1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lazy man gets mega changer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnFR, Aug 25, 2001.

1. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing my cds through my Sony DVPS300 DVD player, but I admit I get a litte tired of getting up to change the CD, especially after I get home from work. So I bought a Kenwood 200 CD mega changer (CD-3260M)and this thing is great. Now I can sit in my chair and go through my whole collection.
    This player is fairly inexpensive and one reason I decided to try it is because it has got coaxial digital output. Surprisingly, I got it home and noticed it has a dts sticker on the front. I didn't realize these lower end players would do dts audio. The sound is pretty good too, certainly fine for a lot of cds.
    Anybody have this model? I am still considering exchanging it for the Sony CD-CX235 or CX335.
    JR

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I believe that any player with a digital output can play DTS CDs. Instead of having a PCM bit stream they have DTS bit stream, and its up to the receiver to figure it out. Even 1st gen DVD players that can't handle DTS DVDs can handle DTS CDs, and I imagine that DTS on LDs was done the same way.

3. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

4. Keith Mickunas

There's something about the way DTS is encoded on a DVD. The DVD player has to detect a flag on the disc to choose between that or the DD (there's at least a 2.0 track on all discs I believe). 1st gen players didn't know about the flag. On CDs and LDs, there's no alternative. Instead of PCM, there's DTS. The player passes the bits without any regard to what they are. However I'm guessing that if you played a DTS CD through the analog outputs on the CD player either nothing would happen or you'd hear some weird noise. When playing a CD of any type, a DVD player is acting like a CD player, so it'll pass those bits along also.
    As for the Sony, I've had a 200 disc changer for just over two years now. Its worked pretty good for me. One advantage of the Sony is this: http://www.nirvis.com/
    One of these days I'm going to buy the Slink-e, it looks so cool I got to have one.

5. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    Thanks for explaining about the flag on dts DVDs. I have always wondered why the Sony wouldn't play dts, since it's connected by toslink to my Outlaw 1050 - the Sony doesn't have an onboard decoder. I didn't know dts audio disks don't also contain a pcm track.
    JR
    [Edited last by JohnFR on August 26, 2001 at 01:05 AM]

6. Keith Mickunas

I'm assuming DTS CDs don't have PCM. That's about the only way I could see that they would work. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can jump in here and make sure I didn't give any false info.

7. Peter Mansell

Yes, DTS CDs don't have PCM. The DTS CD fools the player into thinking it is a normal CD. Through the digital out you get DTS which needs a decoder. Through the analog out it sounds like white noise.
    Peter M

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

A Mega changer is a neat idea. The only things is, how do you remember where all the CD's are? Also, if you want to listen to a CD on the road or with a personal walkman, you have to open the player and find it and if you leave it in the car, your whole system is fubar'd.
    Actually, I was thinking with the 100,200 and 300 disc CD changers, you could buy a bunch of CDR's for really cheap in bulk, say like 100 at a time and backup your entire collection and then have those in your changer. It really wouldn't cost that much, like $60 or $70 per 100 CDR's, and it would take you some time to do unless you have a 20 or 24 speed burner.

9. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

As someone who sold Sony and Kenwood, DO NOT get rid of the Kenwood. The biggest by far reliability issues we had were with the Sony pieces.......the first 2 300 disc changers(not same shipment....one arrived 2 weeks after the first one) were DOA! I had to deal with a VERY irate customer who bought the 300 because they had all Sony............it ate the first disc they put in it. I handed them a Kenwood 200 disc(think it was the 425) and never saw them again. Keep the Kenwood(I personally sold over 50 of the 423s and 425s.....never had any problems and 3 people came back to buy another one). Or, if you want more than 200, get the 300 disc Pioneers. I have 1 1007(CD) and 2 DVF-727s(DVD/CD). I love them and could recommend highly. The Sonys have had the reliabilty issue..........not the Kenwoods and Pioneers. Keep it! Be happy!

10. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I have owned Sony CD Jukeboxes, or whatever you want to call them for over 5 years now.
    I've owned three 200s, one 300s, and one 400. The last three were ES models.
    I have had zero problems with them, the only reason I bought new ones was because I ran out of room & upgraded. I started buying ES for the longer warranty, but have yet to need it on any item.
    The 'Mega-Changer' is awesome. With x-fade on it'll swap between players at the end of a song. It can be rather entertaining combos to fade out of Metallica and into Garth Brooks some times, but they work flawlessly.
    To my knowledge though, they do not play dts CDs. Though I do not have any to try. They do have digital output though.
    ------------------

11. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Chris,
    That's why you label the discs in the cd changer [​IMG] I've recently been shopping for a megachanger, just make sure to get one that accepts keyboard input. I'd hate to try and label 300 cds using a remote control or the front panel.
    Although I only had limited exposure to one Sony model, the non-ES 400 disc $250 model at Best Buy, I didn't care for it at all. This changer does not read CD-Rs, and probably not CD-RWs, which is fair since it doesn't actually advertise said capability. However, my Braveheart Soundtrack cd also would not play correctly, and it hardly has any scratches at all. I have never had problems playing that disc in any other player. Now I don't know if this was just this specific unit that had trouble, or if all of them would have had problems, but if it was the former, than that would seem to indicate the type of quality issues that Corbin was mentioning. Now the ES models that Tom mentioned should be much better quality, since you're paying a ton more. They look identical to their lower end counterparts however, but I assume the parts inside are better. For the Sony low-end model, I also didn't like the way the discs fit in it. They felt very wobbly, and not real stable. Not sure if this was just due to the fact that you could stick in 400 discs or what. The Pioneer model I picked up seems to have the discs much more secure. This may be due to the fact that I'm comparing low-end Sony vs high-end Pioneer, not the fairest of comparisons, but since even the ES Sonys don't support CD-R/CD-RW, there was no point in hassling the salesman to let me take it home.
    Anyways, I ended up getting the 301 disc Pioneer Elite PD-F27, which can be found online for around $390. It does officially support CD-R/CD-RW, and has worked fine with a couple CD-Rs that I threw at it. Haven't gotten around to trying out an RW yet. I believe Pioneer supports a similar fade mechanism if you get more than one Pioneer changer as well. Oh yeah, one of the bad things about the Pioneer, is that it does have slower disc access than the sony. To me it's not a real big deal, but to others it might be. It probably takes about a full 15 seconds to go from one disc to the next. Not sure how long the Sony took, but it felt much quicker.

12. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

Nothing in the documentation of the Kenwood states that it does or does not support CDRs or CDRWs. However, I have put 3 of my CDRs and it plays them fine. I haven't tried a CDRW, but I don't use them for CDs because CDR blanks are cheap enough. My master plan is to burn copies of all my CDs with CD text from CDDB and put them in the player. For right now, though, I just put all my CDs in and am making a book by cutting and pasting CDDB info into a Word file. Inputing title and artist info using the remote is too tedious and time-consuming.
    Tom,
    I was looking at the specs for the Sony ES CDP-M3333ES 400 disc player in the Crutchfield catalog. I hadn't noticed before that it has a 5 year warranty. Looks like a great unit, but pricey. I dunno. I wish there was a local store that carried the ES line so I could see one in person.
    John,
    I notice the Pioneer you have has both coax and optical output, which is nice. I timed the Kenwood and also takes right at 15 seconds to go from disc to disc. Are the Sonys substantially faster?
    BTW, I came across this Feurio! CD burning software. For those who don't already know about it, it is a free full-featured trial. This program gives you all sorts of advanced information about your system (and points out files and drivers that may interfere with the burning process), will do CD text and will download CDDB info for you. For some reason, I can make copies with my 8X drive about 30% faster than with Easy CD Creator (doing a disc image). The fellow who wrote this software is extremely clever, and I plan on registering my copy. Check it out at http://www.feurio.com
    JR

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I have had two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc CD megachangers since May 2000 and have never had a problem with either of them. They are daisy-chained, and the flexibility, build quality, and sound quality of these ES players can't be beat as far as megachangers go, in my opinion. Furthermore, they came with a five-year warranty and were only $400 each from J&R Music World ($600 retail last year). The 'CX333ES and 'CX555ES from last year have been replaced with the CDP-M333ES and 'M555ES 400-disc megachangers, which offer similar build and sound quality along with greater capacity. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sony ES megachangers. By the way, the 'CX333ES plays CD-Rs and CD-RWs.
    Corbin, although I can understand your bad experiences with Sony megachangers, no company is perfect. Note that your Pioneer PD-F1007 301-disc megachanger was well known for suffering from memory dumps. That is, owners would turn on their player one day and would find that all disc titles stored in the memory were erased. You can imagine how frustrating this would be. I read about this on reviews for the 'F1007 on audioreview.com. Furthermore, reviews on audioreview.com for the Pioneer DV-F727 show that many people have received defective units out of the box (bad disc loading mechanisms).
    I recently moved and had my Sony 'CX333ES units unplugged for six weeks. When I set them up in my new home, I was quite pleased to see that all disc titles stored in the memory were preserved. Furthermore, I regularly unplug the surge protectors in my home theater during electrical storms or when I am away from the house for extended periods due to the loss of a computer during a storm recently. Once again, I have never lost the disc titles stored in the 'CX333ES units during these unplugged periods.
    My point is not to say that Sony megachangers are superior to Pioneer's or that you own inferior components. As I said, no company is perfect. You have seen the worst of Sony in your experience with its megachangers, but others have seen the worst of Pioneer.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 27, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

14. Brian Lipszyc

Brian Lipszyc Auditioning

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My story goes something like this. I had a single disc cd player to begin with but I always wanted more CD's for random listening etc so I purchased a 5 disk Marantz changer and loved it. The reason I went with the 5 disc model was that I didn't like the idea of having to have a list of where all my CD's were for a mega changer. Fast forward a few months to the day I get my pronto remote...now everything starts to fall into place. I'm now using the supernudelist software (free) to give me almost instant access to any CD in my 300 Sony changer...I love it. The pronto may not be the solution for everyone but IMO its the slickest way to do it. I've also started burning my CD's to CDR with CD-Text so I don't have to enter disc titles and I get track titles as well. If you want to see what a pronto with the software looks like there's a current copy of my CCF on my website. Just download it and check it out.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

16. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

17. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Typing in all the titles isn't fun, but it can be done.
    Get's rather entertaining on the older model trying to come up with artist/title in 14 chars or less. At least the new one (the 555 ES Model) goes longer.
    Just moved, and I'd always said 'when i buy a house...' I'll type in all the titles. Since I packed all the CDs prior to moving (didn't want to have a chance of them getting knocked loose while inside) and re-loaded the player, I typed in each title as I went along.
    What is really annoying is the CDs that have CD Text on the song titles, but not ont he CD itself, so you keep thinking you missed one, go in, type it in, and then the next time it plays it wipes out the title you typed in. I believe the one that does that is Aerosmith's Nine Lives...not sure though.
    And for heaven's sake, don't order an ES from Crutchfield. On Crutchfield's site ES = LIST PRICE ONLY. They are idiots. I have a local dealer, I believe I got the 555ES model (only diff is better remote, they didn't have 333, $25 diff) for $533 with tax about a year ago I think.
    Tom
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Tom Boucher on August 28, 2001 at 05:54 PM]

18. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

Sorry, that was $587 for the 555, the $533 was the year earlier when I bought the 300 ES model.
    ------------------

19. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hi
    I have had a sony mega changer for a while. Yes, they are cool for the "Lazy" man. But my sony has had it's problems.
    Various glitches pop up every now and again... in shuffle mode, it will sometimes try and play a cd NOT in the group I am playing, and lock up. Other times, it will attempt to play cut 78 or so... and lock up. (I have a pretty normal cd collection, with 10-20 cuts per cd. Where it is getting these astronompical cut numbers from I have no clue!)
    Finally, I have noticed the sony is not kind to CD's in the changer. It does seem to scratch them, and gunk them up.... one to the point I had to trash the cd.
    Bottom line, I would NOT recommend the sony based on my experience with it... a mega changer is cool, but the sony does seem to have a bit too many problems. Not to mention the (total lack of) sony tech support.... but that is another rant!
    dave

20. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

i was in the market for a new cd player last month...i had been looking at changers but a few things made me "iffy" about buying one.
    -i have like 800 cds so unless i bought like 3 changers i couldnt have them all in a changer.
    -unless i wanted to copy all 800 cds it'd be a pain in the butt to pull one cd that i want and bring it in the car.
    - the size! i didnt realize how freaking big these things are! the back end would have been pooping out of my flexy-rack.
    soooo...i bought a 5-disc sony es player. cheaper enough, easy to get that one disc if it happens to be in the player, and it fits in my rack
    i also kept my single disc player for when i just wanna pop in a cd really quick or play a friends cd