What's new

Layne's death confirmed accidental.. (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Coronor's confirmed it a mixture of heroin and cocaine, and an accidental overdose. Ironically his death timed April 5th, same day as Kurt in 94. Not to beat a dead-horse, but the information was just released Monday. Just a note to fellow Music Forumers.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I am sooooo biting my tongue here. The man has died, and had many fans, and well, any death is no trivial thing, but... well, let me remove myself from the present situation for a moment.
Extremely conservatine and holier-than-though diatribe follows. Do not read if you are easily pissed.
I love punk rock, and love the Sex Pistols, yet I don't put Sid Viscious on a pedestal. Nor do I get the grief over Morrison or Cobain. We've made martyrs of people who either deliberately or wantonly orchestrated their own deaths. Out of general respect for the dead and those that mourn, I'll be happy to receive emails on this subject, rather than turning this thread into a battlezone. [email protected]
While I personally won't weep, my sincere condolences to Staley's family, friends, and fans.

Ike

Screenwriter
Ben,

They aren't putting him on a pedestal. They are just expressing grief over losing someone-their fault or not-that made music they loved.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Ike,

Not one kid out there will idolize Staley now more than ever in martydom fashion? Oh, okay. I believe you. Again, if anybody would like to adress my comments, I'd invite emails, much rather than openly discuss it. Either that, or I just may remove my post entirely.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
It is sad that Layne had to have such a problem. Addiction is a disease. It is sad that people need to do these types of things to make themselves feel better or to get through life. I had an addiction, but I beat it. I knew that things were starting to change and that is when I decided to change.
I loved Layne's music. The man was one of the most talented singers in music. He was a wonderful artist that created music that I will listen to until the day I die. I don't put Layne on a pedestal, but I do put him in a group of elite musicians whose music moved and still does move me.
My pain is self chosen
At least, I believe it to be

Layne's lyrics and music really speak a lot about his life. However, the man did not want to get better. That is a shame and I will miss him more than any other musician that has died. :frowning:
-Dean-

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Dying from an addiction to illegal drugs is no different than the smoker dying from lung cancer, the drinker dying from liver failure, or an obese person dying from heart disease. All are preventable. So should we just lump them all together and refuse to mourn their passing because it's all their fault? I think not.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So should we just lump them all together and refuse to mourn their passing because it's all their fault? I think not.
Well Todd, I for one did not say we should not mourn their passing - just that "accidental" looked a bit out of place if not wrong given the circumstances of the death.

That's all, nothing more or less.

Lee

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
I was a huge AIC fan since the beginning however, I just now managed to pick up their Music Bank-The Videos DVD and their Unplugged DVD. Both are excellent and highly recommended.

RIP Layne. You are missed greatly.

Up the Irons.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Already had Unplugged on DVD, am now going to buy Music Bank.

And no, I don't think people (esp. kids) are going to idolize Staley for his lifestyle now that he's dead. We're just getting together to share our grief in losing one of our generation's talented music artist.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I was at the Jerry Cantrell/Nickleback concert in Albuquerque last night and the highlight of the show, IMO, was Jerry's tribute to Layne with a rendition of Down in a Hole.

I feel differently about that song now, since it was at the time of release, a foreshadowing of things to come.

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
Hoefully, Buzz, he'll come back by himself. He played at the Launchpad the last two times he was here and closed the show with Pink Floyd numbers each time.

On the Jim Beam tour, he was billed as the opening act, so he didn't get as much playing time as I would have liked(I went just to see Jerry, but I must admit that Nickleback put on a better show than I expected).

DJ

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I played Down in a Hole in the past, for friends, I could always sort of channel the pain that went into making that song. Now I'm not sure I can ever play that song again without breaking down.

I'm glad Jerry Cantrell played it. I saw him a couple of years ago in Anaheim and loved his show (along with the two Alice shows I saw). Seems like a good guy. I wish him the best, maybe he can keep the memory of Layne alive through music.

David Judah

Screenwriter
When he began playing the song, after he announced the dedication, and the audience held up their lighters, you could tell he was moved. He thanked the crowd and poured out his emotion into the music.

I think he will keep the memory of Layne alive through the music, but I lament that they won't be able to collaborate again.

DJ

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Down in a Hole will definitely be hard to listen to now. I never got the chance to see them live but hope Jerry will continue to make great music. He's a hell of a songwriter and a good singer as well. I would like to see him get with Chris Cornell some time in the future.

Several years ago I thought Scott Weiland was on his way to self destruction. I did get the chance to see STP live and I'm glad to see they are still around.

Drew Wimmer

Stunt Coordinator
nah, I don't think layne's death wasn't accidental, he wasn't a happy guy at all, his lyrics are proof of that

it killed me when i heard that he'd died, but maybe it's better this way, some people just aren't happy no matter what they do "if i can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"

and now that i think about it it's kinda selfish to want a person to keep on living in pain like he did just to hear more of their music

he's no martyr, there's no cause that he could be a martyr for, die-hard fans typically follow the wishes of those they idolize, i think "don't follow" is a pretty clear message to listeners to stay away from his way of life

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.