What's new

LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA - 5/22/07 - Japanese 5.1 MLP (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm buying the BRD because I don't want to encourage Warner about those combo-discs. Also, it's being released on HD-DVD/BRD on the same day as Flags of our Fathers which is cool.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Will this be Warner or Paramount? Flag is being released by Paramount/DreamWorks, and it seems odd that the studios would split them up.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Thanks for the link on this Marek. And you're right, May 22 has got to be the single most expensive day in home video history. :) at least in High Def history ;)

Flags Of Our Fathers
Letters from Iwo Jima
Pirates Of the Caribbean-Curse of the Black Pearl
Pirates Of the Caribbean-Dead Man's Chest
The Matrix Trilogy
40 Year Old Virgin
Freedom Writers
Mission Impossible 1 & 2
Skeleton Key
Apocalypto
Smokey & The Bandit :D
Closer
The Hurricane
Primeval

Sheesh....it's huge I tell you. :)

Might be time to auction off a kidney or something. :crazy:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't think that listing applies to the U.S. as that is a UK website. LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA is a Paramount release in the U.S. and a Warner release for all non-U.S. theatrical.

This will most likely be a Paramount Home Video release. I'm not seeing a DVD release date yet for either Letters from Iwo Jima or Flag of our Fathers in the US and no listing for a High Def release, Although I suspect it's coming.

Doug

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor

And Letters was most definitely a WB release in the U.S. The studios did indeed split them up, with Dreamworks/Paramount getting the U.S. rights to Flags (and the international rights to Letters) and WB getting the U.S. rights to Letters (and the international rights to Flags). It's not an unusual arrangement for studio co-productions.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Doug check it closer,
its mentioned in first sentence that it is US release..
dvdtimes is NEWS and REVIEW site for all releases...

Marek

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I hope it turns out to be PCM rather than THD. Since they will both use the same VC-1 encode, there will be plenty of extra space and bandwidth that will go unused anyway. I'm sure the THD track will contain dialog normalization, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that DVD Times is correct about it being PCM.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting IMDB (consider the source) Lists Letters as a Paramount Theatrical release in the U.S. and Warner everywhere else. Was this perhaps the last film produced before Paramount bought Dreamworks, hence the Warner video rights? I didn't see this one in the theater so I'm not sure.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Non PS3 owners need that release to be PCM otherwise the only people on BR able to take advantage of the HD lossless audio will be PS3 owners. That's not a good sign.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Hopefully if it is THD, the firmware upgrades will be finished for the standalones by then.

The whole purpose of THD is to save space. If they're going to have tons of empty space and bandwidth, putting THD on this release serves no purpose whatsoever.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Flags from Paramount will be Dolby + for both BD and HD according to DVD Empire.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Careful when using the acronym THD, as Warner uses this acronym to describe TotalHD discs. Maybe use TrueHD instead.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Good Lord! I didn't realize I had missed some of those... My wife is going to kill me. :frowning:

May 22 - The New Christmas

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks