What's new

Large or Small? (1 Viewer)

Julio

Agent
what do I set my receiver to what speaker size would give me the better sound I have 6 1/2 speakers?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
In most cases, SMALL is the best option.

However, if you have a no subwoofer, set the speakers to LARGE. And if your speakers are huge monsters that can pump out all the bass they want without the help of a subwoofer, you can set them to LARGE.

But in nearly every home theater, you want to set the speakers to SMALL.

Scott*E

Stunt Coordinator
When you set it to "Large" the reciever sends the full freqency range (20KHz to 20Hz) to the speakers. When you set it to "Small" the reciever enables a low pass filter that will send the lower freqencies to the pre-amp level subwoofer output. That low pass filter may be fixed or adjustable (check the reciever manual). If your speakers cover the full range, 20KHz to 20Hz, set them for large. If they don't, set them for small, find out how low they go (check the speaker manual) and set the low pass filter (if it's adjustable) to pick up where the speakers leave off. Those frequecies will be sent to the pre-amp level subwoofer output.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
20 Mhz is weapons grade sound waves :)
Julio - It is always a good practice to recalibrate when you change settings or speaker positioning. When I added a better sub and set speakers to small I did find that I had about a 3 -5 db swing (sometimes hotter, sometimes less). Not sure why, so I'll preach the conservative approach and suggest recalibration.

Julio

Agent
thanks guys

I'll check it out in small if I don't like it I'll switch it back to LARGE my speakers can handle the bass in large

Julio

Agent
I read here that I can set the front speakers to LARGE and the center and surrounds to small
Link Removed

Arron H

Second Unit
Julio,

What speakers and sub are you using? As the article you posted points out, most systems usually sound better with all speakers set to small, with the sub handling the low bass and LFE.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you've got some MONSTER speakers with powered subs or separate amps, or don't have a sub, you will be better off in 99% of the cases with the speakers set to small and the sub handling base.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
With 6 1/2" woofers on your main speakers, I would set them to small, and your centre also or else you will be missing a portion of the mid-lower bass. Of course, you will also need to re-calibrate also.

Good luck.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I assume you have a subwoofer? I have found that using a subwoofer with speakers sounds best with the speakers set to small. However you do it, with whatever crossover, the idea is to make sure that the subwoofer and speakers are not duplicating any part of the frequency range such that it strays from a flat frequency response. Another words, there will and should be, a blending at some frequencies, but you don't want major duplication which might cause humps and valleys. This is done by using the SMALL setting on your receiver or by using an outboard crossover between pre-amp and ampilifier sections. Some people like using the LARGE setting with their subwoofer, but your milage will vary. After experiementing, I have found the SMALL setting is far superior sounding when I use my subwoofer and front speakers for music or movies.

Julio

Agent
I noticed alot of differents when I was using my speakers as large I think to me they sounded louder on LARGE but maybe after 2 movies I would say different

when I calibrated my speakers I had to lower the settings from withing the receiver and I had to raise the subwoofer from withing the receiver's menu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks