What's new

Pre-Order Legend (1985) Limited Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine was delivered today, and I think it's another wonderful product by Arrow. These Limited Editions they've been putting out the last couple of years are just spectacular! My wife and I will be watching the Theatrical tonight.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Got mine last week from Amazon.

There seems to be a split in the camp on which version is the better of the two on the Arrow set. Just as I prefer the long version of IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (since out on Criterion BD), I am in the camp of those who prefer the Director’s Cut. It is certainly the definitive version of the film and as close as possible to what had been intended by the filmmakers, right down to the Jerry Goldsmith score.

Although there is film grain on both versions (you have to remember this is an ‘80s film, and obviously predating digital films of today), it is the best the film is gonna look, and certainly surpasses Universal’s previous video editions.

I did watch the Theatrical Cut with its commentary, and right off the bat you can see everything that could have possibly gone wrong with a cult classic. It was indeed savagely altered by the powers-that-be that wanted to aim for a younger audience.

Despite the fact the European Cut could not be included due to ownership and territorial issues (and in turn why a 4K could not also be included), the supplements (both new to this release and carried-over-from-the-DVD features) tell the story of its production, and the bonuses (booklet, etc.) make the new Arrow set worth getting.

Yes, I have seen the Euro Cut on Japanese LD, and looking back on seeing it is no big loss here as despite the fact it also has Goldsmith’s score and has some differential footage from the U.S. counterpart, it is really not the best version of the film to recommend. But if you are a completest and really want to own this cut, good luck finding it on eBay or Amazon…every fan is seeking this out. I am not in a hurry to get this anyway.

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There seems to be a split in the camp on which version is the better of the two on the Arrow set. Just as I prefer the long version of IT’S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (since out on Criterion BD), I am in the camp of those who prefer the Director’s Cut. It is certainly the definitive version of the film and as close as possible to what had been intended by the filmmakers, right down to the Jerry Goldsmith score.

Other than Tangerine Dream fans who prefer their score over Goldsmith's (which is fair enough, for those who like the band), I don't know too many people who would ever claim that the theatrical cut is better than the Director's Cut. The theatrical cut is really a total mess.

I don't think the Director's Cut is a particularly great movie either, but it's certainly better than what got released to theaters.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
The US cut is literally edited like an MTV video and the International cut is not. So the US scenes actually lack flow and rhythm but I admittedly love the TD score minus the horrible Jon Anderson song at the end.

The 2k looks amazing and every image is like a painting. What I miss in the US cut is the full Megs Mucklebones scene which is peak Bottin and Picardo -- and Cruise is fine in the film. It would be hard for anybody to take on that puck role and make it sing (pun). I was there and fantasy was tough on film in the Reagan era despite the obvious hits. Ironic that Tom Cruise wouldn't have long hair again until INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE and he was praised for that.

I'm always amazed that whole scenes of films like LEGEND can be lost. If you're spending 20 million plus, make a beta copy! I was even surprised collectors like Dante didn't have their own footage -- which of course he did!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I bought the original one sheet, and the press kit from 1985 many years ago. The poster got destroyed, but I still have the press kit.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I wanted to ask something:
I just got the regular edition from Amazon and it came with a broken case on the edge, and a bit teared up as you can see in the photo. I haven't taken it out of its shrink wrap.
Do you think I could return it and ask for a substitute?
Will I get it at the same price I paid it for? (it's more expensive now)

Attachments

• IMG_20230905_153814.jpg
    IMG_20230905_153814.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks