What's new

Led Zeppelin backwards satanic message? (1 Viewer)

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
Apperently if you play a certain part of Stairway to Heaven backwards, you get some satanic messages.

Click here and play the song backwards and see if you can make it out. Then, play the song backwards once again and read the reverse lyrics.

It sort of sounds familiar, but it also sounds like a coincidence :)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Here's a neat trick for those of you with the BEATLES - SGT. PEPPER CD.

Rip the last few seconds of the final track A DAY IN THE LIFE. Forwards, it sounds like nonsense. Backwards, it sounds like:

I will f**k you like a Superman

(Tried to post sound clips to my webspace so you all can hear but forgot my FTP password :angry: )

Jim_F

Screenwriter
If you play Revolution 9 on the White Album backwards, "number 9" sounds like "Turn me on, dead man." This may be an indication that Paul was dead at the time (at least it has been noted by one of his colleagues that those freaks was right when they said that)

BrentPollard

Second Unit
It is all coincidence and nothing more. If you get different people singing or speaking the same lines you will not likely get the same results. For Zep or the Beatles to get a particular sentence to sound a certain way when played backwards would have taken waay too much time and effort.
Now if Satan himself inspired the lyrics for Stairway to heaven then it becomes more plausible.:)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
When I was in college, I went to a seminar that talked about "backmasking." They offered three explanations and examples of each:

1. Coincidence. There are relatively few words, let alone sentences, that make sense spoken backwards. However, there was a good example - Queen's Another One Bites the Dust when played backwards, sounds uncannily like "start to smoke marijuana."

2. Artist intent. As mentioned, the Beatles (#9) did this a few times, as well as ELO and other groups.

3. Divine influence. I found out later in the seminar that the whole thing was being sponsored by a Christian organization that believed the devil had placed messages in certain songs when played backwards. Stairway to Heaven sounded like "here's to my sweet Satan," and so on. But it wasn't clear--you could just as easily have heard "the moon is made of cheese." It was all the power of suggestion.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I pooched a stylus running STH backwards with a reversable drill... :b

There was a book I read once about theories of mathematics involved in building the great pyramid... I think it finally proved that if you look hard enough for anything... you will find something.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
If you play "Stairway to Heaven" backwards, you'll hear something that very clearly sounds like "I wish it would snow". It's certainly not Satanic and I'm confident that it's accidental (I mean, is it worth it to purposely backwards-mask "I wish it would snow?") but that's actually what it sounds like.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Billy Joel's hit "Scenes from an Italian restaurant" when played backwards at half speed contained the sinister satanic riddle:

"No matter how thin you slice it / It is always bologna"

I swear to god :D

OK, I lied. This was a joke in a Doonsberry cartoon during the early eighties. But it is hilarious.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
IIRC, Pink Floyd deliberately hid a spoken message in one of their tracks (Echoes?), which said something like "Congratulations, you have found the secret message. Call xxx-xxxx to claim your prize". Sort of a piss-take on all those who'd claimed they were into satanic back-masking.

Also, one of Prince's tracks is deliberate backmasking (can't remember the details, though).

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Actually, Floyd put in the intentional backwards message on The Wall album, as the lead-in to "Empty Spaces.'' It says something like: "Congratulations, you have found the secret message.''

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

I think what Brian meant was that the Beatles did all sorts of studio tricks during their time. Including tape loops, distortion tricks, and running tapes of guitars and other instruments backwards, and occasionally, some dialog too. It wasn't to hide messages, just a purposely placed cool effect - the source is the music itself. It's not difficult to tell when a taped sound is really running backwards.

Joel

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I agree, Joel. I thought Brian was refering specifically to Revolution #9's "turn me on dead man". I know they liked to play with intentional backwards sound loops, but I never read that the #9 thing was intentional.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
I believe the title was simply "The Great Pyramid of Cheops".

It contained several mathematical and historical hypothesis about it's dimensions and construction.

Mike Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
That Pink Floyd one is really funny...and really obvious. "Congratulations you have just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to old pink...???...chilsfert....??" I couldn't figure out the rest.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Several tracks on Styx' Killroy Was Here (Domo arigoto Mr Roboto... Sorry... couldnt resist) had intentional, unhidden (no music playing... just Dennis DeYoung's voice) backwards tracks... I think it even carried a label that read "warning, Contains backwards masking subliminal messages..." or some silly nonsense like that... Unfortunately, when you played them backwards the messeges were really lame, overly dramatic, theatrical monologues... More early evidence of Dennis DeYoung's slow decent into showtunes...

I think Def Leopard's Pyromania had some intentional backwards stuff on there as well?

It was all a marketing gimmick... even when the beatles did it... Much like "easter eggs" in modern day video games... They could sell more albums by floating a rumor there were "hidden messages" on the album. That gets to people's curiosity, so people who wouldnt have bought the album, buy it anyways... and then when people who WOULD have bought the album anyways scratched up their original LPS trying to hear the "secret message" theyd have to go out and buy a replacement... This was a phenomenon of the 60 and 70s... You dont hear about Backwards tracks on new releases anymore.... WHY??? Because you cant play a CD backwards and hear what is being said... The demise of Vinyl killed backwards masking...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks