What's new

Recommendations for analog video processor (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Hey, folks.

I love my LG OLED C7P, but I have several older analog video components, like an LD player and even a CED player, and I'm finding that it often does a terrible job of deinterlacing the signal. It's hit-or-miss, but mostly miss. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive video processor that will properly deinterlace a composite signal and output HDMI?

Inexpensive is the key word, as I've blown most of my wad on my TV, AVR, and OPPO player and can't really justify another huge outlay of money just so I don't have combing and wavy still-frames when I watch my Laserdiscs. I'd say under $200.

Any help is appreciated.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Unfortunately, I don't think you will get rid of the deinterlacing issues entirely - it's just the nature of going from 480i to 2160p.

When did you get your AVR? Is it still elligible for return? If so, I'd look at upgrading to a model that can do analog to HDMI conversion.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Your best bet might be to find something like an old second-hand iScan Pro to deinterlace 480i to 480p and let either the set or receiver scale it up from there. I doubt there's anything new, especially anything cheap, that's going to be able to do what you want.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I don't think you will get rid of the deinterlacing issues entirely - it's just the nature of going from 480i to 2160p.

When did you get your AVR? Is it still elligible for return? If so, I'd look at upgrading to a model that can do analog to HDMI conversion.
It's too late to return my AVR, unfortunately, or I would. I haven't been happy with it. It will convert analog to HDMI, but doesn't really do any signal processing. It does straight analog to digital and sends it to the TV.

The bad thing is my previous AVR, a Pioneer that was several years old, had some very nice video processing capabilities and my Laserdiscs looked great. Sadly, it developed an issue with its HDMI board that caused the center audio channel to go out. It was intermittent at first, but eventually got to the point where it wasn't reliable at all. I miss that AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks