What's new

Life expectancy of DVD Recorder? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I know that a CDRW drive lasts a little under three years, or 4,000 burns, IIRC. But what's the life expectancy of a DVD Recording Drive?

Also, a set top DVD Recorder records stuff directly from the TV, like a VCR. Does a Computer version have this capability?

Thanks! I'm less than two weeks away from making my first purchase of one, and want to be informed.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I know that CD-RW discs have a limited number of burns, but had not heard anything about the drives themselves. What's the reason?

Set-top recorders have tuners and hardware MPEG encoder chips. For computers, you can also get tuner cards and hardware or software encoders, but I don't know of any current packages that go the whole nine yards so that you can record directly onto DVD in real-time, at least not yet. Such a system would also be susceptible to delays; for example, don't play Quake or defrag your hard drive while it's trying to record.

//Ken

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I beg to differ on CDRW drives having a finite lifespan. I've been using my HP 7200i since June of 1998 and it still works perfectly. Not sure about the 4000 burns, but I've made a LOT of discs with it. There's no reason that a DVD-R drive shouldn't last for just as long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks