What's new

Link window won't open (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
When I click on a link the window pops up but the page does not load and no url is in the address bar. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm at the point that whenever weird stuff like that happens, I scan with Ad-Aware and Spybot first, then Norton, then dig farther if that doesn't work...I'd suggest you do the same if you haven't done so already.

Good luck!
Alfer

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I've scanned with Spybot and done a virus scan, defragged and scandisked with no results. I've tried the various repair and diagnostic tools that came with windows 98. I also tried my recovery disc and got an error message saying that something is wrong with the disc or my disc drive even though the drive works with other discs and the recovery disc is like new. The only way I can go to a link is to right click, go to properties, copy the url and paste it in the address bar which is maddeningly slow!

Tony Loewen

Stunt Coordinator
Ijust fixed this same problem about a week ago, it had been going on for about 6 months or so. I had to re-install IE6. I'm pretty sure I followed one of the links on that expert-exchange site Alf is pointing you to, there was some "fix IE6" utility program that set the ie6 installed value in the registry from 1 to 0, then I installed IE6 off of the microsoft updates website. problem solved

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I tried Tony's solution but I still have the problem. And the experts-exchange.com charges $9.95 a month so I'll use that as a last resort. My computer is an HP so I contacted them and was shocked to find out that tech help will cost $40 because my computer is out of warranty! The Indian gentleman I talked to was so polite I couldn't scream at him so I just said "no thank you" and hung up. I found some good info at http://support.microsoft.com/default...1679#appliesto and the end result seems to point to reinstalling IE but my recovery disc still doesn't work.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Say what? You don't have to pay anything to read all of the posts that show the answers to your question...just scroll down the page and there are a bunch of helpful answers and links to answers that should help. NO money involved.

Alf

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Doh! I stopped scrolling down when I saw the banner "SIGN UP NOW TO SEE THIS SOLUTION". I assumed that meant that you HAD to sign up to see the solutions. My OS is Windows 98 if that helps. I've tried most of the solutions except for changing my browser to Opera; I would rather fix my browser. One problem I did see was this:

"To work around this behavior, you must add a registry value. Add a DWORD registry value named MBCSServername with a data value of 0 to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWind owsCurrentVersionInternet Settings"

I opened my registry and followed the above path but when I got to Microsoft the was no Windows folder, just Internet Explorer, Office, and SystemCertificates.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I fixed it! Went to IE on Add/Remove Programs and selected the "go to previous installation" and now it is OK. Thanks to all who helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks