What's new

LCR600S3 vs. CDMC NT (1 Viewer)

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering returning my LCR600 for a cdmc nt. I never realized that that the cdmc nt cost only $100 more!!! I will audition these speakers this weekend but wanted some input before hand. I'm guessing that the cdmc nt's tweeter performance will be superior due to cdmcnt's nautilus tweeter vs. LCR600's MTM design. But in the midrange and bass, I'm wondering which speaker will fair better. They are both using the same sized kevlar drivers but the LCR having a 2.5 way design. Wouldn't the dual 6.5 inch drivers offer better management of the mid and bass ranges than a single driver? How is it possible that the cdmc nt frequency response (+-3db) goes 10hz lower than the LCR600? Those are the type of things running through my head. Anyone who has had both speakers or auditioned both speakers, please let me know what your thoughts were concerning these two speakers. Thanks.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
I have owned both of these center speakers, I preferred the CDM series, better imaging, more realistic sounding dialogue. I now own the Nautilus series speakers.
The 600 series sound closed in after you've heard the CDM series and Nautilus line. I would ask to audition both in your home and you decide. :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I agree with what Frank said, I own the 602/601 and was looking to get the LCR6 for the center, after careful research and listening, and the fact that the CDNC is only $100 more than teh LCR, teh choice was simple. I had no intentions of upgrading my 602s, but ended up getting the CDM7NT they sounded so good.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys. I searched on the web and there aren't too many reviews on either the LCR6, LCR600 or the CNT. Granted the tweeter will be better on the CNT and the single mid/bass driver will supposedly provide better imaging and clarity than the MTM arrangement. Given that it's only $100 more like you said, it seems like a no brainer. I'll take the plunge. But if anyone else owns a CNT, I'd still be interested in hearing comments about their pre-CNT center channel vs. the CNT.

Mike Main

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing I can compare it to is my Energy Encore center channel which sounds good. But compared to Cdm cnt, obviously its a world apart. You cant go wrong with either but $100, please unfortunately thats almost the cost of an interconnect. HEHE .. I really wanted 804's but there comes a time when u have to draw the line.
Mike
:emoji_thumbsup:

Ned

Supporting Actor
Hyun-

What are your main speakers? The CDM CNT is a better speaker than the LCR but if you have 600's for mains then the timbre and imaging won't be the same. The LCR is still a good speaker, so if your mains aren't CDM's then I wouldn't get the CNT.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
The CDMcNT matches very well with the 600 series, it does everything that the 600 does well, only better, seriously, they match great. That is one nice thing about B&W is that you can gradually upgrade speakers a set at a time and still have it blend very well (I still use the 601 for my rears with the CDM7 and C, and it does a great job, I don't feel a need to upgrade the 601s at all)

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
Ned... for my other speakers... I have 602S3's all around. It's surprising that you say the CNT won't timbre match very well with the 600 series. I agree with rodneyH in that the B&W series is relatively well timbre matched across product lines. They all use either nautilus tweeters or trickle down nautilus technology and have kevlar drivers. Do you have direct experience blending in a 602 with a CNT and experienced problems?

I feel like the benefits of the nautilus tweeter and non-MTM design of the CNT will far outweigh the minuses of any possible timbre inconsistencies. But since I haven't auditioned the CNT in my system, I can't really back that up with direct experience.

As well, I was looking for some feedback concerning the direct performance between the LCR and the CNT... and if the differences were noticibly great. Thanks.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I own the CDM's and I've heard the 600 series. The CDM's sound more like the Nautilus series than they do of the 600's. The open tweeter design is obviously why. If you're thinking of moving to 1NT's/7/9 later then it might be a good idea. If not, sorry they aren't timbre matched. Do you want timbre *matching* or timbre *similarity*?

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
Ned.... I do not plan on upgrading my main speakers for a long while. I don't believe MY ht warrants that. Music is a whole other story. So it will be 602's + (lcr600 OR cnt). If the nautilus tweeter comes through with more clarity and openess (compared to the 600 line tweeter) then that might be a welcomed contrast from what my mains are putting out... especially given the duties of a center channel. But specifics on timbre-differences between the LCR600 and CNT would be very much appreciated... maybe some qualitative subjective descriptions ;) Thanks

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Hyun, get a CDMC and bring it home, if you don't like it, get the 600 series, that is the best way to find out.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I know that in-home auditions are the way to go and I will have the CNT in my home at the end of this week to give it a listen. I just wanted people's opinions beforehand. I already have the LCR600 sitting at home. I don't have audiophile listening preferences and I'm only powering my speakers with a denon 3802 so I'm kinda skeptical whether or not the differences I hear in the CNT will be dramatic. Nevertheless, even if the improvement is minimal, I'll still probably end up keeping the CNT... only $100 extra. We'll see. The only way I'll return it is if it really doesn't timbre match and breaks up my front sound stage.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
If you do actually audition them I will make my prediction-

The CDMCNT will have a new home very soon

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
We'll see if your prediction holds true. I have a hunch it will too. I'll let you guys know what happens. Thank you all for your input.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Hyun, why have you not considered the LCR60?

It should mix very well with the 602S3, and it's a lot cheaper than the CDM and LCR600

I would give it a chance at the very least.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
Willem...

I did consider the LCR60 vs. LCR600 when I initially purchased my speakers. The main reason I went with the 600 was because of it's frequency response. The 600's freq resp better matched my 602's. The 602's start rolling off at 50 hz....the LCR600's at 60 hz and LCR60's at 70 hz. There was just too big of a gap in frequency response roll off between the 602 and LCR60's. You might be thinking that it doesn't matter because I can set my receiver's crossover at 80hz. Two answers to that. First and foremost, due to the WAF, I am going with no subwoofer for at least the next year. So I run all my speakers as large and need my center to go as low as possible. Secondly, when I finally get to add a sub and set speakers to small + 80hz crossover, there is still info below 80hz being passed to the speakers because the crossover is not a "cutoff" but a gradual rolloff. At least this is my understanding. And I wanted my center speaker to have enough range to easily support sub-80hz frequencies. Subjectively, when listening to the 60 vs. the 600, I felt the 600 gave more "punch" and a bigger sound stage... but these are subjective opinions and could have been caused by my brain's "bigger is better" fallacy. Regardless, that's how I felt so all reasons pointed to getting the LCR600.

Reasons I'm trying out the CNT: only $100 more!!! Nautilus tweeter, same frequency response as my 602's, non MTM speaker design that will hopefully result in better imaging and clarity.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the explanation Hyun.

If you're going to be running it "Large" it would definitely be a good idea to go for a "bulkier" center.

Looking at the CDM-C, It seems that the low frequency response of this speaker is better than the 600 (50Hz against 60Hz). A bit strange, as the 600 has two 165mm drivers and the CDM "only" one. Must be those big reflex ports and the sturdier build quality...

I don't think those specifications are rock solid, though.

Hyun K

Stunt Coordinator
I would guess that the dual ports of the CNT would enable it to go lower than the 600's same sized dual drivers. Dual drivers (given they are both the same size) will probably result in more sound pressure but not lower frequency response. Not sure if the two centers are using the same driver components either.

The specs that B&W gives seem legit... especially given that they list two frequency specs.

1. frequency response at +- 3db

2. entire frequency range that the speaker is able to produce.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
don't let the # of drivers fool you, there is much more to FR than just that (quality of the speaker and its specs, the box size, ports, x-over, etc....)

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I think you guys are right.

The build quality of the CDM series is sturdier, and probably uses higher quality components.

Your best bet is indeed the CDM-CNT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks