LCD remotes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Babek, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

Is it worth having this kind of remote? And does anyone know of good prices of some lcd remotes that available to Canada.
    thanks

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I own a pronto and I also own a HTM MX-500 and I use the MX-500. LCD has a lot of advantages but I never got used to not having buttons so after two years of using the pronto I bought the MX-500 and haven't looked back.

3. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

I'm also another that prefers the tactile feel of real buttons.

Ofcourse, I'm also a cheapskate, so bought a JP1-able URC-8811 remote from One For All ($25 from ebay). It does all I could ever want it to, and I can program it fully to do just about anything using the computer.

Check out the JP1 yahoogroup for more info.

4. Kurt Kelson

Kurt Kelson Extra

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

6. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

To get to Remote Central's home page, go here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

To get to Remote Central's "Clicker Picker", which is a wonderful tool to help you pick out of the 30 or 35 remotes that have been reviewed on the site, check here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/features/clicker.htm

And to get a full list of all of the reviews done by Remote Central's reviewer, and the reviews themselves, go here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews.htm

Another wealth of information is the "User Reviews" section on Remote Central, where actual users give their input and a rating up to 5 stars on their particular remote. Great info.

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/index.html

You'll find that since the website operator has devoted most of his time to this site, and has become virtually a remote control expert, that his reviews are the best anywhere - bar none.

... Greg

P.S. I have found that some of the best prices and the best customer service can be found at www.surfremotecontrol.com

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You can also always use your PDA. [​IMG]

8. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

PDA's still do not have the IR range nor the form factor required to be a great remote, IMHO.

9. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

10. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

All in all, I guess it's whatever works for the individual. That's why it's good to look at all avenues.

... Greg :)

11. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

12. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

To those who use PDA's as remotes. Do you leave them in the Living Room all the time? Or do you take them with you when you leave and force whoever else wants to use the system to use other means? [​IMG]

I prefer having a dedicated remote so it stays with the HT at all times. I bought the Pronto the year it came out and I am still very satisfied with it. It took me a while to find the perfect menu/macro/button layout but I haven't changed it for years now. The Pronto has all the hard buttons I need.

I prefer the freedom to create whatever I want and have buttons wherever I need. The Pronto can be language friendly too. You can label the buttons in a different language so it can cater to everyone. [​IMG]

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I guess it depends on your budget. You can buy two, bright, 65k color capable color PDA's for about $400-500, with 32mb of storage each. If you want one 256 color Pronto with 8mb of memory, it's $500+.