1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by steve jaros, Sep 18, 2019.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Supporting Actor

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Title: Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

Tagline: She broke all the rules.

Genre: Documentary

Director: Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman

Cast: Linda Ronstadt, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Don Henley, David Geffen, Cameron Crowe, Aaron Neville, Johnny Carson, Johnny Cash, Glenn Frey, Ringo Starr

Release Date:

Runtime: 95

Plot: With one of the most memorably stunning voices that has ever hit the airwaves, Linda Ronstadt burst onto the 1960s folk rock music scene in her early twenties.

2. steve jaros

Steve
    I grew up in the 1970s and 1980s, when Linda Ronstadt was a ubiquitous rock and pop star. Strangely, she seems to be somewhat forgotten these days compared to some of her peers, which makes no sense to me. Her voice was arguably peerless during that time, she made such sweet music.

This documentary plays it straight and narrow, but with someone like LR, that works just fine. Nostalgic for those of us who lived her prime, educational for those who came after. Recommended.

benbess likes this.
  3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Looking forward to catching this at some point.

The one thing I always remember from The History of the Eagles was Glenn Frey's observation regarding Linda Ronstadt - "She has a voice as big as a house."

Regarding the idea that she seems strangely forgotten; I wonder about that and perhaps it is because she left rock behind at some point in the '80s. Unlike artists who suffer untimely deaths or groups that break up at the peak of their popularity - she continued performing in other genres which alters folk's perceptions (I think.) Purely speculative of course, and kind of reflects my own thoughts in some ways. (The voice was still there, but I was less interested in her post-rock production as a matter of personal taste.)

- Walter.

steve jaros likes this.
  4. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Wonderful voice. Different Drum is never off my playlist.

Robert Crawford and LeoA like this.
  5. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I'm not too likely to watch this, but hardly a week goes by without me listening to Different Drum at least once.

6. steve jaros

Steve
    That could be, but IIRC, her career as a pre-rock "torch song" singer, which began with "What's New" in 1983, was basically as big as her 1970s rock career was. She had some very successful albums during that time, concluding with her "trio" work with Dolly Parton and Emmylou Harris. She definitely was a big pop star until the early 90s, when she started making Spanish language albums.

But like you, I was a fan of her as a rock and roll artist, so I lost a lot of interest in her work after she left the genre.

7. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

Don’t forget about this collaboration

(I couldn’t find the clip from later in the episode where she does a Spanish version)

JohnMor, steve jaros and TravisR like this.
  8. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

One thing I have tended to notice is that she hits with Different Drum which is a song about rejection of monogamy and then later (I think) When Will I be Loved...”I’ve been cheated and mistreated.....”

9. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I agree. I lost interest when she went pop and mariachi and never bought another of her albums , although I bought most up to that point.