What's new

Lazy man gets mega changer (1 Viewer)

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
a megachanger is cool, but the sony does seem to have a bit too many problems.
Was this a budget-priced standard Sony, or an ES model? I've heard from others that there is a significant difference in longevity and performance between the lower end SONY models and the higher end units -- even though some of the convenience features appear to be the same.
I've noticed this difference in the Pioneer line of megachangers, where my Elite DV-F07 DVD/CD 300+1 changer performs without a hitch, while the "standard" Pioneer DV-F727, which appears to have the same operating features for a lot less money, has been reported to be break-down prone. I almost bought the F727 to save the $$$, since it looked to be the same unit without the fancy cabinet finish. But it was out-of-stock locally the day I bought my F07, and the local dealer gave me a price on the F07 that matched my Internet quote, so.... I lucked out on that one.
It kind of figures that with a mechanism as complex as a megachanger, if the appealingly low price for a mega changer is the same as for a budget-model stand alone (single disc) player, they had to cut corners somewhere on the changer. And if the feature set mimics a much higher priced changer model by the same manufacturer, there must be some qualitative reason for the stiffer entry fee on the more expensive unit other than just "prestige". Within certain relative ranges, we do tend to get what we pay for.
Burke

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Burke:
I was not "ES", so I guess it would be "low-end".
So I guess playing track 64 on a 12 track cd is to be expected????? :)
Sorry, not meaning to be ratty to you specifically, I am just sarcastic by nature. But low- or high-end, it should not make up track numbers, much less scrap and scratch cd's.
dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I agree that track number errors and scratching of discs should not happen, but the ES units are built better than the non-ES models all around. As a result, if such problems are going to arise, I would expect to hear of them occurring with non-ES players more frequently than with ES models. On the other hand, more people own the non-ES models, so I expect the frequency of performance issues with these players to be amplified. Still, I would expect better reliability from the ES models. For my money, I'll stick with ES.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks