What's new

Learn to Park!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I actually have fun with parking at work in our parking lot. There are so few of us and so many empty spaces we once had syncronized parking. Or pattern parking. One would pull in diagonally taking 2 spaces, then the next person would back in parallel to that person and so on. There are certain spots with really wide sides to them, they obviously aren't spots but I just pull half into the spot and half into the non-spot. Gives the person next to me more room. When it literally was just our company for the whole parking lot I would park in all kinds of ways just for the hell of it because there would only be 7 cars in the whole parking lot. Obviously I don't do this when its crowded or in shopping centers or other lots, but at work its no big deal because there is about 3 or 4 spaces for every car.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
http://www.prankplace.com/parking.htm
http://www.mcrenterprises.com/fakeparkingtickets.htm
http://www.gagworks.com/gwp_0250.htm
http://www.fakecrap.com/products/par...kets_fake.html

I personally like the tickets in the first link. They give you a nice list of boxes to check, so the person actually knows what they did wrong. I'm thinking if you don't tell them they'll have no clue. Here's an image:

These are spendy at $0.50 - $1.00 each (depending on qty), but it would be trivial to create & print your own.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If there is no sign, it's not a handicap spot. In many cases around here they move the handi spots from one place to another so the paint might be visible, but it isn't a handi spot any longer.
I don't agree with this. I don't see why there has to be an actual sign. I mean, if the spot is close to the front door and there is a big blue and white handicapped symbol on the concrete, it's quite clearly a handicapped spot. Usually when they move the spot they will paint over the symbols on the ground with black paint. It's been my experience that even if it's only marked on the ground it's still quite clear in most cases.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The note thing is done a lot around my college campus. If someone isn't parking correctly they will quickly be taught how. :) It does work, it's hard to find a jackass parker now unless it's snowing around here. And with 25k students, northern VA traffic, and not nearly enough parking spots this is very important.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It's been my experience that even if it's only marked on the ground it's still quite clear in most cases.
It's quite clear until the painted symbol is covered in snow/ice. Someone who parks in the lot regularly will know it's a handicapped spot but a newcomer to the lot won't necessarily know if there isn't a sign or visible markings.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
It's quite clear until the painted symbol is covered in snow/ice. Someone who parks in the lot regularly will know it's a handicapped spot but a newcomer to the lot won't necessarily know if there isn't a sign or visible markings.
Yes, I understand that, but Philip was stating that he didn't think a spot should be considered a handicapped parking space unless it had an actual sign (i.e. that he doesn't consider parking spaces only marked on the ground as true handicapped spots).

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ryan,

This is not a ticket, but if it were within my power, you would receive two. Because of your Bull Headed, inconsiderate, feeble attempt at parking, you have taken eough room for a 20 mule team, 2 elephants, 1 goat, and a safari of pygmies from the African interior. The reason for giving you this is so that in the future you may think of someone else, other than yourself. Besides, I don't like domineering, egotistical or simple minded drivers and you probably fit into one of those categories.

I sign off wishing you an early transmission failure (on the expressway at about 4:30 p.m.). Also, may the Flease of a thousand camels infest your ampits.

WITH MY COMPLIMENTS
I think I might invest in some of those tickets, or maybe print up my own. :D

Moe.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Since I have been the victim of many door dings, two crumpled fenders, a dent in my passenger side door and a broken parking light (all on my 2000 Celica) which all occurred in parking lots, I have now began to park diagonally across two parking spaces at the end of the parking lot in the north 40. I feel like most of you guys so I just leave the prime spots for the inconsiderate pricks among us and their new victims.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
When parking is provided for the public, designated accessible parking spaces must be provided, if doing so is readily achievable. An accessible parking space must have space for the vehicle and an additional space located either to the right or to the left of the space that serves as an access aisle. This aisle is needed to permit a person using a wheelchair, electric scooter, or other mobility device to get out of their car or van. A sign with the international symbol of accessibility must be located in front of the parking space and mounted high enough so it is not hidden by a vehicle parked in the space. Accessible parking spaces should be the spaces closest to the accessible entrance and be located on level ground. If it is not readily achievable to locate accessible parking in the closest spaces due to sloped pavement or other existing conditions, then the closest level area should be selected.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
So you would actually park in handicapped spot if it didn't have the actual sign but was clearly marked on the ground? I wouldn't and don't.
that isn't the argument.
I think I've pretty well established that to be an "official" handi spot it needs to be correctly marked.
Park there or don't park there, I really could care less.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Someone who parks in the lot regularly will know it's a handicapped spot but a newcomer to the lot won't necessarily know if there isn't a sign or visible markings."

That was my point, LOTS of regular customers know the spot is there they just choose to forget!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Moronic parkers are a major pet peeve of mine. Granted, this time of year I have a little more patience, especially when the lot is so snow covered that you really can't tell where the spots are. However, a little common sense goes a long way.

My most recent source of frustration is the Expectant Mothers spots at one of the local malls. These spots are marked with signs that say "Reserved for Expectant Mothers, or Parents with Small Children". Since my wife is both, we appreciate being able to use these spots. They have an odd configuration, though, so that there is one regular spot next to two of the three spots, which is actually the closest spot in the lot. Unfortunately, the last 4 times we've gone to the mall, there's been this blue van parked in that regular spot that parks at an angle and goes over the line just enough that you either can't use the one reserved spot, or must take up two of them in order to park there. After the second time, I called the mall to report the van. I finally found out that it belongs to the manager of one of the stores at the mall. I called the store and complained a couple times, but they didn't seem too interested. This past week, after seeing him parked there again, I called the store and stated my displeasure, then pointed out that the next time I see it, the van may end up with some severe damage. They said they'd be sure to get that message to the owner of the van.

One of the most outrageous examples of terrible parking I've ever seen is the young kid whose parents had bought him a nicy, shiny new Mustang convertible for graduation a few years back. I was at Meijer picking up some lunch on the way into work, and I saw that this kid had double-parked this beautiful new car across two handicapped spaces. I shook my head as I walked past, thinking for sure that someone was going to damage the car. Sure enough, on the way out I passed the kid crying and talking with the police and store security. Not only had it been deeply keyed from taillight to headlight on both sides, but the convertible top had been sliced down the middle. I can honestly say that I had no sympathy for the kid.

Back in college, I drove a 1980 Chevette. I would always park in the sub-compact spots on the 3rd floor of the parking garage, right by the walkway. I came out one day, and this massive boat of a car had parked right next to me. He had pulled in so close that there was only a few inches between us on my drivers side. I was a little angry, but even moreso after climbing in through the passenger side and having a great deal of difficulty getting over the parking break. Out of anger and frustration, I slammed open my door right into his several times before pulling out.

Several years ago, after I bought my new Buick, I was extremely worried about door dings. To be cautious, I would (and still do) either park next to the cart corral, a lightpost, or something else that would prevent someone from parking next to me, or would park further out in the lot where someone was less likely to park next to me. (NOTE: I would never double-park way out in the furthest reaches of the lot just because I had a friend who did that, and he was keyed twice) One morning I ran to Wal-Mart. It was around 7am, and there were only one or two other cars in the lot. Still, I parked pretty far out, and right next to a cart corral. I went in, did my shopping, and came out to find that this idiot in this awful mess of a car had not only parked as close to me as possible, but had also left a nasty-looking ding on my door. It was about 2 inches long, appeared to be quite deep, and had obviously come from their car because the rust and paint left on my door matched up with theirs. I went in and had the owner of the car paged, but after 3 pages and almost 20 minutes, they didn't respond. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten anything out of it. I'm fairly positive that they had no insurance--the car was falling apart, covered with rust, had plastic sheeting and electrical tape for one window, and a wooden back bumper held securely in place by a dozen or so bungee cords. I was so angry my face was hot to the touch. I have this little hole-puncher thingy on my pocket knife, and to vent my frustration used it on the door of the alleged vehicle. I only got angrier when I saw that you couldn't tell that I had done anything. Generally I would never react this way, but these were both very frustrating, extreme examples. Sadly, I could easily go much further with examples of extreme idiocy in parking lots.

LewB

Screenwriter

Hopefully the cops took his report, then issued him a ticket for parking in the handicapped space. :angry: :angry:

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Scott,

Did you ever get a chance to confront the owner of the shitbox that dented your Buick?

If that were me, I'd stand there all day waiting for the guy to return to his car. If he were to give me attitude and leave without being accountable for the damage, I'd mention that I'd be filing a "hit-and-run" charge with the police, citing his license plate information.

Years ago, a month after buying my new Honda Civic Si, a few friends and I drove up to Guelph Ontario (in my new car) to visit a friend of mine in University. Once entering the city, we pulled into a Convenience Store parking lot to pick up some munchees for the evening. I noticed a taxi-cab pull in right after me in the spot right next to mine. We were in the store no more than 3-5 minutes, and when we exited the cab was gone, but in it's place it had a left a nice 1 inch wide door-ding (more like a door-dent) across the side of my new car. It ruined my entire weekend, and the whole "new car" majesty was erased. I never did fix that dent, and I've always kicked myself for not catching the asshole in the act.

Moe.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The problem, when catching these people, becomes: What do you do or say?

The first brand new car I bought was a '97 Grand Am. My wife and I loved that car - we had never owned a brand new car before. Well, here I was sitting in the JC Penney parking lot waiting for my wife to return something and this lady with her kids comes along and parks next to me. She comes around to the passenger side of her car to get her kids out, opens her door and slams it into my car. She then presses her fat ass against her door while struggling with her hellions and repeatedly smashes the door into my car. I rolled down my window and said, "Hey, will you knock that off? You're damaging my vehicle!" She gave me a dirty look, grabbed her kids and headed into the mall.

I considered my choices:

1. Get out and beat the hell out of her. I confess, this was what I REALLY wanted to do. I wanted to knock the stupid bi*** to the ground. On the other hand, someone once told me violence never solves anything. And my father taught me not to hit women. And I didn't really want to go to jail.

2. Beat the snot out of her car. It was a fairly nice looking, newer sedan. I had plenty of time, she just up and took off. I considered keying it up and down the side, perhaps smashing her windshield in. But then I would be stooping to her level. And, again, I didn't really want to go to jail. If I had been driving a rusty old truck, though, I can guaran-damn-tee you I would have countered by smashing her door in with mine. But then, if I was driving a rusty old truck, I wouldn't have cared that she hit my door.

3. Call the cops. I suppose I could have dialed 911 and filed a police report. But over what? A little damage to my door in a parking lot? A coworker of mine was driving through the Costco parking lot and another car backed into the side of his brand new Mustang, causing several thousands of dollars in damage. The driver of the other car told him to F off and left. He called the police with his license plate number. Their response? "It's a private parking lot. Unless it's an injury accident, we can't do anything." He called many attorneys but was told it would cost him more than he would get out of it. He considered small claims but drivers license information is private in Washington, thus he could not get the guy's name or address, thus how can he sue him? He was just shit out of luck.

End result? You can't do a thing to these people! :angry: :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks