What's new

Life-Changing-Decisions (TV&DVDPlayer) (1 Viewer)

Eddie Ramirez

Auditioning
Okay, here's the deal

I personally own:

Onkyo 575X Receiver

Polk RT800i Mains

Polk CS245i Center

Bose 201 Surrounds

2 DirecTivo Boxes

About 80 DVD's

Right now I'm living with roommates who provide the TV's and the DVD player. In one month, the roommate with my bedroom TV and the sole DVD player is going to Australia.

So, in one month I need to buy a replacement bedroom TV.

In Four months, I plan on living alone in a studio apartment.

Since I'll be living alone soon, I'd rather buy a 27" or larger TV for my bedroom now and later use it as my main TV when I get my own place. I'll also need a DVD player, which isn't that important now (but will be, come summer and those lonely nights).

TV

-I'd like something 27" or greater.

-Somewhere around $500

-Either Flat or Not

-Must have "16x9" Mode/"Anamorphic Squeeze"

-Component Video Input for the DVD player

-S-Video for my receiver, which will be doing the remaining switching

-Thinking either Sony or Samsung flat screen 27"

DVD Player

-Something under $300

-No real preferences

-I don't think I need progressive scan, I plan on owning whatever TV I buy now for at least a couple years.

-DVD Audio sounds cool but I'm not sure if I'll use it that much (I would like to use those multi channel inputs on my receiver).

-I guess I'd like something with a good deinterlacer

-I also like DVD players that show Remaining Time (for those tiresome DVD's).

-Don't burn too many MP3 CD's

-Maybe Digital Coaxial (Since the Two DirecTivos use Optical)

-Thinking Toshiba SD4700(for DVD-A), Panasonic RP56(For good deinterlacer) . . that's it.

If anyone can help me decide or maybe suggest better alternatives based on my needs, I'd be much obliged. This will be the setup I plan on using for at least the next couple years.

btw, I plan on buying the Sony SAWM40 Sub whenever I see it under $150 shipped

Thanks

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Eddie,
The Sony or Samsung are probably good tv choices. I dont know of any other sets in that pricerange with a user selectable 16/9 mode.
As far as the dvd player goes, de-interlacing is only done by progressive scan players, so if you don't get a progressive scan player it's not an issue.
Toshiba and Sony players will display remaining time on a dvd, I don't think Panasonics do. JVCs will, but only in the form of a graphic that looks like a sorta gas guage, not in minutes/seconds.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Eddie:

There was a report on this forum not too long ago that SAM's was selling a clone of the flat 27'' Samsung with 16:9 squeeze for around $369. May be worth checking to see if they still have it.

Eddie Ramirez

Auditioning
Thanks for the clearing up the deinterlacer for me.

So maybe the Toshiba is the DVD Player for me?

Anybody have any comments on the SD4700?

As for TV's, I guess I'll be choosing between the Sony and the Samsung .. . Whichever is on sale at BestBuy next month.

I think it might be best to avoid the clone.

I just want a nice DVD player that will look really good on either the sony or samsung in 16x9 mode.

thanks for all the help

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I think it might be best to avoid the clone.
The only reason I could possibly think to justify your position would be the fact that maybe you don't like the silver color of the Akai clone (the Samsung is black). Otherwise, the only difference is the badge on the front.

But then again, Sony Wegas are silver only. Well here's another excuse: you might not have a Sam's Club membership.

Anyways, I have a Toshiba 3750 (the same as the 4700, but w/o DVD Audio). It's a great player; you really can't miss.

JVCs are popular amongst members of this forum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks