What's new

lines in tv and hum in speakers (1 Viewer)

Gary G

Auditioning
hello...i just installed new track lighting in the tv room with a dimmer switch, now we are seeing lines slowly going up on the tv and a light hum in the rear surround speakers, the other tvs in the house are also getting the lines, if i turn off the dimmer switch the lines and hum go away...i checked and triple checked the wiring hookup, even pulled new romex through the walls to the dimmer and lights..still having the same trouble...anyone have this problem before?, and how did you fix it...thanks in advance..wife is getting tires of watching lines, lol

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You fix it by having the TV and stereo connected to a different circuit than the lighting.
Well, I doubt all the TVs in the house are on the same circuit as the light dimmer.

Obviously, Gary, you will need to replace that dimmer. I suggest posting a question on our HT Construction and Interiors Forum and see if someone can recommend a dimmer that isn’t prone to causing interference.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Gary G

Auditioning
the wall plug for the equipment is on a differant breaker than the lights

Thanks

EricWT

Grip
Is it possible that this is a problem related to the dimmer being on the same "phase" in the breaker box as the circuits for the TVs in the house?

I have read on this forum that you should not have dimmer circuits on the same phase as a home theater circuit. This may be hard in your case, as there is a good chance that some TV power outlet circuits are on opposite phases, so only some would be problematic in this case. It might be worth checking though-- you might by chance have all the power outlets that feed your TV's on the same phase as your dimmer, or have wires that run along with your dimmer wire; it would be a relatively quick test if you switched it. (*** Sorry, I would be happy to post some links, but this system won't let me post a URL, even to this same forum, until I have more than 15 posts...)

BTW in my box, as far as I can tell, the poles are _not_ left vs. right. I think the first row (left and right) is pole 1, the second is pole 2, third is pole 1 again, etc., down through the box. It is a "Square D" box, and the phases kind of look like 2 opposing rakes, with the tines alternating, if that makes any sense. :).

Anyway, I don't know if this will help, but it might be worth a look.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks