What's new

Legal issues - Music/DVDs (1 Viewer)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hello,
As some of you know, I created a nice little Flash tutorial on OAR (http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml) and am working on an upgraded, more accurate, more detailed interactive version. However, I have some questions regarding legal issues.
First, just how do I go about getting permission to use audio & video clips?
Second, if I don't get permission, just how much trouble am I going to be in?
This is a not-for-profit Flash tutorial and will not be sold by any means whatsoever. Full credit will be given in a "copyright" section to all studios & artists whose work I include. So far, I've got a full minute of audio from a "Moby" track and plan to include a minute or two of video from various DVDs (scaled way down, of course, so it doesn't take all day to download). None of the audio/video will be anywhere near a "complete copy" of any work - I'm just using it to spice up this tutorial.
If I was just making this for a few people to look at, I wouldn't worry about it, but based on the inital response here, enough people are going to see this new version that I fear getting a letter from some studio's law firm.
So, do any of you "armchair lawyers" have any advice for me?
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
You know, it wouldn't hurt to put the initial pass at this in the Studio Feedback. We've got some good representation who may be able to comment in some way other than a form letter pre-emptively telling you to cease and desist. I'm sure they;ll see that you're doing something that is at the very heart of the HTF, and they may be able to relay positive word.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks