What's new

Led Zeppelin.... (1 Viewer)

David Hobbes

Stunt Coordinator
spent some of this weekend watching the DVD of Led Zep....

Simply the greatest rock band of all!!

Jimmy Page is a musical genius and other than Hendrix the greatest rock guitarist of all...his playing, particularly in the early shows (Royal Albert hall footage) is phenomenal....the amount of incredible riffs he created for Zep are unmatched by any other band....

and what separates Zep from the rest is that not only could they play as fast and as loud as any other band, they grooved like no other rock band...thanks to the best bass/drums combo in rock history...

and the variety of music: rock, blues, country, folk, metal...

what a band...

Max F

Second Unit
I actually enjoy the second disc the most cause it rocks harder. Seeing Jimi Page give it everything he's got on Achillis Last Stand is an awsome experience. Totally blows the studio version away.

I really like the first disc too! I especially like John B. on the first show. He had it all there right from the beginning. Very tight.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
When I watch their DVD, and the Song Remains the Same, I get very depressed. I doubt very much if we'll ever see another band quite like them that combined musical ability along with excellent and creative writing, and their incredible live performances all together. They were so freaking good! 'Course, I also feel that way about the Who, Deep Purple, Cream, the Allman Bros Band with Duane, Yes, Genesis, mid 70's King Crimson, etc. ;)

Max F

Second Unit
Thats why if i were to time travel, i would go to 1969 and just go to concerts - all the damn time. That is my dream :D

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I think I'll have to watch those 2 again. On a related note I picked up Led Zep - Physical Graffiti and Allman Bros - Live At The Fillmore for a total of $4(both are 2-disc sets). I was as giddy as a little school girl.:D

A big :emoji_thumbsup: to Zep and the Allmans.

Manus

Second Unit
We were really spoiled in those days , weren't we ?
Watched the Who at Royal albert Hall recently too, and they still had it then. The unplugged section gets me every time.
And Travelling Riverside Blues ...:)

M

Rob_D

Agent
Unlike many other bands, Led Zeppelin is timeless and their music never grows old. Indeed, there will never be another Led Zeppelin, or The Who, Beatles, Stones.............

Rob_D

Agent
HTWWW is the cd, the dvd doesn't actually have a name. I do agree though that Trampled.. from Earl's Court '75 is mindblowing.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
When The Levee Breaks

an underrated and all-too-topical masterpiece.

Here's hoping our Southern brethren and mademoiselles bounce back.

PEACE

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Since someone's already started a Zep thread...

I have most of their albums in the original CD releases. I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to the remasters. Anybody out there have any opinions on this??

Amen. I just can't see folks 30-40 years from now listening to today's bands the same way we listen to the great bands of the 60s & 70s today.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
i didn't know there was a new remaster? Unless you mean the 92 remaster. I'd wait, since the 92 one isn't too great on the first 4 albums

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I like the remasters. They include most of the original lp artwork, and on Physical Graffiti for example, they put back in the inter-song chatter that was missing from the original CD releases.

I'd really like to see them all remastered for DVD-A or SACD (or Blu-Ray), but we might all be waiting a long time for that. ;)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, I know the remasters are over a decade old. I bought most of my Zep CDs in the late 80s. I'm just in a period of updating and completing my CD collection and I'm wondering if I should upgrade. DVD-A or SACD would be nice, but there's been nary a hint of that so, like Kevin, I'm not holding my breath.
Would you consider the 92 remasters of the first four inferior to the original CD releases??

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't. You do have to realize that the first 4 lps were all recorded before 1971. There are other limitations than just CD mastering. :)

I had all of the original CDs, and then I got the remasters. I preferred the remasters pretty much across the board.

Here is a really good thread. Make sure to read the whole thing though. A bunch of different opinions in there. :)

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...t=led+zeppelin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks