What's new

LD component output? (1 Viewer)

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if there ever was a ld player that had component video output?I've been looking for one but I haven't been successful.I have seen some combo ld/dvd players with component but I believe that was for the dvd only.Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I don't believe so. The video on LaserDisc is analogue and was limited to composite and s-video only.
(of course I'll be happy to be proved othewise)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Rob is right regarding the laserdisc video. It was encoded to the disc as composite video. Nothing would be gained by sending it out as component video because it would require electronics inside the laserdisc player to convert the composite to component output. Better to let a high quality video processor do that in your line doubler/scaler or EDTV/HDTV.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The only LD players that could possibly be construed to have component output would be Japanese Muse LD players. The players themselves do not have component out, but an RCA-type cable that goes out to the Muse (Hi-Vision) decoder. The decoders have component and/or RGB output. These connections are, of course, only for Muse LDs. NTSC LDs use the player's S-Video or composite output. Best wishes from Laserland!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks