What's new

Led Zeppelin Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Continuing with my current appreciation thread kick, I present Led Zeppelin:
Stairway To Heaven= IMHO the greatest song ever
When The Levee Breaks= IMHO the second or third greatest song ever
Battle of Evermore, Kashmir, Tangerine, Rock and Roll, Misty Mountain Hop are all among the all-time great songs as well.
Man, I wish I could have been alive in the 70's and went on tour with them, if only to learn the real truth about the "mudshark incident.":D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'll tell ya this much: Zeppelin was my "gateway" band. Because of them, I started getting into the blues, which in turn led me to explore jazz. Also, they were the first "classic rock" band I liked, which led me getting into some of the "prog" acts. Now, 10 years later, I have over 800 CDs and am an obsessive music nut.

I hate Led Zeppelin because they are responsible for making me spend all of money.

Zeppelin is one of the few "classic rock" bands that I agree with all the praise and admiration. Greatest rock band ever? Possibly.

John Paul Jones- most underrated bassist ever.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the super-long live versions of Dazed and Confused.

My Zeppelin discography: The Complete Studio Recordings box set.

I don't have any live stuff. The movie Song Remains the Same is a little too corny for me and the soundtrack doesn't have particularly good sound quality. The BBC Sessions, with three or four versions of Communication Breakdown and a 28 minute Dazed and Confused, doesn't appeal to me either.

Zeppelin's song-writing ability gets overlooked. Most people lean towards their early stuff. While it's certainly great, I don't think it pales in comparison to the stuff on Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffitti. Kashmir, Song Remains the Same, Ten Years Gone- goddamn are those tunes great.

NP: Grant Green, First Session, CD

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I love Zep. I only had Led Zep IV on cassette at the time and started reading the book "Hammer Of The Gods"(story of Zep) back in 1993. The author I can't think of. It was an excellent read and as the book progressed I picked up their CD's. I stopped at Physical Graffiti. I didn't much care for it.

My favorite is Led Zep I. Such a raw sound. Babe, I'm going to leave you is my choice track, from all albums. The great thing is about getting into Zeppelin is I went on a bit of a 70s kick for a couple years. Boston, Supertramp, Ten Years After...generic fare but great top 40 nonetheless.

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Zeppelin in concert in '77. The highlight of the show was one of their most overlooked studio songs. Check out "Ten Years Gone" from "Physical Grafitti". This song was the central moment of their last US tour.

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator
Early this year, I went to see King Crimson. However the opening act was John Paul Jones. He was touring in support of his new CD Zooma. I knew that he was a great musician, but I didn't know how great until this night. Freaking awesome! He used a bevy of instruments including a mandolin to play some lead guitar parts.
The highlight of the evening was when he did his version of When the Levee Breaks. No offense to Jimmy Page, but this was the definitive version of the song for me sans vocals. He used a pedal steel to play the lead parts and it blew my mind! If you get a chance to see this tour (if it's still going on), see it.
Bonus: I got a CD signed by him at the show.
NP: Supernatural Fairy Tales - The Progressive Rock Box Set

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

FYI: Jones just released his second album, Thunderthief.

I believe Crimson is planning on touring again, probably after they release their new album. I don't know if Jones is opening, though.

NP: Kind Diamond, Them, CD

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Well I just turned 16 so I don't have a car, and as far as I know I or someone else has paid for all my DVD's. But let's please try to remember that this thread is about Led Zeppelin, not ethics issues, and I see a padlock in this thread's very near future if this argument goes any further.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
What I find so very impressive about Led Zep, is how wonderfully diverse their catalog sounds. The 2nd album doesn't sound like the 1st, the 3rd is totally different, and so on. It really ruins you for other bands that never vary their sound from song to song, let alone album to album. Page wasn't the best guitarist in the world, but he pulls off everything with style. Still the reason I play.

I also saw JPJ open for Crimson, very impressive!

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
I'm not their biggest fan, but I agree with Vic_T, they have a diverse sound in their catalog which compared to so many one-trick bands is refreshing. I saw them in Oklahoma City in the late 70's and thought it a disappointing show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ron, when exactly did you see them? For a couple of years in the late 70s, they were really hit hard by drug addiction and personal tragedy- they were not up to snuff.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Early on I didn't much appreciate the jam versions of thier songs (like the Song Remains the Same stuff) but now I love them. Just like I used to think Battle of Evermore was a weak link and now it's one of my favs.

Tagerine, In My Time of Dying, Rain Song, No Quarter, Fool in the Rain, Custard Pie, Going to California are my favs, though I love it all.

Physical Grafiti was one of the first 5 CDs I bought over 15 years ago and remains my favorite Zep album.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Robert Plant, former frontman of iconic rock band Led Zeppelin, is to perform at Britain's Isle of Wight music festival in June, festival organizers announced on Friday.

Making a comeback after a 32-year absence from Britain's summer music festival scene, the Isle of Wight was host to some of the greatest names in 70s rock, including the last live performance of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix.

"It's great that we have managed to secure this exclusive date and they've even agreed to play at least five of the original Led Zeppelin tracks," said John Giddings, Managing Director of Solo.

Giddings said Plant had recorded a version of Hendrix's "Hey Joe" for his forthcoming album and would perform it at the festival as a tribute to the guitarist. Hendrix died in London 18 days after his Isle of Wight appearance in 1970.

Plant's performance on the island off Britain's south coast with his current band Strange Sensations is the former Zeppelin vocalist's only United Kingdom appearance this year, booking agents Solo said in a statement.

Other acts lined up for the festival's opening event on June 3 include British bands The Charlatans, Ash and newcomers Starsailor. It runs until June 16.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Thanks for that update, Jim! :emoji_thumbsup: A new album in the works for Plant? That was great news, as I was beginning to think he had retired.
Maybe this is the right group of members to ask. When will we ever see the release of Jimmy Page & Robert Plant: Unledded on DVD? :frowning:

KrisM

Second Unit
including the last live performance of guitar legend Jimi Hendrix[/QUOTE

I don't mean to be picky, and it has nothing to do with this thread, but Hendrix's last show was not Isle Of Wight. He played there on August 30. His last show was September 6 at Isle Of Fehmarn, West Germany. He also played five shows between those two.

Regards

KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks