11S4 Router along with the WET11 from amazon.com with free shipping. It was alot cheaper than my local best buy as well. Hopefully I'll catch up with you guys real soon on live. I'm looking forward to it.

15. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Guess you didn't see my message about the Wireless Game Adapter unit. [​IMG] The WGA11B would have saved you ten bucks or so, from what I'm seeing at Amazon. But I'm sure that you'll be happy with the WET11! Enjoy! [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll see ya online this winter! [​IMG]

16. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Moving to Hardware.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Since the discussion is about networking hardware rather than software?

18. david kennedy

david kennedy Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering is there away to hook up a wireless connection for my xbox to my wired router.The reason i sak is because i would like to play my xbox on my 61 inch widescreen wich is in another room from my pc. Will i just need to get a long cable or is there something else i can do. Any help would be apreciated.

19. Michael Ballack

I just wanted to give you guys an update who've been keeping track of my progress. Today I received the router and adapter and set it up flawlessly. It's working like a charm. So far I got to play MechAssault with a lot of immature 12 years olds i.e. saying things like bitch and stuff. It's so fun!!!! I plan to get ESPN Basketball and Football as soon as I can get the needed dough. If anyone wants to put me on your friend list my gametags is Iwgmr.

P.S. I can't wait to us KOTR owners get some downloaded content for KOTR.

20. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

David, unless I'm mistaken, you'll need a long cable. You might want to look into a wireless router. The BEFW11S4 that Michael just picked up will do nicely, and will probably easily replace your current wired router. (The BEFW11S4 has a built-in four-point switch.)

Just swap 'em out, and then get either the WGA11b or the WET11, and off you go. [​IMG]