What's new

LFE track to mains? (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
My I would like to get more bass out of my system. My sub has a High level in (that says from amp) and a high level out that says (to speakers) Can i use the high level out and hook them up to my mains with the mains already connected to their designated L/R channels. or is the high level in/out stricly for recievers without an LFE output. So the question is, will the high level out output the LFE track to my mains. and is there any possible damage that could be done to the sub, reciever, or mains. Also, if this is possible, will it distort my midrange sounds having all this extra bass coming from the mains? They are only 2way. 10" woofer and tweeter.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
HI level means speaker level,and no you cannot connect both at the same time,or you can damage the receiver/amp.
Also the speaker level output from a sub is mostly highpassed[bass filtered out] so you would not gain more bass at all.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ok how about this. I turn off the sub in the reciever. Now the reciever redirects the LFE to all the other speakers. I then connect speaker wire from the one main that is right beside the sub (just because it will be easy)to the high-level in on the sub. that way the sub gets the LFE track and all the other speakers do aswell. Please advise if this is a bad Idea. I realize that this might limit the LFE track to 20hz because it is going through the speaker wire but my sub sucks anyway and can't play past 35hz so that is not really a problem. Will doing this setup add distortion to my 5.0 speakers due to the extra bass coming from them. will it distort the midrange stuff?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
seems you need to read up some more on bass management.

why don't you just use a speaker-level connection from your receiver to the sub?

PeterK

Supporting Actor
My reciever only has LFE for the sub. Could someone direct me to some bass managment reading. And I just want to know if the above situation I described could be harmful to any component. If not, I want to try it to see what it sounds like.

Is the high level in on the sub meant to reciever a powered signal?

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of receivers have a setting that will direct the bass below the crossover point to BOTH the main channels (front L&R) AND the sub, simultaneously. On my Denon 1803 the setting is called something like Sub Mode and the options are "Normal" which means the sub gets only the 5.1 LFE and the fronts get the full range (assuming they're set to large), and "MAIN + LFE", which is the setting I described above. It seems to work quite well for me.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That's workable,distorsion may only arrise if your speakers can't handle the bass.Frankly if better bass you're after buy a better sub,and use line level connection only with "small" speaker select all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks