What's new

LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA - 5/22/07 - Japanese 5.1 MLP (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
That cover is so nice it makes me wish the cases came in straight solid black.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You're dead right Chris. That's my only real complaint so far with HD media is the cases. Most of the time it seems the Maroon color appears to blend in more but yeah, black would be awesome here.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The Blu-ray gets PCM, the HD-DVD gets TrueHD. Coming from WB they'll both be 16 bit. The Blu-ray version could easily hold the full 24 bit master, but nooooo. WB and great sound... they don't seem to go together.

Dan

Eric F

Screenwriter
Makes no nevermind to me, I'll take TrueHD on the BD version because I have a PS3 so I'm set.

Sounds like they are just slapping an identical encode and putting it on a BD (as usual). At least it's on a BD50 instead of a BD25 this time.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Sheer conjecture here, but it could be Warner is starting to use BD50s more becuase piracy is becoming more of an issue.

Now if we could only convince them to actually take advantage of the full BD50...

Eric F

Screenwriter
Then really push your manufacturers for firmware updates. TrueHD is going to become more common, as Sony is going to start using it more often on their own titles as well.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Kind of a tough move for Warner. While I certainly applaud their decision to finally give BD the same audio treatment, this does alienate the standalone owners for Blu-ray. I suppose they took the least amount of casualties as the PS3 seems to be what most BD owners have?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, it's the right move even with me being a Samsung owner. I suspect that I will have a new BR player within a year that will allow me to listen to that codec properly.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
The Panasonic player just received a firmware update that allows for TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding, so it's not all standalone player. Just most of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks