What's new

Last of The Mohicans - different releases? (1 Viewer)

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
I was searching for some reviews/discussions regarding the two available releases of Last of the Mohicans (DD and DTS). I came upon an older thread where someone stated that there were plans to release a "theatrical" version of the film. (The existing releases are both "Director's Cuts".)
I currently own the original DD edition, and am not overly impressed with the picture quality when viewed on a 57" widescreen RPTV. It was stated on the old thread that "the new anamorphic transfer for the DTS version is greatly improved..."
Sooo, for those of you who've seen both versions of the existing DVDs...I was wondering if it's worth the additional $$ to "double-dip" and purchase the DTS version....OR can anyone verify if they've heard of yet another pending DVD release of this film? I don't mind purchasing the DTS release if the video quality is superior to the first edition, I just don't want to "triple-dip!" :frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jenna,

I haven't heard of anything about a definite new release of this film on dvd. I own both dvd versions and the DTS version is vastly superior in picture quality and sound. Also, Michael Mann is not a big proponent of special dvd releases, so the Directors Cut of this film is probably all we're going to get for a while on dvd.

Crawdaddy

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
This probably won't be of any use to you, but if you've got a multi-region player the Warner R4 and R2 releases are apparently the theatrical version - reviews here and Link Removed.

YANG

Screenwriter
I have both the first edition and the "ENHANCED" re-release...the second DTS edition.Both picture quality looks fine to me,the second edition wins by only a little bit of sharpness.

The best part that the second edition wins over the first one is the audio quality,certainly DTS surround sound presents the movie music score more better than the first edition.

Gruson

Second Unit
I would love to have the theatrical version of this movie, as it is MUCH better than this new Director's Cut.
Time for a region free DVD player I guess :)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I have been patiently waiting for a theatrical cut of Last of the Mohicans on DVD for some time now. I held off on buying the new "expanded" version after I read about the changes and held onto my widescreen VHS tape. I don't care about extras or some special edition (although it couldn't hurt!) but just to have the superior version on DVD.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
The Director's Cut not only adds back footage to the film, but it also cuts out parts and and re-arranges others as well. The result is a director's cut that becomes a more "Politically Correct" tale with a "slap you in the face" message tagged on at the end that patonizes viewers with more than half a brain (i.e. we already knew the United States screwed Native Americans in conquering the continent).
The theatrical cut is easily the better version of the film IMO, as it flows better and gives more dignity to the characters and the situations in which they find themselves.
I've got both the Dolby Digital DVD of the Director's Cut and the THX Dolby Digital Laserdisc. The laserdisc includes the theatrical trailer.
Picture quality of the laser disc is easily as good as the non-anamorphic DD DVD when your monitor is calibrated to optimize LD (just a scant more noise in the picture though). Sound of the LD is better (both DD and Linear PCM) than the DD DVD.
I have not seen the anamorphic DTS DVD, so I can't comment there.
:cool: Long Live Laser Disc! :cool:

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Thanks, everyone, for the great info. I took the plunge and purchased the DTS/Enhanced version of the film and will watch it this week during my downtime. It's such an amazing film and well deserving of the best viewing available. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
bringing up old topic.

i found 2 different versions of the dvd at a rental store today.

one is dir cut with dts and the other is not.

non dts has a run time of 114 min.

i know what the dts version is but what is this 114 min version?

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The IMDB says that the two versions run 112 min (theatrical cut) and 117 min (director's cut). My best guess is that 114 min is the theatrical cut plus end credits.
There is also a full listing of the differences between the versions at the IMDB here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104691/alternateversions
Reading over the list, I must say that the director's cut does sound like an improvement, although I'd like to see a longer cut that includes all the footage from both versions.
EDIT: My copy of the Director's Expanded Edition DVD (Widescreen Enhanced DTS version) lists 117 minutes on the cover, but the actual film runs 111 minutes before credits. So I'm guessing the 114 minute cut is the theatrical version. Nice find, I'd grab it, if only for rarity's sake.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i ask because after going through about a dozen topics dealing with this and other movies i got the impression that both versions are a dir cut, just different cuts.

i could only find info to a theatrical being from non reg 1 sources.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I prefer the theatrical cut. The DC adds an overly obvious political statement to the ending that is nearly laughable in how obnoxious and over the top it is. Also, some good lines are omitted and some new scenes that are unnecessary are added. It messes with the nice pacing a lot too.

I thought the only available DVD was the DC.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
posted by michael reuben in another oldthread.

"Looks like I'll have to scrounge to find the earlier release of Mohicans on DVD

Not if you want the theatrical version. Both DVDs to date have the version that Michael Mann re-edited. The big difference between them is that the earlier version wasn't enhanced for 16:9, and the image was soft and blurry.

The only source I know of for the theatrical version in its OAR is laser disc. There were two LDs; the initial release had a stereo PCM track, while the later THX-certified version had an improved image and added DD 5.1."

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
dont forget-the theatrical has the Enya song (I will Follow) as Daniel, his Father and Brother go looking for Cora and her sister whom are taken prisoner, which was cut out of the DC

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Yeah, I meant to mention that, Mark, along with the fact that some other scenes seem to be missing music as well if I remember correctly.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
You think the DC ending is obnoxious and over-the-top? That's a little harsh. I don't think it's nearly so bad. I think it all has to do with whatever version you've seen first... I saw the DC first and that's the version I know, I've made my peace with whatever quibbles I've got. On the whole, I think the theatrical cut "lacks" a few things that the director's cut has. Both versions are paced beautifully.
I would compare this debate to the nostalgiac "give my vintage Star Wars" debate, but that's opening up a real can of worms. This alternate versions thing is getting old pretty fast, though -- I know a lot of people are all riled up about the new director's cut of The Warriors and people are going to debate until the end of time whether the extended Lord of the Rings are better than the theatrical releases.
I liked both versions of Blade Runner, but prefer the director's cut. I love both cuts of the Rings films, but prefer the theatrical (director's) cuts. Apoccalypse Now was better in it's theatrical form -- the Redux is like a different film altogether. George Lucas mucking around with Star Wars wasn't a great idea, but, hey, when he tinkered with THX 1138 the results were great. And I'm sure the director's cut of The Warriors is closer to what Walter Hill intended (he states that he wanted those opticals done initially) and perhaps nostalgia blocks fans from recognizing that perhaps the true personality of the film was misrepresented by the theatrical release version.
Director's cuts mean original intent. Theatrical versions are easy to fall in love with, but in the end, if the director didn't have final cut, you can't say you know what the film is really like until you see his version. And second-guessing the director is not the duty of the viewer. These are creative decisions. Sometimes your taste deviates from the director's. Michael Mann didn't shoot that alternate ending to Mohicans in 2001, it was in the original script and he decided that he wanted it reinstated. Nostalgia gives audiences beer goggles. The new version, lacking the nostalgia, doesn't often look as appealing but that doesn't mean it isn't truer...
That's a general rant, please don't take it personal, Kain_C. It's just my opinion. :)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
dont forget-the theatrical has the Enya song (I will Follow) as Daniel, his Father and Brother go looking for Cora and her sister whom are taken prisoner, which was cut out of the DC
You mean Clannad ;)
Anyhoo, just to reiterate, the theatrical version is not available in the United States. What you saw in the rental store had to be the original DD release unless this place is in the habit of having non-Reg 1 stuff. I have the Brazilian Last of the Mohicans theatrical cut DVD. That is the best place to get it as it was cheap, NTSC, and excellent quality.
Here is a link to where I bought it. http://dvdworld.com.br/dvdworld.hts?+ZP12619+acha
I prefer the director's cut on the whole. The Clannad song was out-of-place in my opinion even though I like the song. I was also glad they removed the cheesey Hawkeye line "Some day you and I are going to have a real disagreement." I do agree the new ending is a bit preachy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what we have at the store is 2different versions.

the dts dvd and another one no dts.

the first one has a '99 release date.the dts i think was '02 date.

region 1 legit dvds for both.

i never knew there was a first release or i just forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks