What's new

Pre-Order Legend (1985) Limited Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I always thought Conan The Destroyer owned that title!
That is a good one too. Boils down to matter of opinion I guess. I am also of the opinion that the Dungeons, and Dragons movie from the year 2000 is about as far from the role playing game you can get. Very poor.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
How come no U.S. DVD or Blu release of the film include the European cut? It's not a big loss, but this is the same Ridley Scott who let all FIVE versions of "Blade Runner" available in one box set. Is it legal issues? Is it because that cut was never released on VHS in the States?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
How come no U.S. DVD or Blu release of the film include the European cut? It's not a big loss, but this is the same Ridley Scott who let all FIVE versions of "Blade Runner" available in one box set. Is it legal issues? Is it because that cut was never released on VHS in the States?
European cut is owned by Disney. Simple as that.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The theatrical cut is the only one I ever watch, and I know that is blasphemy to some, but just the way it is for me.
I liked the director's cut (DC) a lot....but I agree, Bryan, the US theatrical I enjoy more, and I think Tangerine Dream did a more unique, attentive, interesting score that works. J. Goldsmith's score is honestly wonderful, however, in the DC. ...there is just a scene on the laserdisc, I remember years ago, where Jack and tribe are below getting closer to Darkness and Lily, and these goblins jump out, which they have to fight back....I've never seen that in any other release besides the US laserdisc.... Meg says hello, btw:
1624756547899.png

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
IMO the film is a glorious trainwreck no matter which version you're talking about, but it's worth it for Tim Curry's performance (and his amazing makeup) alone.

Yeah, this movie is really only interesting from a production design and visuals standpoint, and for the stories of the many disasters that befell its creation. The director's cut takes an outright bad movie and raises it to the level of sort-of-OKish, but I would not call any version of this film "good." And honestly, I don't think it ever would have been good even if there hadn't been all the studio interference and the stage fire. The script was underbaked from the beginning.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Ah - sounds like a genuine cult movie, unlike the appalling A Good Year. Arrow Video certainly know their cult films. Is bad Tom Cruise more watchable than bad Russell Crowe? Thing is, Arrow Video has put together another tremendous package. Ridley Scott's commentaries are among the best out there - that alone would be worth buying it for. If he can comment as freely on this train-wreck of a production on the Director's Cut disc, as Terry Gilliam does on Brazil, I'm in.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ah - sounds like a genuine cult movie, unlike the appalling A Good Year. Arrow Video certainly know their cult films. Is bad Tom Cruise more watchable than bad Russell Crowe? Thing is, Arrow Video has put together another tremendous package. Ridley Scott's commentaries are among the best out there - that alone would be worth buying it for. If he can comment as freely on this train-wreck of a production on the Director's Cut disc, as Terry Gilliam does on Brazil, I'm in.
I don't even think Tom Cruise did a bad job. He simply acted the role he was given. I'm not sure why this movie gets so much hate, Story was simply is no better, or worse than other fantasy films of the 80's (The Neverending Story, Willow, Krull, Dragonslayer etc.) and in my opinion was much, much more appealing visually than all of the others.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IMO Cruise was woefully miscast in this film. He just didn't fit the part, and to this day he takes me out of the movie whenever he's on-screen, which is a lot of the time, unfortunately. :)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Yeah, Cruise was terribly miscast and looks out of place the entire movie. And the story isn't just "simple;" the theatrical cut is flat-out incoherent. Comparing it to other crappy fantasy films like Krull and Willow is surely damning it with faint praise. The man who made Alien and Blade Runner should have been capable of better at that point in his career.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Ah - sounds like a genuine cult movie, unlike the appalling A Good Year. Arrow Video certainly know their cult films. Is bad Tom Cruise more watchable than bad Russell Crowe?

IMO, for all its faults Legend is still quite watchable because, at the very least, it was a product of the period where Ridley Scott still gave a damn about the films he made. You can tell that he was really trying to make something special, even with an underdeveloped script.

The many production disasters that befell Legend broke something inside Scott, and he was never the same afterward. He'd never put that level of passion into anything again.

One of my favorite insights into Scott was found in the bonus features to Body of Lies. In one of the interviews, Scott says that he doesn't like to spend too long setting up his scenes or doing multiple takes, because he doesn't want to waste the actors' time. He'd rather get in, get it done, and get out. That's simply not the same man who nearly brought Harrison Ford to punch him in the face for micro-managing every detail of the lighting and production design in Blade Runner.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think it's difficult to dash off the likes of Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, and The Martian, and smaller films that are extremely well-calibrated, like Thelma & Louise. I don't like all his movies and wish he'd left Alien alone but after Legend (which I'm fond of) I think he realized he was getting lost on the soundstages in the pre-digital era and needed a less heavy-handed approach with actors and material. He also likes to keep in work, which is hard to do if every project takes three years to bring to fruition and Harrison Ford is ready to punch your face for a long chunk of that time.

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
LEGEND is the closet thing we got to a modern epic Cocteau fantasy film and Curry is the most dazzling devil in film history. It has the same aura as BLADE RUNNER in being visionary. People don't get that because this failed we got dull Scott 2.0 starting with SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER MEzzzzzzzzz.....

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Ask 10 different people which is the best version of Legend, and you'll get 10 different answers (and there's only three versions :)).

Seriously, everyone seems to have a different opinion about why their favorite cut is the best, and that's one of the things that makes this movie so fascinating.

I won't ever watch the theatrical again. Crappy editing, medioce Tangerine Dream score (Universal has thrown away the better score more than once: remember the TORN CURTAIN debacle?) Director's cut: more finely-tuned, with magnificent Goldsmith music.

Like I said... :)

I also prefer Goldsmith score. It's more intricate and helps establish the intended atmosphere and mood of the film much better.

That said, I think Tangerine Dream's score is unique and "out-of-the-box," and it provides a different, but no less distinctive feel. Considering they had relatively little time to work on it, it's impressive in its own right.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
This “film” is like watching a series of Herbal Essence shampoo commercials sewn together which is not surprising given Scott’s background. Its pretty to look at with no plot whatsoever.
But I still love it cause Scott’s one of the few directors who always gives us something least suspected.
Will there be a Collector’s Edition w some Underwood Deviled Ham included?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This movie has always existed in an undefinable realm between good and bad for me. There is so much in it that's magnificent, but it never quite gels into a cohesive whole. Still, there's obviously something about it that has captivated many people over the years (myself included).

It reminds me of the Fellini quote about "understanding" a film:

"If you are moved by it, you don't need it explained to you. If not, no explanation can make you moved by it.”

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
IMO Cruise was woefully miscast in this film. He just didn't fit the part, and to this day he takes me out of the movie whenever he's on-screen, which is a lot of the time, unfortunately. :)
Had he never went on to superstardom starting with his breakout role in 'Top Gun' just a few months after the release of this film I think he would have been a lot more suited for it.
Even I have issues watching it now, looking at it now trying to see a humble forest person in a fantasy film, and instead seeing Tom Cruise poster boy for $mega millions$ action star.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The video quality (Theatrical) on this release is phenomenal. I'm extremely pleased. The colors are just so eye popping. It has never looked so good. Audio isn't bad either (2.0, or 5.1).

The new special features are great too. I watched "Remebering a Legend" which clocked in at around 30 minutes. A deep dive with the production supervisor, costume designer, and others including the actress that played Oona.

Nice looking box, with goodies. If you are a fan of this film, I can't think of a better way to blow $35.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks