What's new

Laserdisc Player (1 Viewer)

ScottMP

Auditioning
I have a Pioneer DVL-919. Is anyone out there making a higher performing laserdisc player than this Pioneer unit?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No. As a matter of fact, nobody is making any LD players any more. If you look at the used market, there are many that are better, but they are very expensive. The 919 is a solid player.

gregD

Second Unit
Hang on to that 919 for dear life.

It's the end of an era... the 919 seems to still be part of the current Pioneer line... Theta still offers their Voyager DVD/LD/CD transport (at well over $5k) which is presumably a better performer, but I've never seen one firsthand.

My 919 is a keeper... solid performer all the way around... but I guess someday I'll have to move to a DVD-R and archive the LD library (200 titles).

Fun while it lasted.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi the 919 is a good performer, ok DVD and okay LD functions.

I currently have extras of a 704 and a 79 and would be willing to do a trade plus cash to you to obtain a 919. My wife is wanting a combo player for her HT, and a 919 would be perfect.

Let me know if interested.

Gregg

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
The 919 is ok LD player. If you have the money there is MUCH MUCH better LD player than that one.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mattias, you naughty boy. Why'd you have to go and tell him? If Scott gets upgrade fever, it'll be your fault! ;) You just had to testify. :)
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif
:alien: Nipponese bon bons
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
! Best wishes! :)

gregD

Second Unit

OK, I give up... what is that better LD player?

Aside from the 919, I'm only aware of the Theta Voyager, which is strictly a transport... at a whopping $5k.

Leo

Second Unit
Oh, no gregD. You've gone and done it. You've awaken the great Rachael B. the Big Disc Cat. Hold on to your wallet for dear life or be prepared to spend big bucks! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, actually the Theta Voyager is based on the 919 platform. It's been awhile since I looked at one but videowise the Voyager isn't much better than the 919. Audio is a whole other story, of course! Mattias and I both have the Nipponese, Pioneer HLD-X9 and I have the LD-S9 too. These are amongst the best players around. Best wishes!:)

gregD

Second Unit
Hey... thanks, laserheads!... don't worry about my wallet -- nothin' but dust in there lately.

Interesting stuff, esp re: Theta... but doesn't the Voyager pre-date the 919?... or is the 919 itself based on a prior Pioneer platform shared by the Voyager?

Either way, I'm happy with my 919... not state-of-the-art, but I can't imagine doing better for $1k... it will eventually go the way of the dinosaur once I get a DVD-R and dub the LD library, esp the classic animation.

Speaking of which - and not to go off-topic, but - do you guys know any sources to get Japanese-only import LDs?... the specific title I'm seeking is a Looney Tunes box set entitled "Stars of Space Jam"... probably way out of print by now... http://looney.toonzone.net/video/japanlaser.html

Stay tooned!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, you'd get a better dub off your LD's with CLD's 99, 79, or 704. You'd get an even better dub with an S9 if you used S-video connections. You'd really get a better read with an X9 any way you hooked it up! Theta used a variety of Pioneer transports for their players over the years. The Voyager coincides exactly with the advent of the DVL models as best I can remember.

There are an awful lot of Nipponese LD's on E-bay these dayz. I would think that you could find that LD eventually. Best wishes!

gregD

Second Unit
Rachael... you're good... you're very good.

You come by your nickname 'Big Disc Cat' honestly.

Clearly, you've been thru more than a couple LD players.

OK, guess I gotta pick up a 99, 79, 704, S9 or X9 to make proper dubs... but that's after I pick up a proper DVD-R, maybe after a couple more generations go by...

How did all this happen?... I'm usually way more concerned with the audio side...

You're good.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Greg, I ought to have the LD thang by now. I started collecting discs and players in 1987. I've owned about 20 players... I hope we'll get video disc recorders with an optical in eventually. That would be very useful for LD's amongst other thangs too. Good luck on finding a superior player. You might add the CLD-97 and it's clone the Mac 7020 to your list. Good luck on your quests!:)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
gregD: You're going to have a whale of a time coming up with Stars of Space Jam (there's also a companion set called Bugs Bunny & Friends). During the great big LD selloff (long over), one retailer was selling these sets for $60, although I don't know if anyone actually got one - my order was cancelled. That was then. Now, I have seen these them go for as much as $500+ each on Ebay. Like a moron, I passed on a "Buy It Now" for $90 each a couple years ago, before I realized what they were (I ultimately paid the same price, but had to add shipping from Japan).

So don't get your hopes up of finding a set a from a retailer, unless you get very, very lucky.

Please e-mail me for further information.

gregD

Second Unit
Alan... thanx for posting... oh yeah, I know all about it... went down the same path as you, even right down to declining an Ebay 'buy it now' option ($150)... have also been in on the multi-hundred dollar bidding... I gave up on retailers a long time ago... even went searching for Japanese outlets (not an easy task).

I still keep an eye open for it, but am not holding my breath... am not shelling out any $3-500, either.

The good news for toonheads is that WB has recently begun proper restoration work on its classic animation library... and i mean proper -- from original negatives, with original title footage restored... presumably headed for DVD... http://www.cartoonresearch.com/comments.html ... scroll down to "5/22/03 - POPEYE MEETS SINDBAD!" for info.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Hot damn Greg! I'm glad I'm not intrested in that one! I paid $200 for a copy of SONG OF THE SOUTH. That's about as looney as I've gotten.;) :)

gregD

Second Unit
Well, now I feel a little better about the $75 I spent on "SONG..."

For those of you just joining us... yes -- we are nuts... plain crazy... mad as a hatter...

Fun, though.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Well, now I feel a little better about the $75 I spent on "SONG..."

For those of you just joining us... yes -- we are nuts... plain crazy... mad as a hatter...
Well, I did also something that people maybe would call mad. After I got my new HLD-X9 player (2600US$ + almost 1000US$ in toll and duty) I got one more new HLD-X9!!!

That's HOW crazy I am!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks