What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Better known today for directing the cult classic Shaft (1971) – which helped to usher in the Blaxploitation genre – Gordon Parks was a man of many talents. Outside of directing, he was also an acclaimed photojournalist, artist, composer and novelist. For his first feature film – which was also the first time a Black American director made a Hollywood studio film – he turned to his early days in Kansas with The Learning Tree. Previously released on MOD DVD by Warner Bros. through their Warner Archive line, Criterion has given the movie its Blu-ray debut.

The Learning Tree (1969)

Released: 13 Mar 1970
Rated: PG
Runtime: 107 min

Director: Gordon Parks
Genre: Drama

Cast: Kyle Johnson, Alex Clarke, Estelle Evans
Writer(s): Gordon Parks, Genevieve Young

Plot: A bittersweet and idyllic story about a year in the life...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Great review! I saw this film when it was first released. I recall it being really gorgeous visually. This was from a brief period in the late 1960's, when Warners was going through management change, and they were releasing, with a big advertising budget, what would normally have been considered indie/art films, such as "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" & "Rachel, Rachel". I don't recall if "The Learning Tree" was successful, but it played off and on for over a year in neighborhood theaters in the NYC area, often on double bills with other films I wanted to see, so I ended up seeing it at least 6 or 7 times. It held up really well. Look forward to getting the Blu-Ray.

Kevin Antonio (Kev)

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Taffe
Very good film even if it's a little uneven in some areas it went to prove just how good a director Mr parks was and showed his expertise in photography and music ( he did the score itself on top of writing the story and directing). The bluray doesn't disappoints and even gives us a view into Mr parks working process. A lot gems are in the supplement. One of my favorite blurays this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks